A Lounge for us "Under Sprayers"

Status
Not open for further replies.

H_West

Oct 14, 2015
I got a bit carried away and used two whole sprays of Wonderwood to the chest.

200.gif

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
A fun lounge!
It's true, you can feel the scent better and your nose picks it up for longer when you spray less.
Spraying a lot and getting a personal scent bubble can be fun, especially when home alone, but you can overload your nose too quickly like this. I also noticed just one spray or two can actually be more effective sometimes.

Although I actually feel like I don't really belong neither here nor at the Oversprayers club. As a mostly 4-6 sprays gal I probably need a club for "regular sprayers" :D

NettyYeti

Jan 28, 2016
What’s everyone’s go-to “style” of fragrance when looking for something understated?

I like lighter tobacco fragrances in the style of Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme or Herrera for Men.

I’m also a sucker for fresh fougères a la Eternity or Burberry for Men.

Finally, I find a few modern fragrances others might call “generic” quite good for light wear. The best example of this is probably Dior Homme 2020, but Mr. Burberry (edt) is another one.

Brian5701

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 28, 2009
What’s everyone’s go-to “style” of fragrance when looking for something understated?

Finally, I find a few modern fragrances others might call “generic” quite good for light wear. The best example of this is probably Dior Homme 2020, but Mr. Burberry is another one.

A few recent cheapie fresh-ish purchases. They are all completely inoffensive, fresh and pretty light:
Gucci Made to Measure
Givenchy Gentleman Only Casual Chic
Zegna Uomo

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
Went with half a spray of Slowdive on each arm. Spicy cinnamon and tobacco honey all day baby!

I might even do an extra spray under the shirt since I’m feeling real frisky and heading to the art museum in alittle bit. Spicy honey and Monet? YES PLEASE

Diamond Joe

Feb 5, 2019
A fun lounge!
It's true, you can feel the scent better and your nose picks it up for longer when you spray less.
Spraying a lot and getting a personal scent bubble can be fun, especially when home alone, but you can overload your nose too quickly like this. I also noticed just one spray or two can actually be more effective sometimes.

Although I actually feel like I don't really belong neither here nor at the Oversprayers club. As a mostly 4-6 sprays gal I probably need a club for "regular sprayers" :D

Haha I feel the same way. I used to be part of the "oversprayers club" but as I fiddled with application areas and methods, I found my sweet spot to be two sprays to my mid chest and one to the back of each hand, so I'm at 4 sprays too (although, I don't count the first spray, cause its usually not a full spray, so you could call it 5). Occasionally with a weaker scent, I'll add one or two more to the side/back of the neck, for 6 max. Where's the "regular sprayers lounge"???

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
It's amazing how much stronger a fragrance you haven't worn in awhile can seem. One summer I blew through a 50ml of Frederic Malle Eau de Magnolia because I was spraying a lot and it's great at making you feel fresh when it is hot and humid.

Haven't worn it in awhile and today I wore 3 sprays remembering that it is pretty light and I feel like it is just blasting me with woody lemon freshness for hours.

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
Welcome one and all!

Finally, after 11 years on Basenotes...I have found my people.

ONE SPRAY. THE END.

Finally! What took so long? :D

Haven't been on the forum in a while and this caught my eye and made me laugh. We're definitely in the minority.

I don't think I've ever used more than a spray of anything except maybe Angeliques Sous La Pluie or some of the Guerlain Eau de Colognes. I've always found that one spray is the perfect amount for a scent bubble that doesn't scream for attention, and enough to pull others in for more. Modern fragrances often have such crazy sillage and intensity that more than one spray leads to habituation, and then you can't even enjoy the fragrance as much.

A lot of the fragrance reviewers complaining about problems with performance are usually due to habituation and over-spraying. Trust me, they can smell you from across the room, and you're known as the Cologne Guy (I used to be one).

Edit: Oh, and I'm currently wearing one spray to the chest of Rose Poivree by The Different Company, on a chilly rainy day. Everytime there's a little breeze I get beautiful whiffs of that melancholy rose, wet earth, a distant purr of civet.

