2022 Price Hikes?

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
Don't want to cause alarm, as I don't know of any. But does anyone know for sure of price hikes that will be coming in the new year?

I remember last year several brands raised prices $10-20 shortly after the new year. I wonder if it has always been this way and it's just the first time I noticed, or if it's also partly due to the impact of COVID.

I want to know most about Chanel, as they did raise European prices last year but the U.S. price never changed. There are a couple Les Exclusives I still want to pick up and I'm wondering if I should try to buy them before the New Year or not. Unfortunately, I'm not close enough to any Chanel SA to get any advanced info about this because I'm not super loyal about where I buy Chanel. Anyone know?

Nom de Guerre

Jan 2, 2020
Due to FOMO, I’ve managed to get all the Les Exclusifs I want - minus Eau de Cologne. Just a couple days ago I did a brief search on wether l had a nightmare or I heard a rumor that there is going to be a reformulation wave at Chanel (Dacob?) in the first months of 2022 due to IFRA. Please take this with a grain of salt since I’m not entirely sure if I didn’t make it up.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
COVID has had an impact on multiple fronts—sales, lifestyle, economic security, labor cost/availability, supply chain, etc.—so of course prices will go up. Even before COVID, niche (and pseudo-niche) fragrance companies were competing in the price/exclusivity space, which we can expect to continue as long as wealth concentration remains stable or increases.

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
Yea I'm well aware of the speculation and that prices generally will always rise as time passes.

I guess I'm wondering more specifically if anyone has been tipped off by their SA about price increases happening right after the 1st of the year.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
Honestly more worried about the sharp increase in grocery prices than fragrance. Ground beef to make 2 boxes of Hamburger Helper is now $20, more than double what it was this time last year.

Not that raising prices in fragrance aren't disparaging too, it's just I already have a ton and can default to Avon or gray market if I really need a new fix badly and retail reaches prohibitive levels.

naylor

Oct 24, 2011
As stated, I think this can be expected from a majority of houses. Many, such as Creed, have already been taking annual or bi-annual increases consistently for years. I see no reason for that to change now.

Also, I think it's important to always remember that fragrances are luxury goods -- not commodities. And I would dare say that a majority of us probably aren't habitually paying retail prices for full bottles anyway.

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021
As stated, I think this can be expected from a majority of houses. Many, such as Creed, have already been taking annual or bi-annual increases consistently for years. I see no reason for that to change now.

Also, I think it's important to always remember that fragrances are luxury goods -- not commodities. And I would dare say that a majority of us probably aren't habitually paying retail prices for full bottles anyway.
100% agree. A lot of people like to blame inflation as the main culprit, but the truth is that companies just want to charge as money as they can get away with. There's also an idea that strikes a chord with the average luxury fragrance consumer that more expensive is better, so they can't be out priced by other brands in the luxury sphere. The main reason Guerlain decided to raise their prices so dramatically is to maintain their status in the eyes of the average luxury fragrance consumer. My golden rule is that if I 100% know I want something from retail, I buy it as soon as possible to save some money.

FiveoaksBouquet

Scented.
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
Due to the entire upward revamping of their whole line I’ve been on a Guerlain hiatus, except for a couple of backup online buys of favourites. In Canada we don’t have all the options yet but they were very quick to bring in l’Art et la Matière in the $400s-$600s range and have so far kept Aqua Allegoria and a few stragglers in the bee bottles from among the classics. But the legendary Guerlains in the new 75ml format are only coming they said around February, obviously at higher prices per ml. I thought L’Art et la Matière was already high-priced; now it’s astronomical and will probably continue to rise in the future. Has anyone heard if this upscaling strategy on Guerlain’s part has been successful? I feel like Guerlain is no more.

ultravisitor

Nov 4, 2014
I hate to think how much the Louis Vuitton fragrances will go up, but I imagine they're due.

Fortunately, I already have the only 2 I really like.
LV raises prices twice a year, though I'm not sure if the fragrances are included in every price hike. They've gone up $20 or $30 since 2018, so I don't imagine they'll raise them too much.

There are one or two more LVs that I'd like to have, but I don't need them too much.

naylor

Oct 24, 2011
The Henry Jacques boutique at Harrods raised prices by 20% across the board as of January 1, with no advanced warning. Quite shocking.

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
Not a big fan of Guerlain, but they are jumping above their head with price increase when they dont improve formulas. I was looking at a few like cuir beluga, rose nacree possibly for myself and tonka imperiale for my sister, but with higher prices - forget it

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
These price increase threads happen every year..."and"...every year we see at least some fragrance companies/houses increase their prices.

