Thé Noir 29

About Thé Noir 29 by Le Labo

Le Labo
Frank Voelkl

Le Labo say:

Thé Noir 29 is an ode to the noble leaf and the craft that surrounds it. Thé Noir 29 combines depth and freshness, softness and strength through permanent oscillation between the light of bergamot, fig and bay leaves and the depth of cedar wood, vetiver and musk. A special extraction of black tea leaves wraps up the composition by bringing to the formula a dry, leafy, hay, tobacco feeling in the dry down to transform this creation into a sensuous and addictive essence.

Reviews of Thé Noir 29 by Le Labo

There are 16 reviews of Thé Noir 29 by Le Labo.

Does anyone know of an actual tea that tastes how Thé Noir smells? I'd drink that.
A beautiful fig fragrance that will forever remind me of my honeymoon when we bought a bottle together. Our first niche bottle too; the beginning of a dangerously expensive hobby... whoops!
Jul 2, 2021

TLDR: Good (3/5). Nice fruity gourmand that is approachable and enjoyable.

The Noir 29 is easy to like. That simple sentiment is something that is hard to say about the vast majority of Le Labo products, which are often challenging, but also rewarding for those who accept the challenge.

Apart from easy approachability, this fragrance has the usual Le Labo traits. Well blended? Check. expensive for what it is? Check. Doesn't smell like the name on the label? Check. At this point, Le Labo fragrance names have all of the meaning and trustworthiness of a politician's speech. So sampling before buying is essential.

So what you end up with if after sampling you choose to acquire The Noir 29 is a gourmand fragrance with considerable spiced fig accented with some grassy green notes (hay and vetiver) and a base of musky tobacco. The advertised black tea ("The Noir" is "black tea" in French) plays a bit part here. This is really not a tea scent. It also has very minimal progression from opening through the end of the scent's duration.

I use this scent in cooler weather, where it's warm & fruity spiciness is most appreciated. There is, however, nothing to make this fragrance inappropriate for summer months, especially in less hot climates than those in which I usually find myself.

Like all of the Le Labo fragrances I own, the projection of this scent is average and the longevity is just about enough to last through an 8 hour day in a climate controlled environment. Packaging is nice enough in a self-consciously hip way and the atomizer is high quality.

Of course the rating here is thumbs up. This fragrance is easy to like.
Mar 30, 2021

Fragrance in three words: Intoxicating Fruity Fig

I was in the middle on this one, but I've decided a thumbs up is the way to go as I think there is something unique and intoxicating about it.

It wasn't what I expected. I was hoping for a big black tea heavy note like Gucci pour Homme II (2007) or Black by Bulgari (1998). The tea note in Thé Noir 29 is very subtle almost an afterthought, despite its name. You get a massive fruity fig note which dominates. Drydown to me is musty woods.

Price in the UK is £130 for 50ml or £189 for 100ml (in 2020), which makes it about on par with Byredo.

For me it isn't bottle worthy, but I would score it 7 out of 10.

Official 0.7ml Sample Vial
Nov 6, 2020

Looking at the profile and notes of TN29 I knew instantly that it was for me. I'm a giant fan of fresh/spicy/gourmand/ozonic/balsamic (I know,I know) frags so rather than waste my money on yet another beautiful dud that lasts 4 seconds on my skin (I'm looking at you, Santal Royal/Oud & Bergamot/Terre d'Hermes) I thought I'd get a decant off eBay. Which, by the way, was everything I was hoping for: lush, juicy fig, a breezy but definite tea note, incensey, warm but exhilarating. And it lasted hours and hours and I knew I'd found my new signature as Royal Oud is proving too expensive a habit.
Fast forward to ordering a full bottle. Even as I opened the stopper my heart sank. It smelled thin, watery and stank of disappointment. It lasted all of 15 minutes on me. I sold the bottle on eBay a few days later. So my question is this: was the decant from the 2016 bottle 'off' or had it matured beautifully? Should I have waited three years for my bottle to develop?! Or am I anosmic to all the scents i love? So infuriating.
Jun 18, 2019

The Noir 29 is a remarkably polished and alluring blend of fig, tea and an accord that hints at a dry, dark rose. It starts off with a citrus laced accord of fig and black tea, airy and radiant. There is a hint of rose, and I perceive minimal musks; I don't detect any hay or tobacco. It's translucent but persistent; I smell a lot of synthetic woods in the dry down. There is a passing hint at Cartier's Declaration d'Un Soir, but The Noir 29 has more dimensions. It has an unusual freshness, is quite clean and crisp, and has surprising sillage with good duration, based on a moderate application. It is dressy, and perhaps more suitable in cooler weather.

I loved The Noir 29 the first time I wore it, but thereafter realised a problem; the perfume is too sharp for me because of the synthetic notes, especially what I perceive to be woody-ambers (even though I don't find it ambery). This is even more surprising since I love and wear a fair number of perfumes that are too sharp/synthetic for many, such as Portrait of a Lady and the aforementioned Declaration d'Un Soir. The sillage of The Noir 29 is very elegant on someone else, and this is definitely complimented upon by others, based on personal experience. However, it becomes too jarring for me when I wear it; which is a little sad, since I like the scent.

Mar 21, 2019

Show more reviews of Thé Noir 29...

Add your review of Thé Noir 29