Vodka on the Rocks

By Kilian
Robertet

Where to buy Vodka on the Rocks

Reviews of Vodka on the Rocks by By Kilian

There are 18 reviews of Vodka on the Rocks by By Kilian.

Kilian Vodka on the Rocks is neither a neutral grain spirit nor a cocktail nor worth $250…discuss.

So again, we are dealing with the element of suggestion in order to create an olfactory image that isn't there…and what better suggestion than something that is typically used as a base on which to build something greater? If you are ordering a vodka on the rocks, you're either an alcoholic or a freak like the rest of us on this website that can smell and taste things that others can't, or could care less about because…less face it…we're kind of weird. To everyone else it just tastes like burning. I don't think I could even say the words if someone asked me what I was wearing.

“Hey there person…you smell really good…what's it called?”

“Uh, non-descript white spirit with some ice floating around in there, maybe a lemon peel with part of the sticker still attached.”

“Mmm, that's hot.”

Kilian could have called it white paper or clean linen or even squeegeed window…same mental imagery mas y menos. And I'm sure people would say, “Oh yes I see where Hennessy's nose was going with this one, I can almost smell the horizontal blue lines on the paper, the perfectly placed three-ring binder holes, pre-determined left hand margins and I'm transported to sophomore year composition."

Get…bent. If I read another review that says it smells like a vodka tonic, I'll vomit Russo-Baltique all over my trapper keeper.

Ok, on to the fragrance…I like it. I like it a lot. It's a crowd pleaser and a wearer pleaser. Its approachable and easy. Compliment getter. Doesn't last long maybe 6 hours tops like an EDT. Smells like what you'd expect from Ambroxan, Sandalwood, Oakmoss and Coriander. Definitely synthetics which I'm not knocking. Super fresh and spice floral out the gate to a super fresh and cool woody vibe towards the end. It's a frag-bro “so fresh and so clean clean.” Smells like a nice designer fragrance in a blue bottle from Dillard's. I don't think it's any more complex than that. There's no secret in the sauce, just a good ol' standup freshy “man” clean scent.

And that's cool, just not $250 cool.
Feb 10, 2021

The opening is a realistic clear liquor for sure, though I actually get a bit more gin from it than I do vodka. Then quickly (and I mean within 15 minutes) a lot of synthetic notes come to the forefront. Aquatics, ambroxes, what have you. This could be an intentional transition, or it could be that the initial vodka impression they've created can only stay stable so long, and as it starts to unravel the synthetics used become more and more apparent.

By the 30 minute mark it's hard to tell this apart from a host of other designer freshies. Is it good for one of those? Yes. But, at nearly $6/ml the comparison is pretty embarrassing. This isn't an awful scent, but ultimately it smells similar to so many things that are a tenth of the price.
Jan 10, 2020

It opens with a strong alcoholic punch that is cool and tonic. I can smell the rose and lily of the valley, but unfortunately they're enveloped in a lot of ambroxan. It goes on the generic faux woody/amber/aquatic releases that pop into the market from everywhere. Poor release, extremely overpriced.
May 14, 2019

I'm truly mixed. Opening is like receiving a tall glass of vodka and tonic on ice - the cool and crisp bubbly bit with some garnish on the rim of the glass. After the dry down it reminds me a bit of 4160 Tuesday's Beta perfume - a bit of something or a bit of nothing depending on how your nose catches the scent. Good longevity that shifts into a marine/aqueous accord, but I can think of at least three other aqueous perfumes with similar notes I'd prefer to wear instead and for half the price.

Great for an office scent for both men and women who want something that won't offend, or only be noticed in the close confines of an elevator, then this is a great choice because it can be barely detectable at times.
Dec 21, 2018

A super realistic opening. Smells just like vodka, ice & tonic. Then drys down to a bit of a generic aqua type scent maybe along the lines of ADG. Doesn't last very long. Totally overpriced.
Dec 3, 2018

Basically, a stronger Acqua di Gio for $300.

It's a study in chemicals - hedione and dihydromercenol for abstract freshness at first, quickly settling into calone, that smell of herbs growing in the salty dunes by a hot beach, eventually drying down to a vaguely melon-ish aquatic aromachemical stew.

This is pretty much exactly what Acqua di Gio does, but amplified.

It's a double-edged sword. AdG gets most of its charm from smelling artfully like a time and place more than a perfume. But by turning up the volume, Vodka On The Rocks clearly smells unabashedly artificial, wearing its chemistry on its sleeve in exchange for better projection, which I just don't personally think is worth it.
Oct 31, 2018

Show more reviews of Vodka on the Rocks...

Add your review of Vodka on the Rocks