I usually do just 1 spray on the chest.
I've found that going from 2-3 sprays down to 1 has made me appreciate a lot of fragrances more than before: I feel like I can pick up more of the nuances and the dry down becomes more interesting.
Also I think that I can pick up my lighter fragrances easier and for longer periods.

Oh look, a lounge for me.

A fun lounge!

Haha I feel the same way. I used to be part of the "oversprayers club" but as I fiddled with application areas and methods, I found my sweet spot to be two sprays to my mid chest and one to the back of each hand, so I'm at 4 sprays too (although, I don't count the first spray, cause its usually not a full spray, so you could call it 5). Occasionally with a weaker scent, I'll add one or two more to the side/back of the neck, for 6 max. Where's the "regular sprayers lounge"???

DanHD

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 15, 2013

I like lighter tobacco fragrances in the style of Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme or Herrera for Men.

Finally, I find a few modern fragrances others might call “generic” quite good for light wear. The best example of this is probably Dior Homme 2020, but Mr. Burberry (edt) is another one.

Mark Birley and Channel Pour Monsieur are a couple. I'm going to get another sample of Boy Chanel - deceptively simple and compelling

TRBeck

May 27, 2008

Monsieur de Givenchy, Prada Luna Rossa, Lanvin L'Homme, and Platinum Egoiste seem to work well, with lavender being the primary common link among them.

qja

Oct 11, 2019
What a great thread! I always feel in the stark minority with this because I spray as little as possible every time - and when something is still too strong with one spray, I decant it into a little 2-3ml roller ball bottle or dab it. Like someone mentioned before, I find that I get to enjoy the nuances far more when I use less.

Last edited:

faubel

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 10, 2019
Two dabs from a sample vial of Mousse Illuminee on the top of my wrist. Usually I'd stop at one, but I'm trying to figure out whether to get a bottle of this. Might decant into a spray vial for a different perspective.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Two dabs from a sample vial of Mousse Illuminee on the top of my wrist. Usually I'd stop at one, but I'm trying to figure out whether to get a bottle of this. Might decant into a spray vial for a different perspective.

An amazing scent and full bottle worthy IMO. Spraying it might be a good idea. I personally prefer sprays over vials.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020

I do this as well! My sample will last forever. Going on a year now hahah. It’s perfect for how strong it is.

faubel

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 10, 2019
An amazing scent and full bottle worthy IMO. Spraying it might be a good idea. I personally prefer sprays over vials.

I've gotten two sample vials of it and it's one of the first scents that made me go "wow!" in surprise but also fascination, drawing me in. I'm pretty new to niche but it seems complex to me, morphing around, different aspects peeking through at different times. It's so sweet and soft on the sleeve of the hoodie I was wearing a couple days ago.

faubel

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 10, 2019
I do this as well! My sample will last forever. Going on a year now hahah. It’s perfect for how strong it is.

Right? I'm scared of how strong it will be in a spray. But also the two vials I have are so hard to open. Would be nice to have it in a spray vial and I don't mind dabbing a bit from the atomizer tube if needed.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
Yesterday I wore 2 sprays of Guerlain Vol de Nuit EDT. It was great, just enough to give me little golden puffs throughout the day. In the afternoon, I was mountain biking in a cool, light, alpine drizzle, and when the breeze shifted just right, I'd get a little waft of Vol de Nuit and body heat, which made for a pleasant climb and added to the ambiance of the ride. It was really nice.

faubel

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 10, 2019
Yesterday I wore 2 sprays of Guerlain Vol de Nuit EDT. It was great, just enough to give me little golden puffs throughout the day. In the afternoon, I was mountain biking in a cool, light, alpine drizzle, and when the breeze shifted just right, I'd get a little waft of Vol de Nuit and body heat, which made for a pleasant climb and added to the ambiance of the ride. It was really nice.

Is that the current EDT in the bee bottle? Been wanting to try it.

Today, one spray of Fahrenheit Parfum to the upper outer arm, then wiped down vigorously with a microfiber cloth and water about an hour later because it was way too much. Five hours later I'm still getting strong wafts of it. Love the stuff but it is really strong to me. The bottle is a new acquisition, I had been dabbing from a sample atomizer tube. Will see if that bottle can do partial sprays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News