Wall Street

Bond No. 9
David Apel

Where to buy Wall Street

Reviews of Wall Street by Bond No. 9

There are 81 reviews of Wall Street by Bond No. 9.

Wall Street by Bond No. 9 (2004) has absolutely nothing to do with the securities sector whatsoever smell-wise, and really just smells like a very typical mid-2000's freshie. The brand itself states this is an androgynous perfume, and at least in that they are correct; but so were many salty-sweet aquatics born from the loins of Millésime Impérial by Creed (1995) or Ralph Lauren Polo Blue (2002), regardless of what gender they claimed to serve. Once you make it past the usual hubris and marketing shtick with this brand, you get an overpowered fresh synthetic fragrance stuffed into the signature bizarro Bond No. 9 star bottle, this one black and adorned with NYC transit logos like the original Eau de New York (2004) since it is from the house launch line-up. Rather than Vera Venore, industry magnate and Bond founder Laurice Rahmé conjured up David Apel to produce this scent, a guy who knows his way around aquatics, salty fruity notes, and can deliver on any budget. I guess you can say this was a sound decision, because Wall Street indeed delivers on all those fronts, and if that is what Rahmé had in mind for an androgynous fragrance to be worn by money-changers in the Godless house of Wall Street, then also mission accomplished. For me, this doesn't smell like a $400 fragrance simply because the most-popular entries in this style are lower-tier price-wise, but it does smell good, if you can separate the smell from the sticker price.

The opening of Wall Street is a salty cucumber and melon melange, created from a blizzard of aromachemicals including the usual ozonic aldehydes, acetates, dihydromyrcenol, fruity ionones, and green notes. There is sage and lavender here, pressed thin against this very 2000's neon freshness backdrop, and you soon see the connections to the aforementioned Creed and Ralph Lauren fragrances that did it first. Bitter orange and caraway seed lead us into the heart that mainly consists of the lavender and sage, offering up bits of metallic geranium too, before a sweaty sort of gym locker deodorant spray musk enters the picture. From here on out, Bond No. 9 is competing with Axe/Lynx, Adidas, Avon, and various other purveyors of cheap deodorizing blue-bottled or black-canned juices that littered the aisles at Walmart or ended up in gift baskets from the neighborhood Avon lady of the day. These kinds of smells represent a lot of my early 20's so I'm totally cool with it, but I can't forget the price. Finally, bits of oakmoss and vetiver reinforce the sour-candy 2000's musk arrangement, with some salty faux-ambergris created with the old timberol trick that Kenneth Cole used in Black (2003) and preceded the proliferation of the then-expensive ambroxan. Wear time is pretty long being this is an eau de parfum, with projection being strong at first, then quieting down after a few hours. I'd use this in summer if I was going to wear it at all, but there are so many cheaper options that do the exact thing this does, and Wall Street doesn't smell any more quality than them.

I guess if you were right there in 2004 and didn't know any better, you could be duped into buying this for the asking price, but many more options were right around the corner. Kenneth Cole Reaction (2004) had a similar cucumber fresh aquatic vibe and released the same year, Apel himself would compose Unforgiveable by Sean John (2005) for next-year's release, while Paris Hilton for Men (2005) also hit the market. Polo Black by Ralph Lauren (2005) would come out alongside another Kenneth Cole freshie in Signature (2005), then we'd see Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce Cologne (2006) and Nautica Voyage (2006). Before you know it, the market was absolutely awash in fragrances just like Wall Street, and I'm not even including the cheapies like Avon or Yves Rocher. Point is, all of these smell just about of the same quality, with different tones and timbres to their delivery; some of these read more aquatic, some read more ozonic, but all of them are rooty-tooty fresh and fruity like Wall Street by Bond No. 9, and they are all much cheaper. Nowadays, everything except the Bond fragrance floats between $20-$30 save maybe the Polo entries or the A&F, but that's still a whole lotta 2000's freshness for a fraction of the Bond and little qualitative difference unless you really nitpick. This is why, for as much as I like Wall Street, the best I can muster is an indifferent rating. If you're a Bond fan and can get a deal, maybe go for it, maybe not. Neutral
Aug 2, 2021

From a bottle purchased on release. I like it alot, though finding it in the cabinet in Minnesota in February isn't ideal.

For me, more of a warm weather scent. As for the Creed comparisons:

SMW - yeah, maybe in the background, but top notes are completely different. You really have to dig to find the similarities, at least in the first hour of wear.

MI - an earlier reviewer said "substitute Bond cucumber for Creed melon, and they're the same". Understand the concept, but actually SMW is closer if we're shedding topnotes from the comparison.

Erolfa - in some ways, I thought this should be closest. Marine, salt, etc. - sure, they have that in common. After that, two very different frags, and at least for me it's probably the furthest separated. WS is a much brighter beach, whereas Erolfa strikes me as a deeper, darker, sexier version of the genre.

I really like WS. But, over 15 years, I've refilled SMW, MI and Erolfa. And I'm still on my original bottle of WS. So I guess that sums it up.
Feb 6, 2021

Wall Street by Bond9

I have to keep this as neutral as the quality of the scent is very good, as with B#9 frags in general. The cuke and sea kelp just aren't my faves off the top, there is some delight in the musk notes for sure, and some sweetness that is pleasant. However for me, the 'marine notes' and sea kelp really stick around and I swear it's like going down to the dock and sticking my forearm into the sea water. I find that impressively done, only I live by the water myself and could simply dip my arm into sea water for free. I've worn this three times now and respect the quality of this fragrance even though it is not my cup of...sea. If you think the notes are to your liking you may absolutely love this fragrance.
Aug 25, 2020

I'm not sure what this has to do with Wall Street, unless they are referring to the color of money. It's green for sure, like green cucumber melon and seaweed.

I guess Wall Street is near the water in NYC, so maybe that's it. Very much like an aquatic breeze, but not in the sunny, fresh and clean, watery way. More of a cloudy, fishy, busy harbor, watery-breeze way. Another one of those scents that's better smelled in the air than up close.

Performance for me is slightly above average. It's never screaming and doesn't last all day, but it can get noticed and hangs around for 6-7 hours.
Apr 18, 2020

This is another bi-polar Bond (on me). Sometimes (depending on weather), this smells like wet-dog and sea water. Other days, it's absolutely beautiful, aquatic, fresh and invigorating. The longevity is incredible.
Aug 29, 2018

A tangy, masculine, almost-sour green aquatic with musky, citrus zest undertones. Think seaweed and orange peel in the best possible way.

A fascinating fragrance that I initially labelled "avant garde office wear", I am continuously drawn to the scent throughout the day to evaluate its evolution. Sillage and longevity are hard fives here, certainly no need for re-application, but ultimately it is let down by its ozone and marine notes.

In my mind, these notes have a tendency to come off as cheap and inexperienced -- two things that images of Wall Street do not conjure. I know that the physical location of the street justifies their inclusion, but I think perhaps the sea kale and ambergris would have been enough.

If ozone and marine notes float your boat, then consider this composition buoyant! But if you're on the fence regarding synthetic sea life, try before you buy.
Nov 13, 2017

Show more reviews of Wall Street...

Add your review of Wall Street