Sweetie Aoud

About Sweetie Aoud by Roja Dove

Roja Dove
Roja Dove

Reviews of Sweetie Aoud by Roja Dove

Where's the oud?? (looks frantically all around...)

I get more of a bakery meets boutique fragrance seller thing with Sweetie Aoud. There is the inclusion of Southeast Asian gurjum balsam and amyris elemi resins are great - resins fascinate and delight me for the most part, esp. in niche fragrances (can't forget my perennial favorite, olibanum). Floral, spice, woody and herbal accords really shape this into a sophisticated direction - emphasis being cardamom and rose notes shining the most here, along with patchouli.

Nice as the notes are, for me the concoction does NOT feature oud in any appreciable way (some reviewers seem to be able to detect it - nose of the beholder). I may have smelled it and attributed it to the guaiac and / or cedar woods.

Nonetheless - Sweetie Aoud as a semi-gourmand scent is a bit confusing overall. I don't mind scents that are different than what's typically out there, but this one is too challenging though not altogether hideous.
Jan 1, 2019

Roja Parfums Sweetie Aoud's name is half misleading, half dead-on accurate. Certainly this is perhaps the sweetest entry of his I've tried to this point, but while oud is a listed note, to include aoud in the name is a bit misleading, as the scent is mainly a candy-sweet-mixed-with-florals-and-woods type of scent, not really an oud scent at all.

Artemesia and rose mix with guaiac, cedar, balsam, labdanum, frankincense, and a patisserie accord, which perhaps supplants the candy floss / cotton candy accord that I've seen in other more recent Roja entries.

It somehow blends the "candy sweet" and "sweet floral" vibe creamily with the use of resins and woods to allow for a rather refined mix.

One needs to be able to appreciate the sweet stuff and appreciate florals to a degree in order to want to wear Sweetie Aoud, I'd say, otherwise it might prove challenging. It certainly doesn't contain my preferred type of sweetness but I would nonetheless argue that it's so beautifully done that it wins me over enough to want to wear it more and often.

Performance is excellent, quite loud and long-lasting, but the price is a tough sell at $555 for 50ml. Still, an interesting and enjoyable entry.

8 out of 10
Apr 19, 2018

Sweet, creamy opening with a nice woody rose as it starts to settle down. It stays sweet throughout. Even later you get more oud and incense. Very unisex to me, I cannot decide if I like it more on me or worn by a female. The sweetness and oud are balanced against each other nicely.

Too sweet to be formal and too heavy for warm weather.

Average projection but the longevity is good.
Jan 25, 2018

Got my bottle of Sweetie Aoud yesterday from Bergdorf Goodman's. This Is An Amazing Scent, One of The Best I Have Ever Smelled. This is also the First Time I Have Ever Smelled Any of the Roja Fragrances. My ONLY Complaint Is That It Does Not Project Very Far. This Might Be The Perfect Scent If It Projected Better.

9.5/10! Would Have Been a 10 If It Projected Better and Lasted Longer!!!
Sep 26, 2015

The name’s deceptive as there’s nothing oud-ish here, and the sweetness — while overpowering at the start — burns off within minutes to reveal a bread-like accord that quickly (and I mean quickly) gives way to an earthy patchouli and cardamom. This movement takes place in under five minutes, and so I’d be more inclined to refer to this scent as patchouli-dominant with a pastry undertone. The opening blast reflects the usual Roja cavalcade of ostentation, and the pastry that follows is pitched somewhere between brown sugar, bread, and a fried donut. Jeux de Peau is the closest analog at this stage, but the Lutens is more reserved and tasteful whereas the Dove keeps the gaudiness of the opening in sight. But the point that Sweetie Aoud settles at — an herbalized earthy patchouli with just a touch of donuty sweetness — isn’t as hideous as the name would suggest or as vulgar as this line can get. The asking price, however, is as hideous as the name, but I think we’ve come to expect that from these guys now. Better than expected, but the bottom line is that it’s working with themes that have been done better elsewhere.
Jul 28, 2015

Show more reviews of Sweetie Aoud...

Add your review of Sweetie Aoud