You Or Someone Like You
Etat Libre d'Orange (2017)

Overall

Chandler Burr
Creative Director

Chandler Burr:

Reviews of You Or Someone Like You by Etat Libre d'Orange

There are 17 reviews of You Or Someone Like You by Etat Libre d'Orange.

In the summer, when it is 80+ degrees outside, this is divine. It's minty, and cool, and fresh, and can cut through the scent of sweaty bodies.

At any other time of the year, I find it unwearable. Too..calonic? Ozonic? Too generic "masculine" fragrance? And of course, it lasts forever. A plus when warm outside, a strong negative when it's less than 80 degrees.

I finished the 7.5 mL bottle, and I'd probably repurchase another in that size just at the beginning of summer.
May 26, 2021

Whilst it is important for perfumers to experiment and try out new and original ideas, I think it is even more important to remember that all perfumes have a function. Fine fragrance perfumery should be all about creating a pleasurable sensation, creating a fragrance that it is enjoyable to wear. Now, call me old fashioned if you will, but I really don't want to smell like Wrigley's chewing gum, or a tube of toothpaste.

On first spray the overwhelming note is Spearmint, Spearmint cranked up to 11. That, on its own, would be just about tolerable as a fine fragrance, but shortly after a nasty mix of ozone and a something harsh and green appears. I thought at first the green note was Triplal, but it carried on for far too long. The stronger this note got the more unpleasant it became. And that I thought was that.

I smelled this on a smelling strip ( thank goodness I didn't spray it on my skin), and was surprised that the following day I detected something sulphurous and Grapefruit like.

This could be used as an air freshener in a public toilet but I hope I will never get it on me.

I guess it does require a certain skill to take a fairly pleasant oil, Spearmint, and use it to create something actively nasty.
Apr 11, 2021

A green rose opening with highlights of grapefruit and bergamot and an undertone of mint. The opening notes aren't overpowering and the citrus fades after the first hour or so. What remains is very leafy green scent, still with an undertone of rose and mint, all riding on a base of clean musk. It doesn't develop further and stayed just above a skin scent for about 6 hours on me. I wouldn't say this is a "mint" fragrance, rather the mint is detectable in a support role. I like this a lot. Easy to wear and very unisex, not floral or ozonic either. Probably not for everyone and I recommend a sample first. Thumbs up for me.
Mar 9, 2021

A whiff of it and I'm a kid again on my grandfather's farm, sitting in a meadow in the backyard - so many mint leaves, the black, red and white currant shrubs - it's early summer, so no berries yet, just leaves - and also gooseberry shrubs and raspberry shrubs with their soft and almost fuzzy leaves, and an occasional stinging nettle, too! I am mesmerized.

Chandler Burr says: "The raw materials are completely irrelevant. The work is the work. If you need to know what it’s made of, don’t wear it; You is not for you." He's right in a way. I don't need to know that there are no raspberry or nettle leaves in there, what's important is that I imagine them when I smell this.
Feb 4, 2021

The smell of sun,grass and happiness.it's so well balanced between citrus and herbs and flowers. just perfection.a cold mint green tea ice cream with a slight twist of lime in a clear glass bowl that's been frosted over in the freezer.delicious!It stayed that way for a nice long time before a lovely floral drydown,the mint still slightly in the background.

It's fresh like rain,clean, bittersweet and invigorating with absolutely no harshness,a bit chilly in a pleasant way.the mint note is one of the most natural mint note I've ever tried.the scent s mostly fragrance to wear in spring& summer but it can easily be worn in colder days as well.The tea combined with the bergamot,cassis,really give a light,airy,fresh,ozonic feeling to the whols fragrance,but the mint is the real player here.it's not a toothpaste-like mint,this is more of a green mint leaf crushed between your fingers kind of mint gives a feeling of early morning in the fields when you feel the freshness of wind on your face.

Close your eyes and enjoy the crispness,the coolness of the mint and herbs and the fresh breakthrough of lemon within a minute or two.Spray this on before bedtime to feel like you're going to sleep on a bed of fresh minty lemony greenery.The sillage is good not heavy at all but definitely noticable.
Dec 8, 2020

A very enjoyable soft green opening, highlighted by mint, and instantly reminds me of a lighter version of Menthe Fraiche. However, after the opening, it's all down hill. It becomes floral, very floral at that, and turns overly feminine. What a shame, because I love the opening! I'll be getting rid of my bottle soon, to someone who will enjoy it more.

Trying this again about a year later, I am noticing a fishy smell that I didn’t get before. it’s actually giving me a headache.
Mar 9, 2019

Show more reviews of You Or Someone Like You...

Add your review of You Or Someone Like You