The Alchemist's Garden : The Voice of the Snake Eau de Parfum
Gucci (2019)

Overall

About The Alchemist's Garden : The Voice of the Snake Eau de Parfum by Gucci

Gucci

Reviews of The Alchemist's Garden : The Voice of the Snake Eau de Parfum by Gucci

A rather complex mix of concepts melting together to simulate oud. There's a Tuscan Leather component (sweet quinoline leather) and a saffron rose component, as well as an iso e super/pine/incense component.

All of this mixes together to smell like something that would be sold as an oud perfume, without actually smelling like oud.

Pocketvenus definitely has a point calling this redundant, though I would argue that the careful incorporation of so many elements lifts Voice Of The Snake above many of its peers, even if it's years too late to make the impression it could have made a decade ago.
May 12, 2021

I am disappointed by this fragrance. The vaguely medicinal, slightly smoky oud is so tamed and muted that it gets lost soon after application and the Voice Of The Snake becomes a light patchouli scent with some saffron and oud accent notes.

The scent is by no means unpleasant, but it is very simplistic and ultimately quite ordinary. If the snake in the garden had used this voice, we'd all still be in Eden. This fragrance isn't tempting.

At this point, it seems fair to raise the issue of price, which is rather high. Of course, the bottle is very nice, the atomizer is definitely high end and the rest of the presentation is very much in keeping with the $300+ price tag. However, this fact makes the insipid, linear juice and it's uninteresting scent a very big let down, indeed.

Therefore, what might be a cautious thumbs up at a lower price point becomes a very tepid netural. I wish I had not bothered. When I saw a tester on a discount site, I impulsively grabbed it hoping that I had scored a bargain. Another blind buy mistake.

In the end, the scent was so underwhelming that I thought perhaps I'd got a fake. I stopped in the local Gucci boutique and tried it there. Sadly, my bottle is genuine.

I suspect this one will end up on the discount sites eventually. If it gets cheap enough, perhaps it is worth a try for folks who enjoy neutered Western oud scents.

Rating: OK (2.5/5).
Feb 19, 2021

Redundant oud

The Voice of the Snake is an easy, polished, Westernized oud with a hint gentle pungency. Smooth and not very long lasting, I was immediately reminded of a Kilian. Then I learned that the nose is Morillas who did a number of fragrances for Kilian. The voice of the snake it seems, has nothing new to say.
Jul 2, 2019

Show more reviews of The Alchemist's Garden : The Voice of the Snake Eau de Parfum...

Add your review of The Alchemist's Garden : The Voice of the Snake Eau de Parfum