It is inevitable and I like to live in my fantasy world that I can continue to afford my fragrance habit so I generally ignore these threads each year.

Unfortunately, I do agree that COVID-19 is going to continue to be the reason for more and more fragrance producers to increase their prices as their costs increase at a faster pace because of all the issues caused by COVID.😶

GoldWineMemories

Nov 22, 2019
Due to the entire upward revamping of their whole line I’ve been on a Guerlain hiatus, except for a couple of backup online buys of favourites. In Canada we don’t have all the options yet but they were very quick to bring in l’Art et la Matière in the $400s-$600s range and have so far kept Aqua Allegoria and a few stragglers in the bee bottles from among the classics. But the legendary Guerlains in the new 75ml format are only coming they said around February, obviously at higher prices per ml. I thought L’Art et la Matière was already high-priced; now it’s astronomical and will probably continue to rise in the future. Has anyone heard if this upscaling strategy on Guerlain’s part has been successful? I feel like Guerlain is no more.

Truthfully, other than allowing people to purchase well kept reformulations of classics, Guerlain hasn't been Guerlain in a long time.

GoldWineMemories

Nov 22, 2019
Chanel looks to have raised their prices by 10%.
Oh my. Here it looks like price raises haven't hit the EDP's of the Exclusifs, but the parfums are now $280. You're looking at over $300 post tax for 15ml of parfum that is insane. I don't even think Roja's ridiclous prices touch that -- other than the stuff that clearly only has a few bottles made a lifetime.

LightYagami

May 22, 2021
Oh my. Here it looks like price raises haven't hit the EDP's of the Exclusifs, but the parfums are now $280. You're looking at over $300 post tax for 15ml of parfum that is insane. I don't even think Roja's ridiclous prices touch that -- other than the stuff that clearly only has a few bottles made a lifetime.
yeesh! Macys doesn’t seem to have updated them yet.

FiveoaksBouquet

Scented.
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
Truthfully, other than allowing people to purchase well kept reformulations of classics, Guerlain hasn't been Guerlain in a long time.

Probably true. Guerlain had a little mini-Renaissance here during the years that the Institut existed. It was very old-world and inviting. They had a nice wide selection, at different price ranges. Then they closed the Institute and limited the choices. Then a couple of years after that they tried something else by opening up their bar with lots of classic and lesser known perfumes in coloured bee bottles, refillable. Then they suddenly whisked that away and brought in the new more expensive L’Art et la Matière and only kept a few classics and Aqua Allegoria, while waiting for Les Légendaires. So colour me confused! What is Guerlain supposed to be? It’s like they themselves don’t know who they are.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Considering the current runaway inflation stateside, I would very much expect price increases for beauty products.

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Price hikes? Yes, as usual, every 2-3 years.
What concerns me the most is that less great deals will be found on ebay from private sellers. Indeed, new federal tax regulations now requires any seller that has generated more than $600 of sales from ebay (or any platform selling 'goods", like Mercari, but also Paypal G&S payments) to file a form 1099, and will be taxed on the income resulting from these sales (that is: profits made on the resale of a product). That will unavoidably generate a price increase of roughly 10-15%, that I personally already noticed.

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
Chanel Les Exclusifs parfum has increased 17% from $240 to $280.
I'm so annoyed, I figured they would since Europe got a price increase last year that never hit the U.S. But I asked an SA from Chanel, who I've shopped with several times, if she can give me a heads up on any price increase as there's a couple I'm wanting to buy soon and she said "Oh nooo, I don't think price is changing on these any time soon".

This is also a hugeee increase, I can stomach $10-15 a year to keep up with inflation and whatnot, but over 20% increase is really puts me off.

Nom de Guerre

Jan 2, 2020
I'm so annoyed, I figured they would since Europe got a price increase last year that never hit the U.S. But I asked an SA from Chanel, who I've shopped with several times, if she can give me a heads up on any price increase as there's a couple I'm wanting to buy soon and she said "Oh nooo, I don't think price is changing on these any time soon".

This is also a hugeee increase, I can stomach $10-15 a year to keep up with inflation and whatnot, but over 20% increase is really puts me off.

I don’t think it over 20% for Chanel, is it? Just checked and there’s no price increase for the Les Exclusifs yet where I’m at.

aioosha

Mar 30, 2020
rQaLrDf.png

Before it was 200 now look!1!!! i'm so angry

Latest News