A Kouros Improved Reformulation Question ?

david

Jun 7, 2005
I know I have been posting a lot of Kouros threads lately, (because It's one of my favourites and I'm shocked that it may be soon discontinued).

I wanted to share this...
I recently bought the newest formulation in the silver striped packaging with silver Kouros logo.
I also bought an earlier packaging, (single white stripe with silver edge). YvesSaintLaurent on the front base and list of ingredients on the back. The flacon does not have the silver base or shoulders.
I have been parallel testing the two versions a lot over the last few days and have come to the conclusion that there is quite a difference between them, (at least to my nose).
I find the latest version to be much better, eg, stronger and better performance than the previous packaging.
I'm wondering if YSL has reformulated/tweaked it once again to get it more akin to the older stuff ?...the same way that Dior improved the latest version of Fahrenheit ???

nosey74

Aug 30, 2014
I know I have been posting a lot of Kouros threads lately, (because It's one of my favourites and I'm shocked that it may be soon discontinued).

I wanted to share this...
I recently bought the newest formulation in the silver striped packaging with silver Kouros logo.
I also bought an earlier packaging, (single white stripe with silver edge). YvesSaintLaurent on the front base and list of ingredients on the back. The flacon does not have the silver base or shoulders.
I have been parallel testing the two versions a lot over the last few days and have come to the conclusion that there is quite a difference between them, (at least to my nose).
I find the latest version to be much better, eg, stronger and better performance than the previous packaging.
I'm wondering if YSL has reformulated/tweaked it once again to get it more akin to the older stuff ?...the same way that Dior improved the latest version of Fahrenheit ???

So are you saying this version

118699.jpg

is better than this version?

836m.jpg

david

Jun 7, 2005
So are you saying this version

118699.jpg

is better than this version?

836m.jpg

Neither of those versions. The latest version has a silver stripe and silver Kouros logo. The slightly older one I have has a single white stripe, (with a thin silver border at the edges of the white stripe). The flacon does not have silver shouder or base. The packaging for both of the versions I'm talking about is different from these two images.

david

Jun 7, 2005
All of the flacons with metal base and shoulder I find to be superior to the more modern reformulations, (where the metal shoulder/base are missing).

nosey74

Aug 30, 2014
Neither of those versions. The latest version has a silver stripe and silver Kouros logo. The slightly older one I have has a single white stripe, (with a thin silver border at the edges of the white stripe). The flacon does not have silver shouder or base. The packaging for both of the versions I'm talking about is different from these two images.

Can you share pictures of what you’re taking about to supplement your descriptions?

Foamywax

May 2, 2013
I tried Kouros with the silver shoulder bottle two days ago and it was just fantastic in every way. Beautiful fragrance very floral with a light sweetness. I think Kouros is one of the very best

david

Jun 7, 2005
20210915_125551.jpg

Here are the two versions I'm referring to. The top, (latest) version I find much better than the bottom, (older) version.
The latest version seems to have been reformed, (yet again) but is an improvement. It is stronger, has better sillage and lasts longer.
The bottom package/ reromulation is very quiet by comparison and stays that way from beginning to end.

Marand75

Heaven's made of Oakmoss!
Basenotes Plus
Feb 9, 2018
View attachment 161453

Here are the two versions I'm referring to. The top, (latest) version I find much better than the bottom, (older) version.
The latest version seems to have been reformed, (yet again) but is an improvement. It is stronger, has better sillage and lasts longer.
The bottom package/ reromulation is very quiet by comparison and stays that way from beginning to end.
Very interresting. I'm definately gonna try the latest version anyway.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Thanks for the pics! I think I do have the latest version in the pic as well. I agree it's strong and lasts well. It doesn't have the strong animalics of the very vintage one, but I agree that it's acceptable.

cacio

ihxb01

Jan 26, 2020
Neither of those versions. The latest version has a silver stripe and silver Kouros logo. The slightly older one I have has a single white stripe, (with a thin silver border at the edges of the white stripe)... The packaging for both of the versions I'm talking about is different from these two images.

Besides obvious differences in sizes, I struggle to spot any distinctions between pictures of boxes provided by nosey74 and you. Could you please provide a formula code of the newer version?

david

Jun 7, 2005
Thanks for the pictures. The box pictures you posted and those I posted still look the same to me - colors on box may look different due to lighting.

