A Lounge for us "Under Sprayers"

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
Tell me how little you wore today.

I did a single spray of En Passant to the chest. An interesting quality to this already light perfume is that I find when I overspray, I stop smelling it a lot quicker. But one shot and I notice wafts throughout the day.

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Ohhhh boy! Lol....I wonder if anyone will show you up, saying they sprayed a quarter of a pump!

How about ZERO sprays? :wink:

I used Bath & Body Works Whitewater Rush Hair and Body Wash in the shower on Wednesday afternoon, and tonight in a hot tub, over 24 hours later, I could smell it beautifully! It has a ton of ambrox in a GIT-ish base.

It was so good, I'm going to actually spray the fragrance tonight! But I did shower with it again a couple of hours ago.

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
Nice one, the longest lasting soap/bodwash experience I had was Byredo's "Sunday Cologne" soap. Similarly full of tenacious aroma chemicals, I could smell this on my skin for a good few hours after the shower.

I used Bath & Body Works Whitewater Rush Hair and Body Wash in the shower on Wednesday afternoon, and tonight in a hot tub, over 24 hours later, I could smell it beautifully! It has a ton of ambrox in a GIT-ish base.

It was so good, I'm going to actually spray the fragrance tonight! But I did shower with it again a couple of hours ago.

motorcade

Dec 21, 2020
I only spray three sprays max of anything. Applied on the same spot to the chest, that is plenty for my personal scent bubble. I do not want projection past that. Many times just one spray is enough. This is not a culture where you wear fragrances for compliments - "smelling" is by and large frowned upon in almost any social context.

Last edited:

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Nice one, the longest lasting soap/bodwash experience I had was Byredo's "Sunday Cologne" soap. Similarly full of tenacious aroma chemicals, I could smell this on my skin for a good few hours after the shower.

Shower gels and shampoos are an excellent way to "go light"!

In any case, I just did 2 half-sprays of Whitewater Rush now. Need to stay light for the Friday Sync, which is "old school" stuff (theme = "Golden Age of Hollywood") this week.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011

I tried Whitewater Rush for the first time during SAS last winter. It reminded me of Freshwater and Ocean.

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
I tried Whitewater Rush for the first time during SAS last winter. It reminded me of Freshwater and Ocean.

Yes, they definitely borrowed a bit from Ocean - which they did for Atlantic, too. I've only recently enjoyed Ocean, which is a lot more enjoyable for me to wear than it is to sniff on paper. But Whitewater Rush was an easy love for me, from the moment I sniffed it.

I have a body spray for Freshwater - not sure I want to go for the cologne. I like some of the newer ones much more!

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Finally! What took so long? :D

I'm not sure I qualify today. Three sprays from a decant of Creed - BdP. Maybe that's 1,5 - 2 sprays from a bottle. Is that fine? :)

Fine with me!

Half-sprays count at the low end.

Seriously, this is where fine metering of scent really does matter. "Sprays" is like "long-distance units". Miles, nautical miles, kilometers - there's a difference!

It also depends on the scent a bit. TdHETF needs a lot of sprays to persist. Three full ones is restrained, IMO.

Beck

May 13, 2014
Hahaha! Nice thread. Lately I’m “underspraying” a lot. I pass through low tolerance to fragrances sometimes and right now I passing through one of these times.
Right now two spays of Guerlain Herba Fresca that is very little when considering it. Will reapply later.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Yes, they definitely borrowed a bit from Ocean - which they did for Atlantic, too. I've only recently enjoyed Ocean, which is a lot more enjoyable for me to wear than it is to sniff on paper. But Whitewater Rush was an easy love for me, from the moment I sniffed it.

I have a body spray for Freshwater - not sure I want to go for the cologne. I like some of the newer ones much more!

Ocean is my favorite by far for the fresh scents. I also enjoyed Suede, have you tried that one? It came out again at SAS along with Paris.

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
Haha, yea! I used to be a 1 fragrance a day kinda guy but since COVID I typically spray on something else at night. But sometimes I'm just enjoying the dry down of my morning fragrance so much I don't want to cover it up with anything else at night.

Likewise, there have been times where my night scent was still giving me some delightful soft vibes in the morning and I didn't want to wash it off. I remember this in particular with Naomi Goodsir's Bois d'Ascese where half a spray is usually plenty for 24 hours.

There you go!

