Wrappings

Elie Roger

Wrappings is a women's perfume launched in 1990 by Clinique

Where to buy Wrappings

Reviews of Wrappings by Clinique

There are 27 reviews of Wrappings by Clinique.

A fascinating crossroads between the 70s green chypre and the ozonic, clean aquatics of the 90s, Wrappings opens with coniferous aldehydes and a cool breeze on seaside samphire and juniper. I hear arpeggiated chords in my head as the scene pans across pine trees in mist, sort of like "Hanging Garden Transfer" by Michael Hoenig (give it a listen!).

This effervescence hovers over sharp, pungent mosses and thujonic (minty, cedar-leafy, sage-like, camphorous) wormwood and the florals, while present, take second fiddle, occasionally whispering a delicate refrain. "Hello, over here..." but the less pretty things are deserving of love and assert themselves through the heart of Wrappings. They do seem to leave some room for what I detect as geranium however. The essential oil after all comes from its leaves and not its flowers. The coniferous accord persists, but gets warmer, more cedary than "needle-y" over time.

A few hours in, the sillage persists but now the predominant notes are vaguely smoky cedar and balsam fir that eclipse whatever traces of leafy, herbal green that preceded it. The aquatic feel still comes through even as it is enveloped in a swath of warm musk.

Wrappings has only been sold during the holiday season for several years but is still in production it seems. I would recommend this to those who appreciate Aliage, Devin, Private Collection, even Calyx or New West. However, it really stands alone as a composition and I find it a delight to wear.

Certainly a most unusual scent, indeed. Hard to categorize it.

Green, herbaceous, woody, balsamic - yes. For me, it smells better on fabric than on my body. In fact, it is one of those scents that one can praise for itself, but one I would not praise as a body scent.

In other words, using this as a room freshener or a scented candle would be the preferable mode of dispensation, not as a perfume.

Still, I must give it a thumbs up as I review scent as scent. Worth a try. It certainly is strong and lasts a good while.

One of only two Clinique offerings reviewed by Barbara Herman in her book.

The only other Clinique scent I have experienced is their biggest hit, Happy, which was for me an over the top feminine floral, which was pleasant to experience but not to personally wear.

The olfactory equivalent of being slapped in the face with a snowy branch: chilly aldehydes and a juicy herbaceous green accord. I don't find Wrappings to be overwhelmingly piney, but the green accord very definitely evokes a dark, wintery forest rather than grassy green meadows. I would describe this as an aldehylic fougere: think White Linen meets Penhaligon's English Fern. It is bracing and very definitely unisex but due to the aldehydes is not as masculine as a traditional fougere.

A weird but wearable mix. On me, it's largely coriander, with that characteristic red watery tea smell extended and made quite pretty by rosy flowers. There are also some dark, dry green herbs as a counterpoint, so the whole thing is a push/pull of dark versus pretty. Oh, and all this happens under a rather obvious vinegar note, as well as some sort of plasticky aldehyde that smells kind of like nail polish remover. The base is a fairly standard chypre affair with hints of both pine and sweet rose geranium added to give it a clever continuity.

Honestly, this shouldn't work. But, if I had smelled it blind, I would have assumed it was an early CDG, one of those that smelled weird and plasticky but also quite beautiful and wearable. I can see how this has developed a quiet cult following.

From the first time I sniffed Wrappings I knew it was unusual. Much credit is due to Estee Lauder for developing this one.

For those who don't appreciate the similarity, then I suppose some might say it smells like those sprays that are sold at Christmas to simulate the fragrance of a real Christmas tree. They are partially right.

Like many Estee Lauder products, this is a big fragrance. It is deep, it is bold, and it lasts well. It really doesn't evolve much over time, and I guess that's OK.

To me it smells very much like Balsam Fir (Christmas trees), plus frankincense, rosemary and lavender. Those are some good smells, and they certainly compliment each other very well. And there's much more in the background, too... and that's why the comparison to holiday room spray is apt, but ultimately inadequate.

Wrappings ia a great fragrance, and perfectly unisex.

Show more reviews of Wrappings...

Add your review of Wrappings