Shanghai

Overall

About Shanghai by Lenthéric

Lenthéric

Reviews of Shanghai by Lenthéric

There are 2 reviews of Shanghai by Lenthéric.

Lentheric's 1916 Shanghai smells to me exactly like Raphael's 1944 classic, Replique. Imitation is a form of flattery, after all.

I have lived with many bottles of Raphael's pure parfum, so I know this scent intimately. It has a rich plummy floral depth (rose, ylang, tuberose, jasmine) and a warm, seductive, animalic base (amber, musk, vanilla, civet). I love it and am delighted to find its ancestor in Shanghai.

I will repeat below the notes in Replique, as the closest I can come to giving a note tree for Shanghai:

Top: Bergamot, Neroli, Orange, Coriander, Clary Sage
Heart: Carnation, Rose, Orris, Ylang, Jasmine, Tuberose
Base: Patchouli, Amber, Moss, Leather, Musk, Vanilla, Civet.

Hard to find but worth seeking out, along with Replique.
Aug 17, 2017

I think my bottle is quite old (pre-1934 relaunch?) though that is a guess based on the design of the box and bottle. I hope a better nose than I will review it!

After the opening aldehydes fade, I think I get rose, bergamot or neroli (which on me dominates a little too heavily at times), and later spices (cinnamon and/or clove). I believe the base is musk, but that's a hard note for me to detect.

I'm not sure I love it, but I do wear it in the right mood -- it's distinctive, quite different from anything else I own.
May 25, 2012