A Monday Sync dedicated to Gourmand, Oriental, and Sweet fragrances - Everyone’s Invited

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
If you enjoy fragrances that are gourmands, orientals, or sweet fragrances then this sync is for you! This thread is dedicated to anyone who has a passion or simply enjoy these kind of fragrances.

Here are some examples of notes, that are not limited to the following:
  • Chocolate
  • Caramel
  • Toffee
  • Praline
  • Coffee
  • Honey
  • Cinnamon
  • Vanilla
  • Tonka bean
  • Benzoin
  • Cacao
  • Amber
  • Tobacco
  • Spice
  • Coconut

For each Monday post a fragrance that has either a gourmand, oriental, or sweet fragrance feel. Please note any choice is subjective to the individual’s personal preference and taste - there’s no right or wrong choice. I look forward to seeing what choices you select each Monday.

Helpful Fragrantica Link to Notes: https://www.fragrantica.com/notes/

Other Sync’s

Andy the Frenchy’s Wednesday Vetiver Sync
- https://basenotes.com/threads/vetiver-wednesdays-sync-an-invitation-to-a-magical-journey.520869/

ClockworkAlice’s Sync Friday - https://basenotes.com/threads/synchronized-fridays-2022.520491/

SmokeandSky’s Weekend Sync - https://basenotes.com/threads/weekend-perfume-sync-june-through-june.488860/

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I will begin with a pre-sync pick. My first choice will be Tom Ford Amber Absolute. It's a resinous on amber scent. It has the amber note accompanied small whiffs of vanilla, one of my favorite choices for the genre.
375x500.1821.jpg

naylor

Oct 24, 2011
I will begin with a pre-sync pick. My first choice will be Tom Ford Amber Absolute. It's a resinous on amber scent. It has the amber note accompanied small whiffs of vanilla, one of my favorite choices for the genre.
375x500.1821.jpg
I'm pre-syncing as well. Last night was Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille, and tonight is Ensar Oud EO Amber. Looking forward to what everyone is wearing this Monday (y)

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I'm pre-syncing as well. Last night was Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille, and tonight is Ensar Oud EO Amber. Looking forward to what everyone is wearing this Monday (y)
I wanted to wear SDV but I've been throwing it on quite a bit recently because of all of the holiday festivity. I developed a sweet tooth the last several weeks because of all the sweet scents and now I have a stomach ache.

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
I'm taking this week off with gourmands, I have a stomach ache from it.

I'm syncing with Rogue Perfumery Derviche - a sweet oriental scent that includes vanilla, tobacco, animalic notes, jasmine, and wood notes.

375x500.53819.jpg
I‘m going to join you with this on Monday. Let’s call it an inaugural sync sync.
I wore this last Friday after not having worn it in a long time and it was so nice and lasted for hours. I’ll take this as a sign I should do it again!

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I‘m going to join you with this on Monday. Let’s call it an inaugural sync sync.
I wore this last Friday after not having worn it in a long time and it was so nice and lasted for hours. I’ll take this as a sign I should do it again!
I'm trying to wear a variety of scents to give examples to everyone of what s/he could wear for the sync.

The wide latitude of possibilities should make it very easy for most individuals to participate.

Ga.Peach

Jul 14, 2021
Now that it has cooled off here(it was 80 degrees New Years Day) to mid 40s,I can finally wear some sweeter scents.

This afternoon I went with a playful dousing of *Ultrared Man* by Paco Rabanne. Love the Blood Orange/Praline opening; all 37 seconds of it! May have hit olfactory overload that quickly(?)

Stay classy,Basenoters!

PS:For the Derviche fans;how do you feel about Derviche II ?
I love them both but favor Derviche II for its smoothness.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Back from work, I am sampling.
Now I'm trying two different gourmands: Milkshake by Ganache Parfums and A Sweet Pastry In Paris by Zara (created by Nathalie Lorson herself!).
Both smell a lot like the things they're named for, but lactonic sweetness of Milkshake behaves badly on my skin and it's one of those instances where a scent smells better from a bottle/on paper than on my skin. In the decant, it smells sweet and delicious and quite complex, on me unfortunately this milk goes sour. I guess I am spoiling some things just by touching them.

