Sweet Oriental Dream

Montale
Pierre Montale

Where to buy Sweet Oriental Dream

Reviews of Sweet Oriental Dream by Montale

It has not the well known Montale DNA in it. A gourmand mix of honey, vanilla and almond. And it's different from 80% of Montale's products meaning the rose notes are well hidden in the back.

The opening is too powdery but after 15 minutes it becomes very pleasant and sweet. I am a fan of honey so it's obvious i like this perfume. After the drydown Sweet Oriental Dream is honey at its best.

A good perfume but i don't find it that oriental. Longevity is very big and sillage is above moderate.
Sep 6, 2019

This, is a Montale? I'm shocked. It isn't the usual, blast-that-knocks-you-off-your-chair frag. I get a big rose at first. The honey and almond are syrupy. Not too sickly sweet. I get a little "smoke" here - could be the rose and stuff messing with me. Big vanilla ice cream note appears.

This isn't exclusively a rose scent, nor is it entirely a gourmand. It's a wicked blend of both. It seems to see-saw it's profile.

Much later it becomes a vanilla-rose blend that mimics patchouli. Almost pure powdery. Delicious!
Nov 28, 2018

When I was an angsty teenager, my greatest pleasure was to retreat to my room, turn on my pink Lava Lite, listen to the Talking Heads, and burn my "chocolate cake" incense. I loved that incense. It smelled little like chocolate cake, but DID smell like some sort of sweet almond dessert being toasted over sandalwood. I couldn't find a perfume that smelled like it, so I'd burn it in my closet and shut the door to get the smell on my clothing.

So when I first tried Sweet Oriental Dream this many years later, it brought tears to my eyes, because it was that smell from my teenage bedroom. Objectively, it's super strong and a lot of the same great accord, all almond-y and incense-y, if obviously synthetic. It's certainly one that's going to be lethal with over-application, so I'm using samples I can dab until the day when I finally buy a full bottle and brave spraying it. And I will buy a bottle, for although SOD smells just like it could be a BPAL scent - and I had my hopes for a substitution - I've now tried hundreds of BPALs, and can confidently say that there isn't one in the catalog quite like it.

The last time I went to visit my mom, who lives in same house, I bought a new pink party light and lay there in my old bedroom wearing this perfume since that old chocolate cake incense is long gone.

Oct 28, 2015

Not as horrifying as it sounds coming from one of the least subtle houses in perfumery. The honey is there, but it’s dialed back, blended with scorched maltol, and the whole thing’s cut with Montale’s signature condom note (a rubbery saffron) that actually launches the scent into a more intriguing space. Don’t get me wrong, it's still best suited for folks who choose to smell like donuts of their own cognizance, but given the brand and the name of the perfume, it’s not nearly as gag-inducing as you might think. Well-shaped, somewhat polite, and not a total cliche—which is quite impressive for Montale. Would I wear it? Of course not. Is it as bad as it could have been? Not really.
Mar 4, 2015

Very similar to TDC Oriental Lounge but a little less dark. Long lasting and named appropriately. Better suited for temps below 65 degrees.
Apr 23, 2013

At first I thought I'd never get to like SOD but after a couple of wearings I've fallen in love with it.
You get what was promised: Sweet Oriental Dream is sweet but never in a cloying way, its sweetness is well balanced (Pierre Montale may have some "not so good" perfumes but, when he's spot on, he really is). With SOD you get the aroma of turkish delight: you get honey, you get almonds and dried fruits, you get spices, some rose petals... At first I got the impression that this mix was going to become sugary sweet and too powdery, but It never gets that way (thanks, Pierre).

It lasts and lasts with very good projection. I've got really good feedback with this fragrance, people with no interest in fragrances beyond the one they wear or they got for christmas have been asking me where did I buy this one.

In my "Montale Experience" this and Blue Amber have been authentic crowd pleasers. Thumbs up from me.
Jan 29, 2012

Show more reviews of Sweet Oriental Dream...

Add your review of Sweet Oriental Dream