Vent Vert (original)

About Vent Vert (original) by Pierre Balmain

Pierre Balmain

Vent Vert (original) is a women's perfume launched in 1947 by Pierre Balmain

Reviews of Vent Vert (original) by Pierre Balmain

There are 21 reviews of Vent Vert (original) by Pierre Balmain.

20-odd pyramid notes buttress the jolly green galbanum with depth and complexity.

Anything that tries to *fight* the green—Hulk smash.

You go, big guy.

Extraordinary! The most perfect green scent l've ever experienced. The galbanum is present front and center but completely avoids any stridency that often accompanies it. The blending is superb and it's hard for me to separate notes, listed here it makes sense, so many, so well agenced for a wheightless, fresh and yet substantial scent.
Truly a delight!

Vintage edt

A spring evening, fresh-mown grass by a garden. It is a cool evening, because it has just rained. Vent Vert. I love, love, love this (I have the original vintage - square bottle and box as pictured in BN). Alas, it does not seem to last on me, which I blame on my perfume-eating skin, not VV. I also adore Chanel 19, which is similar to VV, but more floral and oak mossy. It is a masterpiece of perfumery. Thumbs way up!

It may not have been the first green fragrance but there can't be many greener than Vent Vert.
Green is front and centre with an overdose of galbanum at 8%. But there's more to it than just green: citrus and herbal notes, and then earthy tones come through with rooty, mushroom and barnyard accents.
The heart is a bouquet of rose-like muguet and several other flowers, and considering it's wrapped in dry notes like galbanum and woods, the whole profile is actually quite bouyant. Not as floaty as a late Jean-Claude Ellena, but it has - as the name suggests - a certain breezy quality (breezy for 1947 that is). The effect is like a dry scirocco wind blowing pink and yellow clouds through a green landscape.
Given its technical limits, Vent Vert has good poise and a solid structure, and even late on - when it approaches the dried flowers stage - it remains vibrant.
The drydown avoids becoming too desiccated, with moss and a varnish-like overlay from those excellent old musks they used to have. And the base doesn't get too strong either, the pink floral and green (and citrus!) themes remain to the fore until late in the day.
Vent Vert is a bit in the style of Emeraude (1921) but Germaine Cellier cut this, her own green gem, in her own particular way; and it's still one of the best.

I have a small vintage bottle which I acquired sealed in box. I love the smell, much more smooth and herbal than the modern version, but I react horribly and cannot wear it. My skin looks bruised wherever this perfume touches me. Most likely it is the galbanum. It smells lovely in the bottle though.

I get a powerful cut-weeds/grass greenery and beautiful flowers. Hyacinth, Jasmine, Gardenia, (I don't smell rose). A beautifully complex fragrance.

Show more reviews of Vent Vert (original)...

Add your review of Vent Vert (original)