A proposal for the new game

Jolieo

Feb 18, 2018
Hi !
I think we hashed out the topic - fougere- for the next game.
I had an idea, feel free to put me back in my cage if I am overinfing!
what if we dragged everyone along with us on our progress? So I would give a blow by blow- results, dilutions , thinking , materials, everything- and instead of reposting, editing the first post, perhaps dating the new entry.
ofcourse we might overlap on ideas, but even so - the outcome would probably seriously differ- and if you like the sharing of the process could stop before revealing the final formula- then we could share w each other and the judges…

mnitabach

Nov 13, 2020
I do a lot of this already & I think it's a great idea. However, I like the idea of we each start our own thread of the creative process w a new post for each iteration. This then creates an easily accessible record of the creative process for each perfume. I am all for total formula transparency as a part of this, but I understand that some entrants might not want to disclose & some judges might not want to see formulas before testing.

Jolieo

Feb 18, 2018
So for instance: Jolie’s fougere or Mike’s fougere as a separate thread?
i am open to it- I just like being able to see all relevant in one spot rather than relying on search function or bumping or scrolling.

mnitabach

Nov 13, 2020
That's what I'm proposing, as it keeps things very well organized for during the development process but also for future reference. Dunno about new forum software, but in the old forum, editing a post doesn't mark the thread as unread & send it to the top of the forum. This makes it impossible to follow people's updates using the method you proposed. Better IMO to have separate threads for each entrant & add a new post for each update.

xii

Jun 9, 2015
I think we could start the new game with the fougere theme and smoothen things out as we go. I like the idea of logging the progress even if it might take quite some time befoore I have anything to share.

AdamE

Jul 15, 2019
Id hate to color the judges perceptions should they read progress notes along the way. Would there be any way to make your notes as a draft post, and then we could each post them once the game is closed or all submissions have been received?

Jolieo

Feb 18, 2018
Id hate to color the judges perceptions should they read progress notes along the way. Would there be any way to make your notes as a draft post, and then we could each post them once the game is closed or all submissions have been received?
Hey Adam- I think it would be interesting even for the judges- perhaps because the industry is shrouded in secrecy, it seems the thing to do, but we are learning. It would be beneficial to see the process even if it is wrong- and judges aren’t perfumers per say, and if they are I am sure they will be amused. More of the question is , do we want to share on that level. It’s a commitment. I am down for it.

Last edited:

mnitabach

Nov 13, 2020
I'm not sure there needs to be a "rule" establishing whether entrants need to document their process nor whether judges must look at/not look at such documentation, either before or after testing the entries. Can't these matters be at the discretion of each judge/entrant?

AdamE

Jul 15, 2019
I'm excited to get moving on this. Im perfectly ok with making it as open as possible by saying "make a Fougere" Submit a brief for the judges to get an idea where you're at with it and let it rip. If you want to make a thread documenting your progress, Im all for it and will be excited to read it, but not required to participate.

looking for 3-5 judges maybe, if anyone would like to volunteer for that? And then we need to establish a submission deadline that works for most people

xii

Jun 9, 2015
I’d like to take part.

A bit upset about the missing feedback from judges that seems to be a recurring issue unfortunately. It’s a burden though and I understand it isn’t easy to review perfumes we don’t really connect with.

The more gratitude towards benjiw02, fragrantregard and Bavard who, I guess we all agree, did a magnificent job in the last game. I’d definitely like to read more reviews from them.

Marlaney

May 26, 2020
I know I’m not as experienced as judges in the past, but if you are having trouble finding enough judges, I would love to volunteer as a judge!
I’m so busy with fragrance projects right now, and won’t have as much time as I would like to create a new scent this time around.

Jolieo

Feb 18, 2018
Marlaney -just saw this ! Of course its perfect if you judge!
habibi- yes me too! I’m excited!

On that note, does anyone know where we at with the last game? I read a review today- sounds phenomenal!
i wouldn’t want to take the focus off that game - especially since it really is a rolling ball!!

how does February 1st sound for entries? And firming up who is judging, entering till December? I am just spit balling- holidays are smack in the middle- and besides delaying mail- can also stop progress on formulation-

Marlaney

May 26, 2020
Hello all! I am sure everyone was very busy over the holidays, but I hope they were all pleasant and memorable. ☺️

Just wanted to check on the progress of this game. Do we need to push the deadline back a bit?

Jolieo

Feb 18, 2018
Yes for me - I was insanely busy- then got sick with the flu -for 2 weeks, which made me play catch up- who is still in?

Jolieo

Feb 18, 2018
You decid- I haven’t even started really yet although I have ideas- Mike has sooo many fougeres - , so everyone tell us how long you need
also how many are in- because it makes a difference how much to make

xii

Jun 9, 2015
I haven’t done anything yet but count me in.

I got very lazy so a deadline would do me good. A soft deadline, samples dispatched, by the end of March, and hard deadline, items delivered, by the end of April?

mnitabach

Nov 13, 2020
I haven’t done anything yet but count me in.

I got very lazy so a deadline would do me good. A soft deadline, samples dispatched, by the end of March, and hard deadline, items delivered, by the end of April?

Sounds good to me! We are to send small (2 ml?) samples diluted in EtOH to final intended concentration for wearing on skin? And we are not abiding by any IFRA or other regulatory requirements (just disclosing what's in there)?

mnitabach

Nov 13, 2020
I just started a totally new fougère from scratch! I'm trying to make it completely from synthetic or purified single aromachemicals, no complete or fractionated complex extracts or pre-made accords at all.

mnitabach

Nov 13, 2020
Is it similar to clarycet? If you know.
Since i’m lacking in the “green” category, only thing I have that contains sclareolate is “sarriette base” (which is the major constituent) so I have no idea what aspect of the base it is lol

Sclareolate smells like a combo of linalool & linalyl acetate & is citrus, herbal, floral. So it subs in a fougère perfectly for the classic combo of bergamot & lavender. Jazz it up w some terpenes & smthg camphoraceous & yr good to go. Dunno anything about clarycet...

ETA: I think DHM + sclareolate + coranol (to extend into heart) would be a great foundation for synthetic fougère top.

Casper_grassy

May 5, 2020
Sclareolate smells like a combo of linalool & linalyl acetate & is citrus, herbal, floral. So it subs in a fougère perfectly for the classic combo of bergamot & lavender. Jazz it up w some terpenes & smthg camphoraceous & yr good to go. Dunno anything about clarycet...

ETA: I think DHM + sclareolate + coranol (to extend into heart) would be a great foundation for synthetic fougère top.
It sounds like all you need is moss coumarin and geranium on top of that and you’re set.
I’ll think about buying, don’t know if it fits any of my current needs, but then again, I NEED everything

Latest News