A Forgotten Little Gem: Uomo Ghe by Gherardini (1973)

Marand75

Heaven's made of Oakmoss!
Basenotes Plus
Feb 9, 2018
Okay, so first let me give y'all my thoughts on the virgin-wearing of this a couple days ago. I highly recommend this for fans of 1970s italian citrus chypres. Or 'fouchypres'...
19512ad4b4c00e0f4b3e0a8801749457.jpg

"This is a new arrival and a little-known (it seems) italian citrusy musky chypre (although borderline fougére'ish in some parts) called Uomo Ghe (1973) by Firenze-based house Gherardini. It opens with a blast of lemon, bergamot and herbs (I think there is a touch of mandarine too). It goes on with dusty/powdery florals and a touch green, so far reminiscent of Capucci PH. It then goes on dusty and woody-musky in the base and ends on a lovely bed of musky oakmoss, and slightly dirty.
There's not a whole lot going on and it's not super complex (and it IS a first-ever wearing), but It's gooood and I do enjoy it alot. I first applied it to the back of my hand and it lasted until my shower, 5 hrs on! Now (post-shower), I went full-application.
On fabric it's appears a tad more crisp and nuanced, but there's just something about it, reacting to your skin's natural musk.
My bottle is a 1970s atomiseur in pristine condition. Juice is fresh and sharp. Recommended."

Can't find any note-pyramid on this.
I just wanted to spread the word on Uomo Ghe, really[emoji106]
5b935bcd476f1b5cdedce171499e4daf.jpg
aa7622768d9b930150326c08050df12d.jpg
43b1827f1da1b9eb2640083022f55ac4.jpg

Edit: here's what I could put together from bits and pieces (Note: there are definately notes missing):

TOP:
Basil, Bergamot,
Neroli, Petitgrain, Rosemary
HEART:
Geranium, Jasmine, Clary sage,
BASE:
Oakmoss, Musk, Tonka bean, Civet

Last edited:

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Quick and dirty search says Gherardini is a Florentine luxury accessories line founded in 1885, primarily known for leather handbags. Gherardini got into the fragrance game c.1973 with Ghe and Uomo Ghe, followed by Donna in 1982, then Grazia in 1986, all produced and distributed in conjunction with Satinine. In 1993, they switched from Satinine to Guaber to release Femme and Homme (and L'Uomo, which from the description I've seen is quite possibly the same as Homme), and then Femme and Homme Sport flankers the following year.

Beyond that, the most notable thing about Gherardini is the likelihood that ancestor Lisa Gherardini was the model for the Mona Lisa.

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Thank you for the info, will look up and make the best of any testing opportunity for this asap, especially as its note composition, age, even outer appearance seems quite close to certain long term fragrance favorites and tastes

Marand75

Heaven's made of Oakmoss!
Basenotes Plus
Feb 9, 2018
Quick and dirty search says Gherardini is a Florentine luxury accessories line founded in 1885, primarily known for leather handbags. Gherardini got into the fragrance game c.1973 with Ghe and Uomo Ghe, followed by Donna in 1982, then Grazia in 1986, all produced and distributed in conjunction with Satinine. In 1993, they switched from Satinine to Guaber to release Femme and Homme (and L'Uomo, which from the description I've seen is quite possibly the same as Homme), and then Femme and Homme Sport flankers the following year.

Beyond that, the most notable thing about Gherardini is the likelihood that ancestor Lisa Gherardini was the model for the Mona Lisa.
Thanks for that, PS! Mona Lisa, eh? Ol' Smiley. Pretty awesome.

Thank you for the info, will look up and make the best of any testing opportunity for this asap, especially as its note composition, age, even outer appearance seems quite close to certain long term fragrance favorites and tastes
You're welcome! Haven't had much luck in finding minis, but there has to be some out there[emoji106]

david

Jun 7, 2005
I have several from this house. Club Privé is really interesting. I started a thread about this house in 2010 titled "Info on Gherardini".

Jean-Sté

Jan 1, 2021
Hello all ! First, thanks to my friend Marand, i just bought a bottle of this one; I trust on his very good feeling about scents ! I'll let know when I get it.

I've found some info about it on this site:

https://www.parfumanie.cz/database/detail/uomo-ghe-eau-de-toilette-gherardini

Top notes: Basil, Bergamot, Neroli, Petitgrain, Rosemary

Heart notes: Geranium, Jasmin, Nutmeg, Cloves

Base notes: Musk, Tonka, (Cibetka which I don't know)

Hope it helps !

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you, PStoller, and apologies: I didn't notice you gave the pyramid scent before; I'm sorry!
I gave the pyramid for l’Uomo Gherardini (1993), whereas you gave the pyramid for Uomo Ghe (1973). So, no redundancy with me (and I wouldn’t have been bothered if there were). Marand has the Uomo Ghe pyramid at the end of his initial post.

Latest News