Tabacco

About Tabacco by I Profumi di Firenze

I Profumi di Firenze

Tabacco is a shared scent by I Profumi di Firenze

Reviews of Tabacco by I Profumi di Firenze

There are 5 reviews of Tabacco by I Profumi di Firenze.

A refreshing diversion for tobacco, I Profumi di Firenze delivers classical tradition in perfumery, reflected in the quenching bitter, aromatic, yet somewhat wet, soapy Tabacco. The opening has a saturated, spiced, resonant vigor, a gorgeous tonality imparted by wormwood and accents of violet and geranium, immediately showcasing the old world genius of the house.

There is the suggestion of not only the leaves of tobacco but also the flowers, a vernal sheen and soft floral quality paired with the more herbal, agrestic resonance of the tobacco leaf. It continues in this direction until it settles into a gorgeous base of mossy, sheer sandalwood.

No vanilla, no heavy coumarin, no woody ambers, nothing cumbersome or shouty, Tabacco is a beautifully compact yet radiant rendition of tobacco that is uncommon and winsome by design. Absolutely wonderful.

Ugh, extremely soapy, old and classic. If you don't like the soapy note, don't get close to this. The beginning is a toxic explosion of herbal notes in a strong sense of soap and classic barber shop cologne. The peculiarity of this perfume begins with the prominence of notes of white flowers that settle among all the aroma of dirty geranium / lemon / herbal and that end up giving the perfume little by little an air of warm sensuality (the nicotiana?) next to a sweet and watery sandalwood aroma and an attenuated spice atmosphere. The tobacco is very camouflaged (very fused in the toxicity and then in the sparkling softness of the perfume), and only appears very beautifully in the drying phase, but only as a tobacco flower: nothing to do with other strong oriental tobacco perfumes, this is the opposite extreme, as if it were the aroma that emerges from the harvest and from the plants (roots, exotic flowers, etc.).
It is not easy to recommend this. It seems to me the most controversial aroma (which I have tried) of this wonderful house. In general, the model of the classic male barber shop fragrance is approached in an original way (sweeter, herbaceous and toxic). Pefume's complexity is overwhelming and well done, but to my liking no note stands out enough nor does the general aroma settle enough to be able to say that the fragrance has true character. The overall performance is medium, not bad.

Tobacco is probably one of my absolutely favorite notes in perfumery because of its variegate congeries of potential renditions. You can enjoy around indeed quite diverse approaches to this "equatorial" note in a way we can aromatically wave from a freshy spicy/aromatic classic gentlemanly "tobacco leaves rendition" (Aramis Havana), to a boozy/dark-funky/beat "tobacco/woodsy notes-centered" implementation (C&S Cuba), from a talky-powdery interpretation of the exotic theme (Remy Latour Cigar), to a freshly soapy (kind of freshly honeyed chypre) type of bright perfumed tobacco (Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Cuba), from a structured aromatic-floral-woody tobacco (Burberry Men) to (as in this case) a quite perfumed mild floral-musky-balmy tobacco's interpretation, overall passing across sort of harshly smoky ashtray-type "visions" of the main raw material (from the steamy-aromatic Lutens Fumerie Turque to the sweeter "cigar-cappuccino like" Hilde Soliani Bell'Antonio), cuir/tobacco stout accords (Montale Aoud Cuir d'Arabie) or semi-gourmand experiments (Armani Attitude). I Profumi di Firenze Tabacco is indeed smooth, radiant, cologney, floral and "perfumed", a quite mild, surely soapy (a typical soapiness from this main note) and almost yummy-edible tobacco's performance. You can immediately notice the almost entirely natural (or anyway bright and fragrant) texture of the juice, its (wet, than angular-floral and finally somewhat balmy) stimulating consistency, its substantially carnal balmy-musky type of involvement. This tobacco rendition is focused over herbal notes, floral notes, woods (mostly sandalwood), piquant spices (cloves, cinnamon??) and balsams. Opening is hesperidic-aromatic, "classically cologney" and vibrant, something humid and leafy, green and spicy, dirty and vaguely fermenting (in a moderate and anyway positive way). You can get the "stickiness on skin" and the aroma is breathtaking. Seriously, rarely I've enjoyed in this way a top phase. I can get a sort of indolic (vaguely dirty-acid) natural floral intensity (kind of almost animalic) surrounded by fresh leafiness, aromatic patterns, a classic (slightly barber-shop) bergamot/neroli/geranium accord and musks. This phase is quite heavenly and I'd almost wish it to be neverending. Floral notes are hardly discernible to me (inizially vegetal and finally balmy), all I can catch is their hyper realistic redolent pulsation (probably I can catch just jasmine apart geranium). Gradually we are leaded down this central floral transition with a deeply orangy (neroli) and soapy floral kaleidoscope (a plenty of nectarinic-soapy nuances with any specific starring note under my uncivilized wild nose). Tobacco is heady in this phase, I get simply a well rounded brilliant smooth/mossy fresh projectful tobacco (surely clove-like spicy-dirty) to die for. Gradually balsams and musks envelop all the elements in a smoothly seasoned-exotic visceral embrace (with ambergris nuances and soapy-spicy-musky shades). The tobacco's tropical warmth is counteracted by a freshly botanic dreamy/breezy muskiness. Probably iris (connected with musk and may be smooth vetiver) provides a bed of musky-waxy softness. Dry down is just to be loved with soul and senses, with this touch of warming-spicing up ambergris. I profumi di Firenze Tabacco is pure joy on my skin, a fragrance full of energy, vibrant, exotic, versatile, a scent rich of floral colour, soapy-spicy nuances and with a bracing multicoloured fresh-musky energy (despite the final warmer/spicier/darker evolution).

