2 Serge Lutens to pick!

kotch7

Basenotes Member
Aug 14, 2012
Hey guys,

I have just seen the serge Lutens deal online where you get 20% off if you purchase 2 50ml fragrances.

So based on my modest collection, what serge Lutens do you think I would like? It would have to be a blind buy.

Aventus
Eau des beaux
Rance eau superbe
1 million
Pure Havana
Spice bomb
A*men
Pure Havane
A&f fierce

Thanks all!

jasonx

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 24, 2009
I think you will enjoy Chergui & Five O`Clock Au Gingembre (or Jeux de Peau - I do not like this but you might) since they are quite sweet and gourmand-y long the line of majority of your fragrances
Many SL fragrances, especially the floral ones behave very differently on different people so I would against buying blind any of them. However, the ones I suggested are the one that, based on my personal observation, behave well on majority

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
It's always hard to buy blind, but then you seem to like spicy, gourmand, woody, which is exactly what SL does, so I think you'll be fine. Great suggestions already. Ambre sultan if you like a dry, spicy amber; Arabie for bitter herbs; Jeux de peau if you like supergourmands and caramel; Borneo if you like patchouli. My favorite exports are perhaps Tubereuse criminelle and Muscs Koublai Khan, but these are more dangerous for your tastes: Tubereuse criminelle is a big floral, and MKK is a dirty musk.

cacio

T

treeman5823

If you have Pure Havane, you may like Chergui; I always thought PH was the more affable, trashy version of the Lutens. Some others you may consider are Borneo 1834, which is a deep, dry, unsweetened coco and patchouli; Femenite du Bois, a beautiful spiced fruit and cedar; or maybe Santal Majuscule, which will satisfy you sweet tooth. Happy sniffing!

vbs

Basenotes Junkie
May 31, 2011
Chergui - Warm spices and soft woods surround a core of hay-and-vanilla coumarin, honey, and a light tobacco. A hint of rose gives it a genteel lushness. If there's anything in the SL line that I'd consider a sure-fire blind buy for someone with your likes, it would be this.

You might also like:

Ambre Sultan - dark and resinous amber with a bunch of thick wood and spice, quite different from your usual powdery and soft amber.
Chene - gorgeous woody oriental with a hint of rum and beeswax.
Borneo 1834 - Imagine if you took A*Men and removed all the sweetness and the goopy tar note. Smells almost musty in its stark dryness, like an old library filled with dusty shelves.
Five o'clock gingembre - gingerbread and tea with a hint of chocolatey patchouli

bgoc

The Ultimate Smell
Basenotes Plus
Jan 2, 2011
I may be looking to add some to my collection. Would anybody know the difference between normal spray bottles and the "Bell Bottles" in Palais Royal Exclusives?

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
The bell bottles contain scents that are sold only in the Paris store (or online in Europe). Some of them sometimes make their way into the export line (with the square bottles), for a time or permanently. In theory, if something is sold in both lines, the content should be exactly the same. But even Serge Lutens reformulates from time to time, so this need not always be the case. The export bottles also come in dab form, but the box contains also a spray, which you can attach; the bell bottles cannot receive a spray, so people simply decant if they want to spray. The export are 50ml, while the bell jars are 75. I think the export is usually cheaper per ml (though not always) but I haven't redone the math recently.

cacio

bgoc

The Ultimate Smell
Basenotes Plus
Jan 2, 2011
Thank you. I did notice the lack of spray functionality in the "export bell bottles" but I shall give them a call tomorrow and confirm if the smell would be any different.

Yes I did notice the "square export bottles" are cheaper per ml. Very strange!

andym72

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 19, 2008
It's always hard to buy blind, but then you seem to like spicy, gourmand, woody, which is exactly what SL does, so I think you'll be fine. Great suggestions already. Ambre sultan if you like a dry, spicy amber; Arabie for bitter herbs; Jeux de peau if you like supergourmands and caramel; Borneo if you like patchouli.

I was going to say there is also a fruity theme going on, with Aventus, 1 Million, Spicebomb and Pure Havane. So I would suggest Daim Blond and Feminite du Bois need a sniff too... but you are blind buying!

So I'll have to go with everyone else and say Chergui and Five O`Clock Au Gingembre. They are the ones you are least likely to dislike, crowd pleasers.

Sugandaraja

Basenotes Plus
Aug 28, 2007
Potential any one of the sweet orientals he's known for. Really, take your pick of any of great suggestions of here! They're almost all pure winners.

RunSun

Oct 12, 2012
Another for Chergui and Five O'Clock Gigembre, I feel those two are the relatively safest blind buys and both are really good to boot!

kotch7

Basenotes Member
Aug 14, 2012
Thank you all for your great suggestions! Spicy orientals seem to do well on my skin and it seems there a lot to look at in te serge lutens line for me.

I am based in Athens right now and I have found out that there are a few places that carry the line, so I will be heading down tere this week to sample your suggestions!

Latest News