Coasting on a quality base gets some respect, finally! :beer:

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Ocean is my favorite by far for the fresh scents. I also enjoyed Suede, have you tried that one? It came out again at SAS along with Paris.

I have Paris, and wear it every once in a while. Not a huge fan - would have probably liked a Suede purchase better! I never got that one.

Noir and Bourbon are still my faves, with WWR coming in third. Marble and Graphite are nice, though - I may get the bigger bottles at some point. I tend to overspray the lighter B&BW scents when I get into them!

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I have Paris, and wear it every once in a while. Not a huge fan - would have probably liked a Suede purchase better! I never got that one.

Noir and Bourbon are still my faves, with WWR coming in third. Marble and Graphite are nice, though - I may get the bigger bottles at some point. I tend to overspray the lighter B&BW scents when I get into them!

I like Noir but it was very weak. Bourbon I should've given more time with, I switched out. Graphite was nice. I like the Aromatherapy Stress Relief collection.

And none of this require a single spray!

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
I very much regret doing 4 sprays of Le Lion today, it's way too strong! Next time I'll go in with max 2, maybe even 1 spray. The same goes for my Siberian Musk decant, which seems to have intensified exponentially while sitting in my drawer. I tried 1,5 sprays and it was just overwhelming. I might switch to dabbing for that one.

L'Aventurier

May 8, 2008
Haven't been on the forum in a while and this caught my eye and made me laugh. We're definitely in the minority.

I don't think I've ever used more than a spray of anything except maybe Angeliques Sous La Pluie or some of the Guerlain Eau de Colognes. I've always found that one spray is the perfect amount for a scent bubble that doesn't scream for attention, and enough to pull others in for more. Modern fragrances often have such crazy sillage and intensity that more than one spray leads to habituation, and then you can't even enjoy the fragrance as much.

A lot of the fragrance reviewers complaining about problems with performance are usually due to habituation and over-spraying. Trust me, they can smell you from across the room, and you're known as the Cologne Guy (I used to be one).

Edit: Oh, and I'm currently wearing one spray to the chest of Rose Poivree by The Different Company, on a chilly rainy day. Everytime there's a little breeze I get beautiful whiffs of that melancholy rose, wet earth, a distant purr of civet.

DanHD

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 15, 2013
One spray today of One Man Show onto my hand and then dabbed onto 4 spots on chest and stomach. My technique for enjoying heavy hitters.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
Went with half a spray of Agar de Noir tonight. It’s just enough to catch beautiful wafts from under my shirt but not enough to bother people 10 feet away from me like a full spray does.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
I usually spray just the tops of my wrists. It's like keeping a snack in one's pocket and being able to seek it out when wanting the experience.

Hey, me too! While sitting and working, wrist sprays are just fine and give me all the scent I need for general enjoying and up-close sniffs. Plus I can easily wash it off if I want to wear something else without clashing. I'll spray 1-2x more to the core if I'm going to be out and moving.

Today: 2 sprays, one to each wrist, for Eau de Patou. And then I was enjoying it so much I did one more to the core. It's a deceptively strong one.

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
One spray of Cartier Oud and Oud from yesterday is still smelling great this afternoon. It is not a beastly oud monster, it is rather quiet and refined with moderate sillage throughout. But it is tenacious. As it wears it almost gets a stronger with an ongoing smoldering effect like embers from a long extinguished fire.

I'm no oud expert but I'm guessing this is from the presence of real oud. Similar to the way iris can grow stronger as it wears, this fragrance seemed to become more present several hours after application.

boui_boui

Nov 14, 2018
I usually do just 1 spray on the chest.
I've found that going from 2-3 sprays down to 1 has made me appreciate a lot of fragrances more than before: I feel like I can pick up more of the nuances and the dry down becomes more interesting.
Also I think that I can pick up my lighter fragrances easier and for longer periods.

deltasun

Jun 12, 2017
Hey, me too! While sitting and working, wrist sprays are just fine and give me all the scent I need for general enjoying and up-close sniffs. Plus I can easily wash it off if I want to wear something else without clashing. I'll spray 1-2x more to the core if I'm going to be out and moving.

Today: 2 sprays, one to each wrist, for Eau de Patou. And then I was enjoying it so much I did one more to the core. It's a deceptively strong one.

Literally wrists? I work in front of a computer all day and get my wrists rubbing my desk/keyboard pretty much the whole time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News