Santal / Sandalwood

About Santal / Sandalwood by Floris

Floris

Reviews of Santal / Sandalwood by Floris

Floris Santal Review:

This fragrance starts of with a fairly subdued spicy opening. The spiciness comes from the cardamom mixed with a hint of pepper. Just like with everything else in this scent, the pepper never feels brash or abrasive to your senses. Sitting behind this spicy concoction is just a little bit of citrus.

The opening then leads into a soft lavender mid, with a creamy sandalwood base. It amazingly accomplishes all of this with a fresh airiness to it all. It's a beautiful fragrance in it's simplicity and is one of my absolute favorites.

This is one of the fragrances that gets compared to the classic Gucci Envy on occasion. From what I have tried, this is the smell that reminds me of Envy the most. It just so happens, that for my personal tastes, I actually prefer this one. It has a lighter and brighter smell to it than Gucci. This is a perfect fragrance to add to your Fall and Spring Rotations. Also, if you find the Extreme version I would definitely pick it up. It's a bit stronger than the original and would be quite a find.

Best Age Group- 30+
Best Season(s)- Fall/Spring
Occasions- Formal, Work, Casual
Projection/Sillage- Moderate
Longevity- 7 Hours
Smell- 10/10
Overall- 10/10

YouTube Channel: theaveragecologneguy
Jul 27, 2021

Overly sweet lavender, that will be first supported by a strong cardamom in the top, and the usual synth amber (and tonka?) in the base. Sharp, unbalanced, and no news of the sandalwood to my nose (a hint of vanilla at most). I seriously question if who is praising the sandalwood note in this one has ever smelt a decent sandalwood-centered fragrance in their life - I don't say high-end stuf with real Mysore sandalwood, no.... I mean even just a frag with a pleasant sandalwood accord made of aromachemicals... How can this one be remotely compared to Tam Dao?
I admit that wearing Villoresi Sandalo all day long before testing this one for the first time might be a bit of a show killer, but since both navigate in a similar price range, I expected a similar level of quality. To my nose this one shares strong similarities with mainstream crap like A&H No.1, D&G The One and TF for Men. The comparison with Penhaligon's Endymion and Lothair are way too generous towards Floris. The poor performance doesn't help either.

My first experience with Floris (blind buy based on reviews and raving forum posts). This is just a first impression review, that will be updated later, but I have low expectations as my first impressions are usually quite in line with my later perception. But everyone deserves a second chance and I hope that my next date with a different Floris frag will provide me a different experience.
Still cant believe my nose... seriously? $75 for that? The same as I paid for Villoresi Sandalo? Seriously buddy??

Might fit the box for who looks for a sharp sweet/spicy floral/amber thing, but if it's sandalwood you're looking for, look elsewhere!
20+, Fall days (if really you should have to...)
Feb 14, 2021

Not sure why this directory listing is for two completely different fragrances - Santal and Santal Extreme have their own listings; this should be simply for Sandalwood from the classic range to avoid any confusion. Sandalwood is a fairly simple, straight forward sandalwood scent that was originally introduced in the 1800's and then subsequently re-released in the early 2000's around the same time Eau de Santal and its extreme counterpart were released. It has since been discontinued and should not be confused with the others, lacking their zesty peppercorn and clove notes.
Jan 11, 2020

I was very disappointed with this fragrance. A slightly citrusy, slightly peppery sandalwood, which *sounds* great, but it is so poorly done that it just smells cheap and the peppery notes make it feel, for lack of a better word, scratchy. The longevity is also very poor. It almost completely disappears after a few hours. The only good things I can say about this are: the bottle looks nice; it does have a clean feel at the opening; and you are unlikely to offend anyone with this (since it is very light and it will be gone by lunchtime anyway).
Jun 18, 2019

Santal by Floris has recently become my favorite fragrance, it works very well for me. Right or wrong, I believe that almost all fragrances develop uniquely on each person and this one works the best for me of any that I have tried. The Sandalwood is balanced, this is a woody fougere; I enjoy the lavender, vetiver and bergamot that makes this complex. I enjoy other sandalwood fragrances but I find this one the most delicate and balanced. It is never out of place and I never worry that it is too strong for the office or anywhere. It lasts on my skin, when I need a pick me up, I smell my wrist and it lingers there. It works well with other sandalwood soaps and shaving products. I can imagine using nothing but this in the future.
Jun 15, 2019

This is somewhat different to the review I was going to write, as I realised after the past few days in which I've re-tried both Egoiste and Santal, that I really don't get on with sandalwood-centred scents such as these (although I still fine Trumper's Sandalwood to be truly excellent and wearable).

So here, a slightly fresh and spicy opening with few of the notes listed in the card - certainly no "cut grass" or whatever - but a consistently good creamy dry-down with a touch of tonka and vanilla to keep the volume up during the day. I find Santal very similar to Egoiste, but it also touches a cap to No. 89, also by Floris, by virtue of the presence of nutmeg, which fits the scent well.

Good quality, but I suppose the caveat emptor is whether you would pay a bit extra for this over Egoiste. Not a dilemma that faces me, as I've sampled, done my duty, and will move on.
Apr 4, 2019

Show more reviews of Santal / Sandalwood...

Add your review of Santal / Sandalwood