Reviews of Tea Rose Eau de Toilette

Overall

Tea Rose Eau de Toilette by Perfumer's Workshop

Add your review of Tea Rose Eau de Toilette

Reviews of Tea Rose Eau de Toilette by Perfumer's Workshop

There are 42 reviews of Tea Rose Eau de Toilette by Perfumer's Workshop.

What a steal! At first spray, I thought I was spraying on a rose water toner. It was refreshing, watery, natural and smelled exactly like an English rose. I can't believe it smells this natural for the price. It's pretty much just rose. There's a bit of bergamot to lighten it up, but it's rose dominant. It's not a sour, oudy, overly sweet, or a citrusy rose. It's just a clean, airy, natural English rose.

Your perception of a rose may be influenced by other rose fragrances. Forget about those and just imagine yourself smelling a bouquet of roses. That's pretty much what you're getting from this fragrance. Don't expect a secondary or complementary note. If you love roses, this is blind-buy worthy considering the price. Don't expect something complex because this is a linear fragrance.

Performance is moderate, but it's great for this genre of fragrance. I can't believe I didn't get this sooner. I'm a big fan of green fragrances, so this was a must-try for me.

I don't know why I do this to myself. I knew exactly what this was going to be like, and yet still ordered a small bottle "just to see". If one's reference for "rose" is the rose-shaped soaps in elderly ladies' bathrooms (do those even still exist?) then yes, this a very realistic rose. A horrid, permeating and somehow twee aroma; a single spray onto a bit of card is now cursing my entire space, plus the ends of my fingers, where a thorough wash has failed to remove a bit of overspray. The only positive to this experience is that I don't seem to be allergic/reactive to whatever comprises this thing.

Thank you for the reviews of this, it is reason I purchased it. I LOVE it & my husband loves it, he said I smelled like a bar of my Camay soap :-) To me it smells like a cross between a Damask Rose & the Hybrid Tea Rose named " Fragrant Cloud " I have only ever grown very fragrant roses in my home & outside, so that is my reference point. This is a representation of a true rose smell, in other words, I do not smell, musk, incense, vanilla, nor amber. It is very similar to the original Crabtree and Evelyn perfume named Evelyn, or maybe it was called Evelyn Rose, which I had & loved & it is no longer made, except for the lotion)
Reasons I LOVE it.
1)smells like fresh roses
2)great for layering with other scents
3)embarrassingly affordable (rose oil is terribly expensive, so great for me that they've mixed enough fragrances to make a rose smell)
4)because it's affordable, go ahead, spray a tad in the shower before you step in, it'll smell like a spa! spritz your pillowcases too!
5)it does NOT smell like diaper powder, which is what I smell (& I associate with dirty diapers) when I have smelled many other rose fragrances

Perfumer's Workshop has an interesting history, as does this, their debut mass-market fragrance. Donald and Gun Bauchner formed a husband and wife team which offered the concept of a department store counter that sold bespoke fragrances custom-blended from essential oils right there on-site at affordable department store prices, and The Perfumer's Workshop Ltd. was created. Simple packaging and a removal of the snobby, unapproachable decorum that was usually associated with high-end luxury products was part of the merging between upmarket and downmarket concepts that The Perfumer's Workshop pushed, but by the late 70's, they had shifted into a more traditional perfume house offering premade designs mass-produced for better distribution. Tea Rose was first offered at The Perfumer's Workshop counters in 1972, as a premade eau de toilette blend of their available oils, but relaunched in 1977 when the bespoke blending on demand went away. Simply put, Tea Rose is an attempt at an accurate recreation of the tea rose, not just the rose flower itself, but the entire plant. This scent isn't a soliflore exactly for that reason, and has a few supporting players to replicate the dewy opening of smelling the flower, leafy green of it's body, and a touch of woodsy afterglow to anchor it on skin. Tea Rose isn't perfect, but quite extraordinary at what it does, offering niche artistry and quality at drugstore or designer prices depending on concentration.

