The Afternoon of a Faun
Etat Libre d'Orange (2012)

Overall

The Afternoon of a Faun by Etat Libre d'Orange

About The Afternoon of a Faun by Etat Libre d'Orange

Etat Libre d'Orange
Ralf Schwieger
Mane

The Afternoon of a Faun is a shared scent launched in 2012 by Etat Libre d'Orange

Where to buy The Afternoon of a Faun

Reviews of The Afternoon of a Faun by Etat Libre d'Orange

There are 21 reviews of The Afternoon of a Faun by Etat Libre d'Orange.

Last time I wore The Afternoon of a Faun, I was inspired by the name and the series of correspondences it leads to (the poem by Mallarmé, the ballet, Nietzsche’s Apollo and Dionysus – which could be characterised as the gods of respectable and rough culture) and I ended up writing some 300 words about the artistic place and significance of Ralf Schwieger’s perfume for ELdO. The essay ended with a translation of Baudelaire:

There are perfumes fresh like the skin of a child
Sweet like an oboe, green as a field.
Others; corrupted, heady and wild

Having the size of infinite things
of musk and amber ...
benjoin, incense :
They sing of the transport
of Spirit and Sense

But in fact, all that is completely irrelevant, and you might be better off taking The Afternoon of a Faun at face value.

You can appreciate its resiny, green, dried-fruitiness without knowing it’s supposed to be a piece of mythic naturalism - like an oil painting of Pan in Arcadia.

And so, instead of a half man - half goat in a warm glade, daydreaming about nymphs ... when I allowed my imagination to roam wild, it came up with the wildly unkempt garden of the Old Village Sweet Shop, where a wreckage of sherbet and gob-stopppers lie sprawled among branches, leather and dead roses: the aftermath of a sugar frenzied Bacchanalia.

I love the scent of immortelle: the dried flowers and the solvent-extracted absolute, warm and herbaceous, almost idyllic in nature. It reminds me of wildflowers under the sun, dry, baked, with the smell of the soil beneath them coming through. The first fragrance I encountered the features the note is a true love of mine, Annick Goutal Sables, which is pretty much an immortelle soliflore that really brings out the fenugreek and maple aspects of the note. Then there is Histoires de Parfums 1740, immortelle via leather, really dark and delicious.

Afternoon of a Faun is a bright autumn sun of a scent: immortelle with radiant aldehydes; bold, resinous, almost pungent myrrh, and a large tuft of oakmoss and florals. Immortelle is in itself a gregarious note, so there is truly art in motion here, to be able to have this altogether is nothing short of perfumery genius.

I am also struck by its mercurial nature: at certain points in its development, the rose and orris overshadow the immortelle and resins, then they recede, and return, a choreographic exchange with the moss weaving in and out, the myrrh asserting its dominance and then yielding. It's really a thrilling and positively enjoyable wear because there is a bit more suspense than usual, at least as it all dances on my skin and in my space. Afternoon of a Faun is olfactory seduction.

Sweet and floral, but also strong on the resins. Androgynous, but leaning a little male in my opinion, despite the sweetness. The benzoene balances it.

So I've worn this again and it starts quite appealing, but can become unpleasant after a time. Sweet and resinous, but also kind of linear? Very interesting, but probably not FB worthy for me.

Marcelle Lender Dancing the Bolero in "Chilpéric" by Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec

A rather strange, oddly and disturbingly old-fashioned conconction. I like immortelle in the fantastic Dior Eau Noire, but here it doesn't work for me. The combination of iris and immortelle with leather overtones smells like what might be left on a bed after the tryst of a dowager and a male escort.

This smells very strange. Like an old lady's perfume. Turns out I am not a fan of immortelle at all.

Show more reviews of The Afternoon of a Faun...

Add your review of The Afternoon of a Faun

Carboytony Chetopa Bo Darville Mathilde bogsc More

Members who own The Afternoon of a Faun

Theholyfilament Andy the frenchy TLS Melbourne Man Brother Medard al d. hyde Wit_Siamese Persolaise ClaireV MonsieurApollon Franco65 Furriner the non blonde More