Tabac Tabou
Parfum d'Empire (2015)

Overall

About Tabac Tabou by Parfum d'Empire

Reviews of Tabac Tabou by Parfum d'Empire

You've walked into your uncle's study where he always smokes, and you sit on his olde leather loveseat and watch him work away. You begin absorbing the musty odors of his unkempt room and you begin to feel to his humanity. After some time, he offers you some hot sugar water and pours honey in it because that's all he can drink after coughing up his lungs all night. Tabac Tabou by Parfum d'Empire.
Feb 7, 2018

The Night Café by Vincent van Gogh ,1888
Oct 30, 2016

I agree with most of the reviewers here who have generally given this one the thumbs up. The leather and animalic notes remind me of ziblenia base (Firmenich). The honey and tobacco I like too and it's better in the drydown than Tobacco Vanille (Tom Ford) which has just leaves a residue of vanilla, like cheap ice cream. But this one has something of the smoothness of "Old Spice" about it, but is a lot more original than that of course. I would buy this.
Jul 10, 2016

Too sweet. Too dense. Too fleeting. Too...

...'disappointing' just about sums up the majority of my experience with tobacco scents. That is, until I encountered Tabac Tabou.

Tobacco leaf is undoubtedly the theme of the show here, not the star. But it is an illusion, a synergy of different components, almost holographic in its presentation - from hues of gold and brown, textures that feel dusty-papery, almost dessicated even and an intriguingly narcotic aroma that seems to evoke those of vintage chypres with its aridity and overall floral-salty-leathery-mustiness.

Great tobacco scents hardly ever project beyond a foot and Tabac Tabou is unfortunately no exception. But it lasts a good 6-8 hours on my skin. And I take comfort knowing the perceived ephemerality of a fragrance seems proportionate to the degree of enjoyment we derive from it. That's probably why we mourn over short-lived gems and complain about tenacious 'scrubbers'. It's all relative.

What makes Tabac Tabou shine for me personally is the nuanced approach the perfumer (Marc-Antoine Corticchiato) has taken to tease out the various facets of the cured tobacco leaf. Worn appropriately it doesn't suffer the weight and density of say Tabac Aurea or Chergui. Corticchiato has in fact assembled a stellar cast of supporting players; 'hay' in particular offers a terrific olfactory frame to hang a tobacco structure on. Narcissus? Brilliant.

In a nutshell? Warm, sensual, and borderline addictive. It may be early days yet but this is shaping up to be one taboo I'd love to break.
Feb 14, 2016

Nice cold weather scent. I actually like the animalic notes in this one. Nice touch. The leather and tobacco added with this would make you think this would be a mess. Far from that. Not a full bottle purchase for me, but I would get a decant though.
Feb 4, 2016

Smells olds fashioned to me, mostly leather, quite a lot like Derby or Knize Ten and even a bit of Vega from Guerlain. Not worth the asking price PDE makes better stuff.
Jan 6, 2016

Show more reviews of Tabac Tabou...

Add your review of Tabac Tabou