The first thing that comes to mind when smelling Tea Rose is just how green and fresh the opening is, instantly recalling Chanel No 19 (1971) or Aromatics Elixir (1971). Tea Rose was so hot on the heels of these green floral chypres that it's almost frightening, as this stuff sold for pennies on the dollar in comparison, but despite it's "common" market placement, was a huge success adored by important people like the late Princess Diana. Tea Rose doesn't have the bite of those aforementioned green florals however, moving from bergamot right into the rose like POW on your nose, getting right to business. Lily and tuberose soften and brighten this further, but it's not enough to totally destroy any unisex appeal the scent has (despite ostensibly being marketed just to women by the label), until the dry base arrives. The galbanum is less severe in Tea Rose than a lot of stuff like this from the period, being just enough to give the nose that rose bush vibe without being grassy. There's a lot of painfully precise balancing here that again, recalls the level of artistry found in modern niche, yet this was created initially by the Bauchners, who presumably were NOT master perfumers! A happy accident? I think so. Sandalwood, amber, cedar, and of course rosewood gives this the dry brisk finish it needs to stay with you, and that's it! Since this stuff was literally compiled from headshop-grade essential oils at first, there isn't a lot of wiggleroom for chemical pork, and is basically champagne taste made with beer budget ingredients.

A person wearing Tea Rose ends up fooling everyone that thinks they're wearing one of many modern niche rose parfums (which happened to me), except to the trained nose which can detect that it's obviously lacking an oud note and made with an old-school bergamot top in place of more-exotic yuzu or pomelo found in some modern takes. All Tea Rose needed to be outright masculine is a civet note, ànd the lack of any significantly rich amber or oakmoss (although oakmoss is there for fixative) is what keeps this from dating itself as an "old lady rose". After almost 50 years, Tea Rose still comes across fresh and contemporary for any lover of a nice green rose - man, woman, or anyone. I'd recommend sticking with the eau de toilette because it's greener and more universal in appeal, as the newer eau de parfum leans too plush and towards the flower itself for most CIS guys, plus can be rather stifling in a closed room. Fresh, green, dry, and vibrant rose is what you get all day, and there is no preferred context for wear as you either like rose or you don't, but fans of the above mentioned, or any of the drier more citrus-heavy Mancera or Montale rose scents should take note of Tea Rose's uncanny accuracy at it's price point. Again, this isn't a soliflore, or something richer or more complex like Portrait of a Lady (2008), but sits in that middle ground of "authentic rose with artistic flair", with a lovely green feel that makes any time of year feel like spring time. Besides, the stuff is so inexpensive for it's quality that even if you disagree with my summary, you can't bring yourself to hate it. An essential rose that every lover of the flower must try.

The first thing that made me an impression was the very intense yellow colour and the almost oily viscosity of the perfume. The colour resembles very well the chamomile tee the smell of which is well recognisable for at least a couple of hours next to the rose.
As i was in the third hour of wearing this, two of my assistants (two ladies between 55 and 60 years of age) who were standing not far away from me started to discuss vociferous about an annoying rose smell that filled the space. Especially one of them was saying that this smell was horrendous and was trying to identify the trail looking around in different places where i have been before and have left a trail. Of course i knew they were discussing about my perfume but it never crossed their minds that i was the "centre of the evil".
Obviously the trail i have left behind me was so intense that they came to the conclusion that this must be some kind of an air freshener that is pumped into the building over the air condition making their lives miserable. A third lady which came along shortly after that had exactly the same reaction.
Boy i was glad they didn't realise it was me making them sick.
The next thing i did was to find a sink and repetitively wash my arms (where i have placed the perfume) till the perfume was not detectable any more.
I personally didn't find the perfume to be repugnant but i have to admit that it did smell like some kind of air freshener that is sold in the super markets for 2,99 Euros.
I can not comment on the evolution of the perfume but i really liked the colour. The sillage was obviously of colossal proportions.