A Sweet Pastry In Paris, on the other hand, is DIVINE. It smells a lot like lemon madeleines and I want to bite off and chew my hand, partly because it smells so delicious and partly because the fragrance is already discontinued and hard to find and I'm furious. Had I found it two years ago, I could have bought a truckload of it for cheap! And now I'll have to buy bags of real madeleines instead to sniff them, and of course I'll eat them all each time and get fatter. This is not fair.
Of course, this fragrance will depend on your nose, as some people on internet claim it smells very synthetic to them, but not to me. To me it smells like the real thing.
You guys might find it funny that I prefer Zara fragrance to a niche fragrance, but it is as it is. The more time goes, the more interesting attempts from Zara become to my nose, and of course, Nathalie Lorson knows how to make a good gourmand that will appeal to me. :)

Both fragrances are not in directory yet, so I'll have to add them later.

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
I'm going with purely sweet, at the far border of this sync's definition!

YSL L'Homme - a sweet fougere that I've been fond of since I bought it for YSL's memorial sync in 2008.

Updating my review...

Yves' parting menace
The Honey Mellifleugère
Don't care what we think

So when Kouros called
And wanted his mindshare back
HoMe laughed sweetly.

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
At first, I thought my wardrobe would not offer any options for this sync but I found one…

Tauer’s Sotto La Luna Gardenia

This is a unique interpretation of gardenia, one that, given my usual preferences, I shouldn’t like at all, but somehow I do. A haunting gardenia with gourmand notes.

This is why syncs are so good: one is inspired to search through the cabinet for perfumes you have been neglecting.

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
In Rogue Derviche again today.
PS:For the Derviche fans;how do you feel about Derviche II ?
I love them both but favor Derviche II for its smoothness.
I have not tried Derviche ll, but very much enjoy the original. I like that it changes so much based on temp and humidity. On this cold rainy day I’m getting quite a hit of tobacco, musk and vanilla. Not super sweet. Like someone chewed some fruity tobacco and then breathed on me. Sounds kind of gross but actually it is enticing.

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
Back from work, I am sampling.
Now I'm trying two different gourmands: Milkshake by Ganache Parfums and A Sweet Pastry In Paris by Zara (created by Nathalie Lorson herself!).
Both smell a lot like the things they're named for, but lactonic sweetness of Milkshake behaves badly on my skin and it's one of those instances where a scent smells better from a bottle/on paper than on my skin. In the decant, it smells sweet and delicious and quite complex, on me unfortunately this milk goes sour. I guess I am spoiling some things just by touching them.

A Sweet Pastry In Paris, on the other hand, is DIVINE. It smells a lot like lemon madeleines and I want to bite off and chew my hand, partly because it smells so delicious and partly because the fragrance is already discontinued and hard to find and I'm furious. Had I found it two years ago, I could have bought a truckload of it for cheap! And now I'll have to buy bags of real madeleines instead to sniff them, and of course I'll eat them all each time and get fatter. This is not fair.
Of course, this fragrance will depend on your nose, as some people on internet claim it smells very synthetic to them, but not to me. To me it smells like the real thing.
You guys might find it funny that I prefer Zara fragrance to a niche fragrance, but it is as it is. The more time goes, the more interesting attempts from Zara become to my nose, and of course, Nathalie Lorson knows how to make a good gourmand that will appeal to me. :)

Both fragrances are not in directory yet, so I'll have to add them later.

Ooh la la! I think I need dessert…

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
At first, I thought my wardrobe would not offer any options for this sync but I found one…

Tauer’s Sotto La Luna Gardenia

This is a unique interpretation of gardenia, one that, given my usual preferences, I shouldn’t like at all, but somehow I do. A haunting gardenia with gourmand notes.