Yes you are right. Sorry, my mistake. I now see the silver border when I look closely at the white stripe on your photo.
...but the flacon with silver shoulder standing next to the packaging does not match because it has the silver shoulder and base.

david

Jun 7, 2005
Besides obvious differences in sizes, I struggle to spot any distinctions between pictures of boxes provided by nosey74 and you. Could you please provide a formula code of the newer version?

Yes you are right. I could not make out the silver border on nosey74's photo...and the photo of the latest version looked different. His packages are exactly the same, but my flacons both do not have the silver shoulder/base. His photo shows one of those packages containing a flacon with silver base and shoulder. Strange (?)

Marand75

Basenotes Plus
Feb 9, 2018
Yes you are right. I could not make out the silver border on nosey74's photo...and the photo of the latest version looked different. His packages are exactly the same, but my flacons both do not have the silver shoulder/base. His photo shows one of those packages containing a flacon with silver base and shoulder. Strange (?)
Not strange at all. L'Oreal just used up the older boxes after they cancelled the silver trim (shoulders and base).

Dago

Mar 4, 2021
Thank you very much for your post! You saved me some money, since I own the latest formula and I was considering buying a pre-2011 l'Oreal bottle. Now I'll think it through.

Your feedback seems to validate my impression that while being a priceless resource for dating fragrance bottles and boxes, Raiders of the Lost Scent is quite biased and unaccountable regarding the judgement about the quality of the different formulas, following the ideological approach that older is always stronger and better (and I'm not referring to just Kouros).

Besides the strenght, are there to you any macroscopic differences between the two, scent-wise? If yes, how would you describe them?

motorcade

Dec 21, 2020
Maybe they worked around the oakmoss restrictions and came up with a solution on these newer batches.

Atranol and chloroatranol are now prohibited, not just restricted. If even trace amounts are not allowed anymore, I think oakmoss and treemoss would need to be dropped completely.

motorcade

Dec 21, 2020
Oakmoss and treemoss are still being used in lesser amounts.

It was a restriction previously but now prohibition. From the first Google search hit:

HICC, Atranol and Chloroatranol Now Prohibited in the EU

According to the regulation, the cosmetics or fragrances containing these substances may not be placed on the EU market anymore (since August 23rd, 2019). As of August 23rd, 2021, the ban will expand to the selling of remaining stock.

david

Jun 7, 2005
Question from Dago..."Besides the strenght, are there to you any macroscopic differences between the two, scent-wise? If yes, how would you describe them?"

The formula in the lower photo, (50 ml packaging) seems much weaker to my nose. When I first sprayed it on the strip I could hardly smell anything. Eventually it came through, but very weak and linea. It did not evolve at all.
By contrast the newest packaging formula seems much more like the old Kouros we all know and love, (well some of us...lol!). Maybe the performance and sillage is not the same as the vintage, but the opening 'blast' is to my nose exactly like the vintage opening.

yourthemannowdog

Jan 22, 2021
View attachment 161453

your comparing two crappy versions of current kouros . they make the batches up with what they have available at the time some of the batches can really suck poor quality control plus the bottles can go off because there so crappy now

Foamywax

May 2, 2013
I tried latest Kouros last year and it seemed pretty nice to me. I did try the vintage more recently and I loved it but I don't have both so I could test them side by side.

Marand75

Basenotes Plus
Feb 9, 2018
Thanks for the pics, David. IMHO there's nothing wrong with these and current is pretty good. Still Kouros. I have several versions from Ritz and onwards, and of course one cannot expect the classics to smell the same today as they did back then, but I'm just glad that L'Oreal haven't done as crappy a reformulation with Kouros as I think they did with the latest Polo (green). So I agree with you that the current Kouros actually feels slightly improved, especially considering the endless restrictions and bans on ingredients.

david

Jun 7, 2005
Thanks for the pics, David. IMHO there's nothing wrong with these and current is pretty good. Still Kouros. I have several versions from Ritz and onwards, and of course one cannot expect the classics to smell the same today as they did back then, but I'm just glad that L'Oreal haven't done as crappy a reformulation with Kouros as I think they did with the latest Polo (green). So I agree with you that the current Kouros actually feels slightly improved, especially considering the endless restrictions and bans on ingredients.

Thanks for your post Marand75. Glad you agree with me.

Staff online

Latest News