Because of the reactions

P.S
With so many negative reactions i will certainly won't ever touch this thing again

Stardate 20170309:

A great rose that can be had for cheap. It should be in everyone's wardrobe.
This one has survived reformulation and goes for $10 for 120ml. A perfumery miracle if there was one.

It's a great rose scent, if I liked rose fragrances. Total soliflore to my nose. But for what it is, it hit the nail on the head.

Pure Rosebush...

This may seem like a simple fragrance, but it's stunning and beautiful in it's simplicity. A very realistic rose perfume with a super accurate rose note. With this one I get the green leaves, as well as the dewy petals in the morning sun. Absolutely gorgeous. This is a perfume which is not trying to do anything else other than capture the essence, the experience of smelling a rose bush in full bloom. Not an oriental rose with amber or labdanum or vanilla etc... but instead letting the flower speak for itself, with no pretensions.

A completely authentic smelling rose fragrance, and for the money, perhaps one of the best on the market. If you are a rose lover, hands down this should be one to own or at least try. Perfect quality for the price. I'm highly impressed.

I remember when this came out, Selfridges reeked! Its launch coincided with the first time that people from various Middle Eastern countries visited Europe, and especially the UK. All the Arab men went wild over Tea Rose. I did too. This was the first fragrance, designed for women (apparently) that I bought and wore. I loved it then, I love it now. A fantastic Rose, superficially simple, but hiding a wonderful complexity.

Yikes. Even in some future society where roses no longer exist - nor humans to verify what they once smelled like- this would be a poor example of their scent. It is like mistaking a robot- with flashing lights for eyes and metal sides for skin- with a living human being.

It is completely artificial smelling, harsh, aggressive and persistent. It could be used sparingly to freshen homes that have been hit by flood waters and then subsequent mold infestations.

It has an initial attack that never subsides and is about as charming and natural as plastic Santa decorations on the roof in July.

"Wow! What IS that?" asked my boss yesterday, "I feel like I'm in a garden, not just a garden but in the early morning, covered in dew." So speaks the man of very little words. The only other frag he's ever complimented me on is Madonna Truth or Dare. And there maybe lies the rub. The "possible over look because it's cheap and I don't do cheap" conundrum.
I wear a lot of frags to work, mostly niche or niche-ish. Some strong, some not so. But this one (like my slightly embarrassing celeb frag by Madonna) always garners compliments.
Yes, it's a little obvious; no, it's not complicated. But it is fresh and clean and extremely feminine, and for £15 on eBay from a reputable perfume dealer, you really can't go wrong. It's excellent for layering, especially over incense frags and musks.
I used to keep it as a reference frag - it really is an extraordinarily cheap rose soliflore, exceptionally well done for the price (Rose Absolute by Annick Goutal is my other rose touchstone but at five times the price and half the sillage and longevity). And more recently as I begin to wear it regularly I'm starting to realise it's worth a little more than that. At the very least spritz it in your bath or on linens for a clean, full on rose uplift.

Self-flagellation in a bottle. I'm revisiting Tea Rose after trying it many years ago. It was that type of rose that had a really vile artificial metallic reaction on my skin. I recognized it as soon as I put it on. This one is beyond unwearable.
When this first came out, there were several rose fragrances that used this same artificial rose, and they were all nose-searing. I haven't had a reaction to a rose fragrance like this in a long time. I assume rose recreations now use different aroma chemicals. If so, they are much, much better now. I occasionally come across a rose that smells synthetic and unpleasant, but not like Tea Rose.

This fragrance smells just like fresh roses. Period! Not to mention the price is only around $10.00. Really like this one. If you want a hec of a rose scent, get this one!

I have always loved Tea Rose by Perfumer's Workshop. It has long been one of my signature scents and will always be in my scent wardrobe rotation.

There are a number of other scents listed in the scent pyramid for Tea Rose, but the overall impression one is left with is simply a fresh cut tea rose from a garden still awash with morning dew or just after a rain. Just a hint of fresh "greenness" underlying the fabulous rose, just enough of it, in fact, to make it a more believable rose than many who have tried to imitate the real thing. :-) To me, it smells more "real" than pure rose oils that I have tried, perhaps due to that touch of fresh greenness underlying it.

