Tempo

About Tempo by Diptyque

Diptyque
Givaudan

Reviews of Tempo by Diptyque

There are 10 reviews of Tempo by Diptyque.

The opening blast is bright and cheery, with bergamot and a violet-leaf-impression greeting me right from the start.

This friendly greeting leads over into the drydown soon, with a green slat appearing, which starts off a bit herbal; clary sage and whiffs of fresh grass are noticeable at this stage. Soon a fresh mate impression arises, but in never really moves into the foreground on me.

Then the main player makes its appearance, a bright and mildly crisp patchouli impression, which is probably the most important in the olfactory creation overall. Towards the end touches of white pepper arise, and whilst the intensity of the overall mix weakens with time, at the end the pepper, accompanied by a dusty and earthy-woodsy undertone constitute the final impressions the prevail on me.

I get moderate sillage, very good projection, and ten hours of longevity on my skin.

This spring scent is nice and pleasant, with few original touches that, however, are not particularly titillating. Still, it is crafted quite well, not too generic, and overall a good experience. 3/5
Aug 24, 2021

Tempo is a mature patchouli kept warm by mate and kept modern by a screaming pink-pepper-reinforced violet leaf that -- unfortunately because it's my favorite note in the composition -- is much more prevalent on paper than my skin.

The frag is unlike anything else I've smelled while the bergamot, violet, and pepper are around. Too bad they aren't around longer. At that point what is left is a patch/powder that is familiar but not a retread -- mature but not old. Unique, but not quite special. Right before the end, the powder clarifies into a warm lavender that rides into the sunset.

It's a perfectly nice patch that defies convention just enough to be an entertaining wear as well as eschew whatever associations patchouli brings immediately to mind.
Sep 17, 2020

Tempo, to me, is a mature, dusty, aromatic, spicy scent that stars patchouli, but not in a screaming way. Once you get past the busy opening (tea, bergamot, violet), this has a warm, comforting feel in the drydown. Too mature for me because of the patch but not a bad scent, not at all.

These mature smells don't feel good in high heat so Tempo seems best for cooler weather. Also, more dressed up than casual.

Performance is good, decent projection and longevity in the 7-8 hours range.

Apr 13, 2020

I really like this. It's got a slug of mate, which is a tea-lover's dream note, smelling of sweet, dried leaves. Also good nature-lovers, it has a dose of clary sage which imparts a clean, minty aroma. Violet leaf accents the green aspects of the patchouli. Pink pepper opens it up with a spicy airiness.

One would expect something nose-searing and dry, but no. Somehow, it manages to sweeten on the skin. How is that so?

I suspect the trick is to use patchouli isolates, in which the heavy, smoky, dirt and wood fractions are removed. Then they blend, blend, blend with complementary, lighter, fresher notes to achieve a phantom sweetness. Bravo, Tempo!

After I came to terms with the fact that many, many people detest patchouli, I gave up wearing the woody patchouli bomb of Santa Maria Novella Patchouli. But what then? It's hard to add sweetness to this note without going wrong. Vanilla can be too edible, too nauseating. Fruitchouli can, and does, annoy me very soon and very completely. I loved Coromandel until the EDP reformulation.

In Tempo, I've found a natural, honest patchouli that is stretched out over a framework of outdoorsy notes. It's discreet enough to wear in public. My sample did not project very far on my skin, but it was detectable for a long time. I will have to find a new bottle to evaluate its strength.
May 3, 2019

Diptyque pulls a clever trick with Tempo – they take a head-whirling patchouli creation, all hippie flares and caked make-up and dial it down so it becomes something a bit sophisticated rather than just a throwback. So, the first thing to note about Tempo is its well-judged sillage – you're unlikely to have the person next to you run for cover, gasping for breath, a reaction some patchoulis can provoke.
And then there's the bouquet – this is a unashamedly ‘perfumey' patchouli. By perfumey, I mean it isn't just ‘Ah, patch – tick!', but seems to have an orchestra of floral elements, soap bubbles and fatty litpsticky notes surging within it. Patchouli lovers will feel shortchanged on the earthier, sultry and dark aspects, which are missing here. The herbal zing of sage brings a touch of ‘gents cologne' freshness to the mix and the accent of dusty bitterness from the mate provides moderate intrigue.
Tempo's essentially temperate nature is perhaps a drawback for thrill seekers, but here is a well put together patchouli suitable for everyday wear which is likely what Diptyque were after.
Apr 9, 2019

Love this! I grew up in Notting Hill and lived a 2 minute walk from Portobello market...my memories back then are walking through the market smelling a heady, dirty smell that was Patchouli...it was a lot danker and pungent than Tempo, and my quest for this goes on, but in the meantime Tempo is a great everyday fragrance for me. Great fresh opening and not as ‘skanky' as I've heard from others. To paraphrase Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds track Holy Mountain, “...she smelled like 1969.”
Jan 17, 2019

Show more reviews of Tempo...

Add your review of Tempo