A message from Arcadi Boix Camps and new book

leonardpayne

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 23, 2017
See this latest from Arcadi in Odessa Ukraine regarding the books

I currently have TWO copies of the "Perfumery: Techniques in Evolution" available (More coming)

and TWO copies of the short "Monographs and Musings" - Unpublished in book form anywhere else

Contents of this book
Gardenia in Perfumery
Technical and Philosophical Notes on the Perfumery Creative Process
Magnolia and Lily of the Valley
Paradisone
Saffron in Perfumery and Flavors

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017
Last edited:

leonardpayne

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 23, 2017
Sure --- if you want a freebie then you can download the pdf's. Just don't try selling them

But these are hardbound and have Arcadi's blessings - So if you want the final copy of Perfumery Techniques in evolution
then give me a shout. The second book Monographs and Musings is now sold out. Will let you know when available.

Nov 22, 2017
Sure --- if you want a freebie then you can download the pdf's. Just don't try selling them

In a spirit of gratitude for all the humor in this absurd world heres "freebies" of chapter five of Arcadis book, whose content is available in its entirety for free on Perfumer and Flavorist website.

Happy Indigenous Peoples' Day!

View attachment BOIX CAMPS Evolution 5-1.pdf

View attachment BOIX CAMPS Evolution 5-2.pdf

View attachment BOIX CAMPS Evolution 5-3.pdf

Last edited:

leonardpayne

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 23, 2017
I'm sure folks will be mire than happy to download these A4 sized sheets and then get them bound. Certainly cheaper than keeping this old man in Chardonnay

BTW - are you really a tightass or will you be paying for a subscription to thus wonderful site

Alysoun

Feb 4, 2011
In a spirit of gratitude for all the humor in this absurd world heres "freebies" of chapter five of Arcadis book, whose content is available in its entirety for free on Perfumer and Flavorist website.

Happy Indigenous Peoples' Day!

View attachment 74402

View attachment 74403

View attachment 74404

I read some of the first linked article. ABC claims that the poem "Ithaca" is not original to Cavafy but is Cavafy's (French!) translation of an old manuscript. He gives no source for the claim, unless he does so in one of the missing pages. Was this revealed to ABC in a dream? Did he fall for someone's joke? I have read the poem in Greek; in style and content it is consistent with Cavafy's other work (which was also written in Greek, not in English as I think ABC implies ["although Greek, English was his language"]). I think "Ithaca" is by Cavafy, and not by an unknown ancient.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017
BTW - are you really a tightass or will you be paying for a subscription to thus wonderful site

What nice holiday wishes from you!

P&F offers free membership, so maybe your beef over paying for free things is with them?

Here's the Magnolia / Paradisone chapter from the free articles I was ablee to reduce, which everyone should definitely NOT use to print a book and sell it on eBay.

BOIX CAMPS Magnolia Lily of the Valley-1.jpg

View attachment BOIX CAMPS Magnolia Lily of the Valley-2.pdf

Nov 22, 2017
Farther into the spirit of giving back during these treacherous times, heres chapter 3 for anyone who has been having trouble finding it on the Prfumer and Flavorist wesbite (I still cannot post links how annoying!)

(sorry for jpgs)

BOIX-CAMPS-Evolution-3-1.jpg
BOIX-CAMPS-Evolution-3-2.jpg
BOIX-CAMPS-Evolution-3-3.jpg
BOIX-CAMPS-Evolution-3-4.jpg
BOIX-CAMPS-Evolution-3-5.jpg
BOIX-CAMPS-Evolution-3-6.jpg
BOIX-CAMPS-Evolution-3-7.jpg

Nov 22, 2017
I read some of the first linked article. ABC claims that the poem "Ithaca" is not original to Cavafy but is Cavafy's (French!) translation of an old manuscript. He gives no source for the claim, unless he does so in one of the missing pages. Was this revealed to ABC in a dream? Did he fall for someone's joke? I have read the poem in Greek; in style and content it is consistent with Cavafy's other work (which was also written in Greek, not in English as I think ABC implies ["although Greek, English was his language"]). I think "Ithaca" is by Cavafy, and not by an unknown ancient.

I cannot say as classics is not my strong point. But ABC definitely writes and thinks .... effusively and unrestrainedly.

Alysoun

Feb 4, 2011
I cannot say as classics is not my strong point. But ABC definitely writes and thinks .... effusively and unrestrainedly.

Yes. I had a look at his website once. Never again. Fine; tastes differ.

