Neutral Reviews of The Dark Heart of Old Havana

Overall

The Dark Heart of Old Havana by 4160 Tuesdays

Add your review of The Dark Heart of Old Havana

Reviews of The Dark Heart of Old Havana by 4160 Tuesdays

4160 Tuesdays The Dark Heart of Old Havana is a curious mix, one that certainly sounds appetizing its note listing, but not one of Sarah's best executions, at least to my nose, as far as sweet fragrances go.

Fruits, sugar, tobacco, vanilla, pepper, tonka, jasmine, and musk should, in principle, create a very sweet, perhaps slightly spicy tobacco scent, but I tend to agree with many reviewers that it's in the fruit mix, particularly during the opening, that I get a bit lost.

In fairness, the dry down is much more pleasant, the fruits more in harmony with tobacco and vanilla/sugar/tonka trio, but the opening is challenging to the point of being prohibitive, at least for me.

Sadly, probably the worst offering I've tried to date from 4160 Tuesdays, but that's only because I've loved and bought so many of Sarah's offerings that the bar is set very high.

6 out of 10

Is this what the communist capital of the Caribbean smelled like, pre-Fidel? Probably not even close, but TDHoH is a pretty nice gourmand tobacco, amber and sugary vanilla that may conjure what life may have been. This is a big, sweet fragrance that needs some restraint and a gentle touch to wear without causing a revolution. The tobacco and jasmine notes that appear in the heart are rich as a greedy capitalist pig. Just not much occasion for me to wear a fragrance like this, but if you spend your weekend mornings with a newspaper, espresso and cigar while lounging in a cabana, it's perfect. Neutral, but deserving of better.

This Dark Heart is really bright and warm to me. In fact, it smells like a high quality scented candle, particularly the type released by Yankee Candle or similar outfits around Christmas time, that are vaguely ambery and sort of smell like all of the store's wares combined. It is a big, muddled mess but is really quite pleasant in spite of that. Not for me personally, but if you like the idea of smelling like a bowl of freshly sliced fruit salad placed next to a creamy, sugary hot coffee and an unlit Cuban cigar then this scent will bowl you over.

A psychotically sweet syrupy citrus scent. There's little in the way of tobacco, but I detect a generous serving of a pencil eraser note that's as weirdly pleasing as the pencil eraser note in Tokyo Milk's Dead Sexy (it's a kind of wood that's doing this – mahogany?). I could see this scent working as a comfort scent because it's big and fuzzy, but I'm not sure it'd be polite to wear it in close proximity to others as I imagine it'd cause headaches. Fun, playful, perhaps not the most believable perfume as far as an environment goes (not that I've been to Havana, but I can't imagine anywhere smells this sweet) – it's certainly not unpleasant, but you'll need to have your dentist on speed dial if you're going to wear this one often.