This is why syncs are so good: one is inspired to search through the cabinet for perfumes you have been neglecting.
Spicy, green, AND powdery gardenia notes - a triple threat, with a finish you describe as “rice pudding”. Sounds amazing! More over the moon than under.
Are you able to discern the varying qualities of the gardenia so named in the notes?

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
Are you able to discern the varying qualities of the gardenia so named in the notes?

Well, I think so. I’ve been smelling many gardenia perfumes over the years and I have come to feel that gardenia is one of the most controversial notes, open to many different interpretations. Some perfumes present gardenia as a classic, almost generic white floral note. I feel this is the case with Van Cleef & Arpels Gardenia Petale or Goutal’s Gardenia Passion, which I find pretty but a little boring I tend to prefer gardenias with lactonic nuances as in Fracas over those with sharper aldehydic or vegetal profiles. I think Rogue’s Champ Lunaires is a great gardenia but it is supposed to be tuberose! Dame Perfumery’s Soliflore Gardenia is a beautifully balanced gardenia, IMHO.. I see Kotori agrees with me while it gives ClaireV the dry heaves. See what I mean? Even a Soliflore Gardenia can be controversial.

I admire how Tauer tried to capture his own complex interpretation of gardenia in Sotto La Luna Gardenia. It definitely is a gourmand gardenia and to many, it did not suggest gardenia at all . Tauer discusses his idea of gardenia, and analyzes floral notes in general, in this excellent Persolaise interview…

N.B. Kafkaesque needed 2500 words to explain how much she hated Sotto La Luna Gardenia. Again, gardenias…CONTROVERSIAL.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Are you ready for Alice's mad tea party with too many gourmandises? I am.

Today I am testing a bunch of fragrances, so I am all covered in many different smells - and I made it a point to choose as many gourmands or sweet smelling fragrances as possible! Some I absolutely fell in love with, some I scrubbed after a while to leave some space for a new one (I know, it's madness).

Currently I'm wearing Alien Goddess by Mugler (a vanillic tropical floral; sweet vanilla and jasmine that smells a bit like frangipani to me; very nice! but also quite similar to many others of this kind) and No.2 : Vanille Verte de Sava & Osmanthus de Sichuan by Lostmarch (Starts out as a very resinous, slightly spicy and dark-ish vanilla, later morphs into a fruity one. Beautiful, rich, mesmerizing.)

Earlier I wore:
Pour un Homme by Caron (I really like it when it dries down more to a truly lovely aromatic vanilla. A very nice lavender-vanilla scent - if you like this type of very medicinal and slightly stinky lavender that's here. That's not the kind I like)

Portraits : Changing Constance by Penhaligon's (Glorious slightly salted buttery caramel, tobacco, slight spices, a bit of cashmeran - it's just the perfect grown-up gourmand. And it's incredibly expensive, too - sadly, but just no, I can't and I won't, even I have limits - especially when it's not as long lasting as it could be)

Olympea Legend by Paco Rabanne (This is not a new sample to me - I put it on sometimes when I want to smell like Snickers, as it's another salty, boozy caramel with some flowers and plum. Now I digged it out because I wanted to compare it to Changing Constance as a salted caramel smell. Well, it's definitely not as nuanced and rich and gorgeous; but it's a lovely gourmand on its own - I'm still not sure if I should upgrade my sample to a small bottle or if that will be enough)

Coco Extreme by Comptoir Sud Pacifique (A very, very sweet, slightly milky coconut. Great scent for coconut lovers - a bit too overwhelming for me. Scrubbed it off)

Hiroshima Mon Amour by Nez à Nez (I was a bit afraid to try it because of honey/beeswax note, but no! It's a gorgeous, gorgeous spicy-sweet cinnamon scent! Lots of cinnamon, and it's also balmy. Lovely)

Um, yeah.

The night is young, I might still put something else on, who knows. 🍭

Edit as the night got older:
Voce Viva by Valentino (A bit of a sweet synth mess up close, but a lovely sweet scent from a distance. I do not get any of the marketed notes, mostly some sweetened cashmeran or something maybe?)

Last edited:

Latest News