But Cavafy is an early twentieth-century writer. I began to learn Greek so as to enjoy him. I'm by no means a classics scholar either.

Nov 22, 2017
Indeed.

I agree with you and find ABC's writing to be torturous and circular, and he tends to leave a lot hanging. There seems to be a lot of artistic aura being created, which one could also see in the video posted above. Whatevr, the Perfumer and Flavorist articles still give some good descriptions of ACs which canbe valuable to making decisions when blending ot buying.

marimbeta

Dec 10, 2020
All the info I gathered in a single pdf (I also have made some small rotation in some pages nas it is 80% a A4 size, so one can print and put a decent cover by oneself):

https://www115.zippyshare.com/v/OP35RvKJ/file.html

I've made 3 mains sections:

1) Perfumery: Evolution of ItsTechniques (Parts I to V)
2) Fragrance Creation
3) Topics in Perfumery

All material is free, from the Perfumer & Flavorist .pdf files, already avaliable on Internet.

Best regards,

PS: I just found out about this topic after I made the single pdf file.

Jun 29, 2015
All the info I gathered in a single pdf (I also have made some small rotation in some pages nas it is 80% a A4 size, so one can print and put a decent cover by oneself):

Thanks for sharing that link! I'm a bit confused though—is the entire contents of Arcadi's Perfumery—Techniques in Evolution (2nd Edition) present in that PDF? Or is there only a partial overlap? Wondering because I've been eyeing the book, and it's hard to grok from the discussion above whether or not that 2nd edition book is *just* these articles, or that there is just overlap /confused. Does the physical book add anything here?

Also, that zippyshare link is rife with NSFW advertising and tons of spam—I had to actually view the HTML page source to actually get the download link (the orange "DOWNLOAD" button would only just send me to some scam website); here's the direct download link if others want to save the hassle as well:
https://www115.zippyshare.com/d/OP35RvKJ/50435/Perfumery%20-%20Evolution%20of%20Its%20Techniques%20-%20final.pdf

marimbeta

Dec 10, 2020
Thanks for sharing that link! I'm a bit confused though—is the entire contents of Arcadi's Perfumery—Techniques in Evolution (2nd Edition) present in that PDF? Or is there only a partial overlap? Wondering because I've been eyeing the book, and it's hard to grok from the discussion above whether or not that 2nd edition book is *just* these articles, or that there is just overlap /confused. Does the physical book add anything here?

Also, that zippyshare link is rife with NSFW advertising and tons of spam—I had to actually view the HTML page source to actually get the download link (the orange "DOWNLOAD" button would only just send me to some scam website); here's the direct download link if others want to save the hassle as well:
https://www115.zippyshare.com/d/OP35RvKJ/50435/Perfumery%20-%20Evolution%20of%20Its%20Techniques%20-%20final.pdf

I've got all the materials and compared them to the "entire book" summary. It's all in there! Zipyshare link is offline, though. I'll try to upload in another server. Just to make it clear: all the materials are already avaliable online for free, I just put them together from the different sources (magazines etc).

Agonhoun

Feb 20, 2021
please please please explain someone about Arcadia? ... I read his Facebook, I became interested in his materials. Does he sell it? I havent found it anywhere. Why does he have such a so terrible site? I m so sorry, just want to know more about him

Bill Roberts

Mar 1, 2013
He is clearly a very knowledgeable Perfumer who has had (and I suppose still does) access to quite a lot of materials and is an interesting writer and thinker, with some not liking either the writing or thinking and others liking both. And maybe even some liking one but not the other. My understanding is over the years he has manufactured a number of materials for wholesale purchase, with minimum orders such as $6000, as well as has formulated complete perfumes.

He has at least from some claims had business issues which I think are outside the scope of the forum and outside the actual knowledge of anyone here. (We have had some absurdity of non-actual non-knowledge so it's possible there will be some vigorous assertions on the business point but let's hope not, and none will be replied to.) I mention it only as it could be related to product availability at least at times. However, those who actually buy from him would be the only ones who could genuinely say if there have been availability issues. To my knowledge only one forum member has.

I can't think of where he was clearly quite enthusiastic about a material that is an available one and I bought it for that reason that I felt it was a mistaken purchase. A number of his pieces of advice or information have helped me.

One can actually read quite a great deal of his nearly unobtainable book via Google Books.

When there is an authentic reprint at reasonable price, I will buy it. Presently, to my understanding used copies are insanely priced.

