A new Dior Homme fragrance is on its way, apparently

crashtestbrummie

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 14, 2016
A little titbit of Dior gossip...and I'm hoping that this hasn't been posted anywhere already.

Whilst hunting down any remaining bottles of Dior Homme Parfum locally yesterday*, I spoke with the SAs at three separate Dior locations who all told me that a new Dior Homme fragrance is coming in June. They had had their training on it during the week, had seen the new advert for it, and two of the SAs seemed to think it would be a new version of Dior Homme itself (one of them actually said that "they are changing the formula"). The third SA said that she thought it would be a replacement for one of the line but wasn't sure which one when I pressed her.

(As an aside, the SA in the third location also said that she thinks that Fahrenheit might be discontinued soon.- apparently it just doesn't sell enough in comparison with the Homme and Sauvage lines. This was pure speculation on her part, before anyone breaks out the pitchforks and torches to burn the messenger...)

*I found one bottle to add to my other back ups.

D

Deleted member 13385235

Interesting. Wonder what they could be whipping up in terms of a flanker as every variation on the theme is pretty much covered already. Seeing as Parfum didn't get the attention they hoped I doubt it will be another heavy hitter but I hope it is.

As for the Fahrenheit discontinuation rumor:

giphy.gif

crashtestbrummie

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 14, 2016
Interesting. Wonder what they could be whipping up in terms of a flanker as every variation on the theme is pretty much covered already. Seeing as Parfum didn't get the attention they hoped I doubt it will be another heavy hitter but I hope it is.

As for the Fahrenheit discontinuation rumor:

giphy.gif

Well I mentioned before when DHP was starting to vanish from sight that one Dior manager had said that she wouldn't be surprised if it came back in a new version. But the two SAs who mentioned this new fragrance both seemed certain that it would be a replacement for the main pillar itself. Could be wrong, of course, but they had both been on the training the day before...

D

Deleted member 13385235

Dior Homme Absolu —*guaranteed.

Iris, incense and leather eh?

Well I mentioned before when DHP was starting to vanish from sight that one Dior manager had said that she wouldn't be surprised if it came back in a new version. But the two SAs who mentioned this new fragrance both seemed certain that it would be a replacement for the main pillar itself. Could be wrong, of course, but they had both been on the training the day before...

Appreciate the info bud, stranger things have happened so lets see what kicks. I liked DHP from first sniff, a quality composition from end to end.

Nastka

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 6, 2011

Cheers for the gossip, mate.

To be completely honest, the Dior SAs I've dealt with wouldn't be able tell their arse from their elbow, so I'm taking this with a grain of salt.

As for Fahrenheit being discontinued - I can't see that happen, but what I can see is a more limited distribution. Shelf space is expensive, after all.

cameron

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 17, 2011
Don’t believe discontinue talk from the sales reps. They just say that to make you think it’s the scarce commodity so you buy the current product.

crashtestbrummie

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 14, 2016
Don’t believe discontinue talk from the sales reps. They just say that to make you think it’s the scarce commodity so you buy the current product.

Nah, she said it almost as an aside, apropos of nothing, as we were standing by the perfumes. We had only discussed the Homme line and also J'adore l'Or.

Jazsi

Mar 8, 2018
To be completely honest, the Dior SAs I've dealt with wouldn't be able tell their arse from their elbow, so I'm taking this with a grain of salt.

Very accurate. Went into Harrods the other day looking for DHP, and the girl didn't know what it was, and kept assuring me that I must have meant DHI.

In fact, most SA's I've come across are clueless. Walked past the Killian section recently to try Black Phantom again, and the SA kept pushing me to try Back to Black, I was like ah cool what are the notes in this one - "Uggghhhhh, woods". Thanks.

MFfan310

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 19, 2004
A store here just got Dior back after a hiatus. Sauvage was there, but so was original Dior Homme and Fahrenheit. And Fahrenheit is as easy to find as Sauvage here.

I highly doubt the rumors of discontinuation of Fahrenheit. It has a very loyal following. New flanker for Dior Homme? Probably, because Dior loves them. All new Dior Homme? Not if a store just got the current one in for the first time ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dougczar

Basenotes Institution
Mar 3, 2012
Dior Homme Eau for Men, and Dior Homme Sport 2017, while not bad at all, started going down the overdone aromachemical path - they lost a lot of what made their predecessors so good - a naturalness to them that Dior was so good at... Then Sauvage was pure chemical mess.

My previously unwavering trust in this house is no more. I am expecting very little, but holding out hope that they learn how to work with the new chemicals a little more.

