Virgin Island Water

About Virgin Island Water by Creed

Creed

Where to buy Virgin Island Water

Reviews of Virgin Island Water by Creed

There are 193 reviews of Virgin Island Water by Creed.

Virgin Island Water is a really good summer outdoor by the water fragrance. The opening is juicy mandarin and lime that invites a powerful coconut and floral body. The florals are jasmine, Ylang, and Hibiscus that are the perfect white summer flower that avoids offense by addition of fresh ginger root. Everything about this combination reminds me of fun in the sun, the ocean and gentle tropical floral breeze. The base is powdered sugar and dry white musk with a hint of rum. It all works really well - the coconut, Ylang/jasmine, lime/mandarin, ginger, sweet powder and cool rum base. A great Island cocktail that is hardly a virgin. Unisex. Creed has the best summer fragrance line-up there is with: Millesime Imperial, Erolfa, Silver Mountain Water, Pure White, Virgin Island Water, Aventus Cologne and Neroli Sauvage. Nothing but superlatives for VIW!
Aug 8, 2021

Amazing how olfactory shorthand works. There’s no pineapple here, but the immediate response registered by the brain is: ‘piña colada’. A straightforward combo of lime, coconut and a touch of booze, Virgin Island Water has the edge over other such tropical-themed freshies. It’s all in the execution: the lime is the perfect green, it’s almost as if the zest were being grated right that instant for your nose’s delectation (at least at the start), the coconut is properly assertive in the Philosykos manner without lapsing into greasiness, and the alcohol? Somehow it too is properly iced and refreshing, reminiscent of a drink on the beach in the shade of a parasol, watching the sun throw diamonds into the water, rather than of drowning one’s sorrows in some grimy boozer. Smoothly blended with sweetness held in check, everything about it gives me the friendliest of yoohoos – apart from the price tag.
Aug 6, 2021

Essentially a coconut and lime tropical vacation in a bottle.

My 2020 sample opens with mostly boozy coconut, and lime which doesn't last at all. Like many Creeds, the batches vary (and I've heard that older bottles are even more coconut dominant)but I'd prefer ane even stronger, longer lasting lime. It's linear but a little booziness pops in and out over a classic Creed base.
Very weak sillage and projection for top and heart notes.

The coconut does resemble 80s sun-tan lotion (as well as my girl's shampoo) which makes it a perfectly unisex fragrance.

8.5/10
Jul 19, 2021

Virgin Island Water(2007)

I had to get a decant of this, it just sounded like an amazing summer scent that I had to try. I was fairly certain I would love it( and I do) but figured I would end up with TommyB St Barts as a cheaper option. As a Silver Mountain Water and Royal Oud fan and owner I didn't need to find another bottle worthy Creed. At all.
Wow. They 'put the lime in the coconut' for the top and it is fantastic. Gorgeous. So natural and well done. I get the 'suntan lotion-y' references but it's way more elevated and elegant and that type of description is way too simplistic and doesn't do justice to this fragrance.
As it melds into the musk/white rum/sugar cane the coconut and bit of lime hang around for surprising longevity. I was impressed at how long this lasts. It is not 'light' nor 'weak'. It exudes class and quality.
Can you bottle the feel of a tropical island vacay? With VIW I say absolutely. Obviously this works as a summer scent. Of course it would work occasionally at home in the depths of winter as a cheer up fragrance. I personally wouldn't have an issue rocking this in a casual office setting but probably not more formal settings.
I did order a full bottle. I couldn't help it. Having smelled VIW first, I loved it so much I knew any cheaper imitations would be so lacking, unless a house like Armaf tackles this i.e. the Club d Nuit line.
Apr 19, 2021