As his philosophical thought for today perhaps, just last week I read him saying "One can predict here the weakening resolve of Athens in the Peloponnesian War, the decline of Greece, the failure of the real meaning of the word demos in democracy, so artificially used by those governing the world." And I thought, Well, I certainly know the shallow meaning we are always taught, but I do not know what he may be talking about and why one might say the term is artificially used today. I found it a quite interesting study and an insightful thing for him to say and which I had never heard before. Outside the scope of the forum, but an illustration of whether one may like his writing and thinking or dislike it, and perhaps related also to differences between those finding some affinity and those who show none.

Agonhoun

Feb 20, 2021
He is clearly a very knowledgeable Perfumer who has had (and I suppose still does) access to quite a lot of materials and is an interesting writer and thinker, with some not liking either the writing or thinking and others liking both. And maybe even some liking one but not the other. My understanding is over the years he has manufactured a number of materials for wholesale purchase, with minimum orders such as $6000, as well as has formulated complete perfumes.

He has at least from some claims had business issues which I think are outside the scope of the forum and outside the actual knowledge of anyone here. (We have had some absurdity of non-actual non-knowledge so it's possible there will be some vigorous assertions on the business point but let's hope not, and none will be replied to.) I mention it only as it could be related to product availability at least at times. However, those who actually buy from him would be the only ones who could genuinely say if there have been availability issues. To my knowledge only one forum member has.

I can't think of where he was clearly quite enthusiastic about a material that is an available one and I bought it for that reason that I felt it was a mistaken purchase. A number of his pieces of advice or information have helped me.

One can actually read quite a great deal of his nearly unobtainable book via Google Books.

When there is an authentic reprint at reasonable price, I will buy it. Presently, to my understanding used copies are insanely priced.

As his philosophical thought for today perhaps, just last week I read him saying "One can predict here the weakening resolve of Athens in the Peloponnesian War, the decline of Greece, the failure of the real meaning of the word demos in democracy, so artificially used by those governing the world." And I thought, Well, I certainly know the shallow meaning we are always taught, but I do not know what he may be talking about and why one might say the term is artificially used today. I found it a quite interesting study and an insightful thing for him to say and which I had never heard before. Outside the scope of the forum, but an illustration of whether one may like his writing and thinking or dislike it, and perhaps related also to differences between those finding some affinity and those who show none.

I like how he writes ( i read his FB), i commented there, i write letters to know more about his work and even wanted to buy something from his materials. He desribed it so well..But i didnt receive nothing back and see only strange bad-done website... I am agree with you, that he is interesting and "old-hand"person.. Hope he is ok

Najengi

May 31, 2021
Thankyou Bill for this helpful explanation, and thankyou Agonhoun for asking this question about Arcardi too...

I am fairly new to perfumery and this forum, so still doing lots of drilling down into information about materials and how to use them, and of course I have noticed Arcadi, along with Arctander, quoted a great deal as authorities on the subject of perfumery materials.

I have Arctanders book (I actually managed to get my local Public Library Service to buy a copy of the 2019 reprint which I now loan from them and use for free), but I’ve been hesitating to buy Arcadi’s book based on comments I’ve read on past threads in the forum archives here. But Bill’s comment here, plus the articles I have read by Arcadi in Perfumery & Flavours, has made me decide to go ahead and buy Perfumery: Techniques in Evolution (2009 edition) from a reputable second-hand bookshop in the UK. Given I didn’t have to pay for Arctander’s book, I decided to pay £39 / $50 for this second-hand copy. The bookshop has a good returns policy, so if for any reason I am disappointed or I don’t think it’s authentic I can always return it.

Bill, if you are still after a copy of Arcadi’s book, I also saw another second-hand copy listed on the Amazon Marketplace at a similar price available in the US, so it may be worth checking if it’s still listed.

Anyway, thankyou again for sharing your thoughts and Happy Perfuming to all.

Najengi

May 31, 2021
Blimey! It looks like I may have got a good deal. It’s hardcover too.

Mmm…the US listing does seem to have disappeared at the same time I clicked the UK buy option. The rare book dealers (Paper Cavalier) I bought my copy from do have offices in the UK, US & Berlin and I do have a 20 day delivery wait (rather than the usual 3-5 days for domestic delivery), so I’m wondering if they advertised the same copy on Amazon Marketplace to both the UK and the US market.

It is possible to go direct to their site and fill in a book search request form so they can email you when they’ve located another copy and it becomes available, but I have no idea if there is an extra cost involved for such a service. And, until I’ve received my copy and I am satisfied that it is authentic and as described in the selling info I’m by no means recommending them at this point in time.

Latest News