Might as well call it Dior Homme Eau for Men for Him. Why stop at just a little redundancy...

Shaheen

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 15, 2008
I hope whatever it is, it brings something new to the table and is competently formulated. A reformulation of the original though... meh, wouldn't be interested.

Melbourne21

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 7, 2015
Australian Dior Boutique confirmed the same-

Although i don't know weather they are referring to a newnflanker of it, or an entirely different/new fragrance altogether?

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Omg, if they discontinue Fahrenheit there's going to be a field day. I'm gonna hoard the heck out of it then.

Actually, I might just go buy another bottle or so just in case. Can't ever be without Fahrenheit! No no no no.

A new Dior Homme frag might be cool, just please don't be another 'Sport' flanker.

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
I find it hard to believe Fahrenheit would get discontinued. So far it's only one's speculation, nothing concrete.

I can’t see it either. Stone cold classic, but my wife said a while ago that Fahrenheit and Issey Miyake PH are 2 scents she can’t stand.

Me too. This is just total fantasy for some SAs.

DEdestroyer77

Basenotes Junkie
Feb 25, 2017
I don't own a single Dior fragrance. Why? I'm not sure really.

The Dior house seems strange to me, the countless reformulations, flankers, discontinuations, re releases and limited distributions just seem aggrivating and actually really put me off the house. I don't know if its just my perception of the house or what. There are actually a few Privee I would like to try but I just won't because they are Dior.

Am I wrong to think like this about Dior?

crashtestbrummie

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 14, 2016
Me too. This is just total fantasy for some SAs.

I can't see it happening myself either, but I'm guessing that she had some knowledge of how much Fahrenheit they shifted in that particular concession (in Harvey Nichols in Birmingham) that could possibly have led to that speculation.

crashtestbrummie

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 14, 2016

The Dior house seems strange to me, the countless reformulations, flankers, discontinuations, re releases and limited distributions just seem aggrivating and actually really put me off the house. I don't know if its just my perception of the house or what. There are actually a few Privee I would like to try but I just won't because they are Dior.

Dior are one of the few houses who are pretty open about reformulations and generally do them well - the latest version of Fahrenheit has been discussed very recently on here in a positive manner, for example. And you can tell when they've reformulated a perfume because the formula code on the box changes (not the batch code, which just tells you when it was made). They seem to use better quality materials as a rule than other designers in the same price point (for the non-privee stuff). If I had to choose three perfume houses to stick to exclusively for the rest of my days then Dior would be there along with Guerlain and Lush. YMMV of course but you might find you've been missing some real treasures by not giving them a crack of the whip.

ultravisitor

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 4, 2014

Yes. I don't really see how they're much different than a lot of houses. I don't really care about the reformulation talk--reformulated or not, their perfumes are still excellent. And if you try something now and like it, why should it matter if someone says a previous formulation was "better"? If you like it now, that's all that matters. Dior is my favorite house. They've got great fragrances at both designer and exclusive tiers, and they're not as ridiculously overpriced as many other houses. It's your choice, but you're possibly cutting yourself off from some really beautiful fragrances with your thinking. That's no one's loss but yours.

Nastka

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 6, 2011
Yes. I don't really see how they're much different than a lot of houses. I don't really care about the reformulation talk--reformulated or not, their perfumes are still excellent. And if you try something now and like it, why should it matter if someone says a previous formulation was "better"? If you like it now, that's all that matters. Dior is my favorite house. They've got great fragrances at both designer and exclusive tiers, and they're not as ridiculously overpriced as many other houses. It's your choice, but you're possibly cutting yourself off from some really beautiful fragrances with your thinking. That's no one's loss but yours.

Pretty much agree with what you said. Dior is he one house that keeps pumping out very high quality fragrances for both genders, and both mainstream and 'Prive' line. I welcome the transparency they offer in regards to their reformulations (batch & formula codes), and have never had a reformulation which was plain 'bad'. Different, maybe, bad, no.

DanHD

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 15, 2013
...Dior is he one house that keeps pumping out very high quality fragrances for both genders, and both mainstream and 'Prive' line....

I agree with the above. I realized a bit ago that I own more Dior than any other brand. Hopefully the new one won't be along the lines of Sauvage which I don't like (EDT and EDP) and my wife despises.

jabar

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 24, 2011
I would think differently on this: while Dior do change up formulas on their popular male releases, at least they are open about it. And there's enough time to stock up on old Dior Homme X before the changing of the guard.

Exclusive series are the new game. Everyone is doing it, and some to a much more aggravating degree than Dior. At least Dior has an active and evolving standard line unlike, say, YSL, which is endless L'Homme flankers.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...