I normally try to avoid superlatives but I would be lying if I didn't say Creed Virgin Island Water (2007) smelled gorgeous. I'm not typically a fan of coconut, or even the "lime/coconut Piña Colada accord" found here in this luxurious ode to tropical getaways, but there is so much else going on here that the smell more often associated with crazy binge drinking than the beach actually works very well within the context of the fragrance itself. The magic with Virgin Island Water is the conglomeration of multiple facets representing indivual sense experiences occuring during a tropical vacation into a nostalgic or allegorical whole, making this feel literally like paradise bottled. Best of all, there are no harsh chemical bases or scratchy anything to be found here in Virgin Island Water, meaning this stays smooth from start to finish. Granted, something this pre-defined and hard-cut in theme may be hard to use outside of summer or casual settings, but I feel like the point of something such as this, especially at the price point, is pure escapism and folly. Some consider this a sequel to Creed Silver Mountain Water (1995), since it denotes a distinct location, and when combined with Creed Erolfa (1992), Creed Millésime Impérial (1995), and Creed Royal Water (1997), creates an unofficial oeuvre of house Creed freshies. Among them all, Virgin Island Water is the most distinctive and unique, not feeling like a genre exercise (aquatic, chypre, et al), nor really being done before quite in such a realistic manner.

The opening notes of lime and coconut come zooming out of the sprayer and onto skin immediately. Bergamot and mandarin help smooth the lime, while the coconut accord is formed both by the essence of the fruit and the copra (dried seeds). The heart is jasmine hedione, with some indole from ylang-ylang, ginger spice, and hibiscus, recalling the Jamaica punch also popular in this region of the world. If you've ever tasted Jamaica punch, you know what this is. Tonkin musk (likely simulated and not from real deer) is mixed with a boozy white rum note, coumarin, ambergris, and what Creed calls a "sugar cane" note. Whether or not this is derived from real sugar cane, it is a clarified sweetness that isn't sticky (like real sugar), so it doesn't cloy or over-pronounce itself like most chemical sweet notes. I catch bits of Iso E Super wood notes here too. Wear time is long and this is deceptively powerful in terms of sillage, likely from the sweetness of coconut, the zing of lime, and the punch of the musk, so don't let the otherwise clean feel of Virgin Island Water fool you into over-applying. I'd use this on weekends, out of the shower, on hot summer days, or anytime you want to take yourself away to another place. Some liken this to the smell of suntan lotion, but I don't get that so much, although I can totally see this coming across like any number of Sun-In hair lightener sprays that used to be popular when I was a kid; they definitely had a variety that smelled close to Virgin Island Water.

Long story short, this stuff is just about the king of tropical/vacation-themed fragrances, is perfecty unisex (although some may argue against that), and unlike many, dodges the bullet of having performance issues or clear chemical edges. A lot of people compare this to Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts (2007), but that scent has way less coconut, more of a white floral heart, less booze, and what is for me an irritating laundry soap note in the base. Like Virgin Island Water, the Tommy Bahama starts off gorgeous, but unlike this Creed, it doesn't exactly stay gorgeous, and you find yourself at the laundromat dreaming of Tahiti instead of feeling like you're there. Now there is no avoiding the massive price tag Creed likes to charge, complete with dubious historical pedigrees, claims of ancient esoteric perfume methods, all-natural ingredients, and other unprovable hubris, but none of that is a dealbreaker when you catch a bottle on discount for about the price of your typical Tom Ford at retail. For those who care, the oldest "firehouse sprayer" batches had a blue cap with silver crest, then a gray cap with a blue crest was used, then finally a standard silver cap became the norm on all bottle sizes. When the price is right, Creed Virgin Island Water is one little piece of frivolity I can get behind. If you're a fan of fresh summery smells, you absolutely need to catch a sample of this, if not an actual bottle when they occasionally pop up online at a tolerable price. Thumbs up.
May 19, 2020

Wow. Mistersurgery’s review is pretty bang on, but I thought I’d add my two cents because this is a truly impressive creation.

Part of a recent sample selection I received from a Creed boutique purchase and just... wow.

Okay. The depth in VIW comes from its simplicity. Lime and coconut powerhouse with rum weaving in and out. Eerily reminiscent of late 80s/early 90s tanning lotion (which evokes powerful scent memories of some incredibly beautiful women from my youth). You can kind of just pick out the Ylang Ylang and Jasmine from the coconut in the dry down, but only very faintly... and not to the point you’d care beyond the calming effect.

The lime is eerily natural most of the way through and only noticeably synthetic for a fraction of its projection... everything else is simple, but picture perfect in its execution.

It won’t form a part of my collection unless I become an overnight millionaire. But if I had the ducats to spare, the sheer whimsy of this would convince me to keep a bottle on the shelf. Thumbs up, with the caveat you know what you’re buying and why.
Nov 7, 2019

Show more reviews of Virgin Island Water...

Add your review of Virgin Island Water