It's fabulous sprayed into the bath, onto bed linens or towels, in your closet, or as a room spray, in addition to being able to be worn on skin or clothing. It's best used by spraying into the air and walking into the scent, rather than spraying it directly onto the skin. It's a fragrance to "waft", rather than one to wallow in. :-)

My mom always associates it with old age, but many view it as a very youthful scent, indeed. My husband things of it as "my" fragrance and requests I wear it whenever we go out or if he's given a choice between scents. I think it is simply timeless, and will forever be a treasured fragrance for me.

It's a rose soliflore. It's incredibly rose-smelling and amazingly doesn't smell plastic for such a cheap perfume.

However, on me it doesn't last. If I spray it on my clothes or hair, I can still smell it at the end of the day but on my skin in an hour. It's INCREDIBLY powerful when you first spray it on, but then it just--goes.

I love it, and wear it when I want to feel unabashedly feminine, but I wouldn't bother at all if it wasn't so cheap. I want decent longevity.

Rose. Yep. Nothing to add to the other reviews. I, too layer it, especially to "fem up" a masculine such as Yatagan or Weil's Kipling. I also like to spritz some into the bath.

So Simple...So Lovely My wife's favorite fragrance, and my favorite on her too. The rose is simple and straightforward. They thankfully didn't play with this one too much. Classic fragrance that is wonderfully inexpensive. Well worth a blind buy!Pros: Pure RoseCons: None

Although this frag can definitely stand on it's own (if you love rose scent - it smells exactly like roses) I mostly use it as a layer with other scents. I like to spray on different scents worn at the same time, of course I not do this with all frags, but it does give me more options!

Pure rose. Period. I note a review talking about its' pyramid but the beauty of the perfume is its' simple, linear yet intensely fragrant smell of rose.

A perfect tribute to the king of flowers from the house of the Perfumers workshop.

Excellent. Casting aside all snob, this fragrance is beautiful. It actually reminds me of one of my absolute favorite fragrances, Amouage's Lyric Man. Of course, there's the top-heavy Rose, but also the unique spicy incense that hints at an exotic, Eastern Asian origin, though maybe a little bit sweeter. An absolute unisex beauty in my book.

So, you think you like rose fragrances? You can't call yourself a fan of rose until you try Tea Rose. This one perfume is the litmus test.

Smelled up close, or sprayed too liberally, it smells crass and cheap. One or two spritzes on your chest and wrists, and you're graced with probably the most ethereal, transparent, soft and lovely rose fragrances ever made. I love how linear it is, because it smells like pure rose from begining to end. So no lame-ass vanilla musk drydowns here. By the way, "end" is well over 12 hours after application. Its sillage is brutal too, so only a spritz or two is more than enough for a whole day.

Tea Rose obviously makes a great women's perfume, but it's also a good men's scent. That is, if you love the smell of rose, and as long as you don't overapply it. If you're a guy and you don't already LOVE rose, then forget it. You'll hate this. And if you think you'll spray this on like you wear Aramis Havana, forget about it too. You'll smell like an old lady if you do that.

Both thumbs way up, and a perfect score from me.

MY RATING: 10/10

Tea Rose is fascinating in that it eschews the bottom-shelf trend of making a soliflore smell sweet and musky (read "girly"), and goes the opposite direction with obvious enthusiasm, and to some success. Instead of transparent nectar and fruit over a white musk frame, the synthetics articulate an old, dry, almost fetid flower - one with considerable presence and staying power. There is something masculine in how the dankness is allowed to persist on an otherwise-uninspired rubbery base. While the flower smells competent, its pairing with cheap and plasticine basenotes is less than stellar; the sparse composition threatens to cloy within an hour. And cloy it does. Wear sparingly for the pleasant "old rose" effect, and keep a nostril on the silage factor. This site says Tea Rose is feminine - I say it's fine for men, and a true bargain to boot.