YSL pour Homme
Yves Saint Laurent (1971)

Overall

About YSL pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Yves Saint Laurent
Pierre Dinand

Yves Saint Laurent's signature fragrance.
FIFI awards winner in 1974

Where to buy YSL pour Homme

Reviews of YSL pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

There are 74 reviews of YSL pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent.

YSL PH is a beautiful,"vintage" fragrance from the 1970's that gives us a sort of window into the past.at a time when men's fragrance had to be overtly masculine in order to attract buyers,not UNISEX!we can write 1000 words or keep it very short on this one.classic masculinity in the bottle ...very french...a timeless classic...a masterpiece of style... it reminds me of a long walk in the countryside at the end of summer and the beginning of autumn,in a day where suddenly the fresh and citrus notes are transformed into warm and enveloping notes.

It begins with a very fresh and convincing lemon-herbal top note that, as it fades,gives way to a well-blended, natural smelling woody mossy dark base giving this scent it's unique fresh masculine tone.i find a little animalic notes in the dry down,i detect some civet maybe.there is an earthy greenness that supports the creamy lemon,giving it a kind of aftershave quality,but with more depth.the older one feels a bit a more traditional,stronger and has more dark notes.this pairs with any occasion and exudes a real touch of class or an extra dimension to one's style.a top-notch classic which suggests immediately freshness,richness and manhood.
Nov 6, 2021

Pour Homme and Eau Sauvage are the yin and yang of citrus/chypre, they're at different ends of the spectrum. Eau Sauvage is light and ethereal, Pour Homme is rich and dark.
Lemon and peppery spice give Pour Homme a rawness which is further underscored by moss and patchouli. The other main element is civet, a note that smells luxe and dirty at the same time. Pour Homme is about the (unwashed) body - as much as the scent itself - and with moss, spices and civet it's almost brutal in its delivery. Its influence on dark spicy scents like Havana and Cuba is plain to see.
And it seems that Pour Homme has the force of destiny behind it. A full three years after it was released it won the first ever Men's Prestige FiFi.
Ripe and rich - in the classical French tradition - Pour Homme still divides the sheep from the goats.

FB La Collection
Oct 7, 2020

My favorite chypre, lovely scent. Better dry down than CPM, and lasts much longer.

Feb 18, 2020

Old school citrus, in the same ballpark as Chanel Pour Monsieur. Biggest note is the lemon, sprinkled with some herbal notes for an aromatic kick; not much sweetness here. It's classic, dry, mature, masculine.
May 14, 2019

Lemony woody goodness is how I would summarize YSL pour Homme!

Considering how long this cologne has been around (just one year before my birth!), I admire the arguably legendary character of this scent.

YSL pour Homme is lemon-bergamot plus a string of skillfully incorporated ingredients: lavender, lemon verbena, petitgrain; with spicy and floral notes of rosemary, carnation, clary sage, brazilian rosewood, geranium and marjoram; and all sitting atop a woody-sweet-musky sandalwood, tonka bean, amber, patchouli, musk, vetiver and cedar.

Every time I close my eyes to process this scent, I am hit with well-crafted elements that feel friendly and confident. This is not a single-note lemon scent at all, but the lemony theme drives and defines the journey taken by those beholding it.

A still relevant cologne, YSL pour Homme epitomizes what a legendary scent should be.
Aug 24, 2018

This is a review of the current La Collection formulation which is available now to purchase.

On first application I get a searing piercing lemon citrus accord that is underpinned by mint. And oh boy I was not ready for it's power, it could sear the hairs of your chest. lol You know that bracing effect when you splash freezing cold water over your face or add aftershave to your skin. Well this really awakens the senses like you have been slapped around the chops. This is followed by neroli and petagrain which tries to soften the blow but fails.

The mint adds a menthol effect to the concentrated lemon citrus which you can feel on your skin and around you. Now usually most modern scents the top notes last for about ten minutes or so but this keeps going for about forty minutes before you get to the midnotes. This opening certainly separates the men from the boys, I do like it as I've never experienced it's like. Quite brutal if your not ready for it, I almost thought 3 sprays was too much.

Now in the midnotes everything mellows and it's smells like pure barbershop. I got a flashback memory of when my Grandfather took me to a old barbershop in the late seventies for a haircut, that was the smell. You get a lemon herbal neroli shaving cream with woods which is underpinned by that cool mint effect. I've smelled this accord before in a lot of scents from Givenchy to Chanel but here it has a lot of depth which is what impresses me. When you analyze what you are smelling there is a lot going on. I can pick up Patchouli, woods, thyme and other notes.

I don't really get the dirty notes, well maybe a hint here and there. Maybe YSL have cleaned it up in this formulation or it needs your body chemistry to heat up to come out, I don't know.

All in all I like it and where as the shaving cream accord in Rive Gauche is dark and broody, here it's bright and cool. Thumbs up, what a ride.
Feb 22, 2018

Show more reviews of YSL pour Homme...

Add your review of YSL pour Homme