P.S: along the way the aroma significantly darkens finally morphing towards a spicier-warmer-smokier more virile/organic status. Piquant spices provide a sort of (moderate) frankincense's illusion. In this phase the juice is superb, quite classic, seductive, close to skin, woodsy-chypre (with a dominant accord of ambergris/tobacco and leather's nuances), moderately smoky and hyper "sensible/comforting" in style.

Sandalwood and ..not tobacco …tobacco-flower! I Profumi di Firenze's Tabacco is going to be an easy one to review because Diamondflame has done all the work for me; but I think I should write something, so I'll basically support his details by writing about myself: First, herbal and soapy – I get herbal… (…I seldom get "soapy" in a fragrance – my bad)… "Mildly" is the right word for the opening, it is an undramatic and very natural-smelling herbal accord – organically competent. I do get a light sandalwood note almost from the beginning – (I'm oversensitive to wood notes.) I find the sandalwood note… beautiful – it is the kind of note that I think resembles what a true sandalwood note should be... it's a more accessible version of my 10% mysore essential oil. Lovely sandalwood – quiet and rich and linear – lasts forever. There are other wood notes supporting the sandalwood in Tabacco. I do not smell the lily of the valley, but that is probably because the nicotiana seems to overpower it – nicotianas were one of my mother's favorite flowers – she planted them around the screened porch so she could smell them on summer evenings – incredibly beautiful aroma – only in the evening, which is probably why this floral doesn't last – evening doesn't last… but the sandalwood stays on discreetly and naturally for a very long time. I love this one.Pros: A wonderful melancholic sandalwood fragrance.Cons: Tobacco flower doesn't last long enough."

My recent exploration into Italian fragrances brought me to this somewhat obscure Florentine outfit called I Profumi di Firenze whose fragrances are reportedly 'inspired' by 16th century formulas commissioned by (drum rolls...) Caterina de Medici! As my time machine is still under repair, there is no way I could verify those claims in time for this mini review.

First on my sampling list was TABACCO. Its opening is mildly herbal and soapy, unfolding rapidly on my skin to reveal a floral heart with muguet paving the way for the fragrant nicotiana aka tobacco flower. At this juncture I could not help but picture the anguish on the faces of tobacco-loving male fans. Sorry guys, this is NOT your dream pipe tobacco scent but more of a floral tobacco blend, with some Mysore sandalwood shoring up the base. Sillage is modest, extending further with soaring temperatures while lasting power is not too shabby.

What I enjoy most about this fragrance is the breezy and organic feel of the composition. Nothing feels 'forced'. The ingredients seem to be of good quality. While the tobacco flower could afford to linger a bit longer but on the balance, the smooth slightly smoky sandalwood drydown probably more than makes up for the nicotiana's premature(?) departure.

Add your review of Tabacco