Santal Royal

Guerlain
Thierry Wasser

Where to buy Santal Royal

Reviews of Santal Royal by Guerlain

There are 19 reviews of Santal Royal by Guerlain.

A beautiful synth woody scent, as beautiful as they go. Super loud, too. The natural parts are enhanced with synthetic ones to make this into a very potent, yet rich, deep and intoxicating blend. Stays well into the next day, and it feels warmer, balmy, even slightly honey-like the next day - there's something in it that reminds me of the drydown of Coco, yet it's not the same. Leans slightly masculine to my nose, yet still very suitable for all sexes. One spray fragrance for me.
Aug 16, 2021

I smell mostly piney juniper berry mixed with saffron, played against peppered fruitchouli. The top, where a flash of oud makes things interesting, is the standout, while the rest feels like a standard rose/saffron fruitchouli formula twisted just enough by the juniper as to not smell completely formulaic.

There's nothing bad about this - the interplay of sweet patchouli fruitiness, smoky juniper, and leathery saffron is well orchestrated. But like other reviewers here, I can't help but feel like this showed up late to a competition where the winners have already been announced. That being said, it still deserves a thumbs up for composition and craft.
Oct 11, 2020

The oud is there right from the start. A soft oud note - as synthetic as possible - of medium darkness - with the nigh-obligatory rose adjoined to it like in a Janus head. Some floral notes are also present, mainly a tender greenish Jasmine with a smooth glowing neroli of some brightness.

In the drydown some fruitiness sets in, involving which peach and whiffs of apricot. The rose is still there, although a bit attenuated in strength, but the other components of this creation prevent this Guerlain from becoming another oud-rose lemming stampeding towards the edge of the cliff. The oud is still dominant at this stage.

Approaching the base a cinnamon arises that, when we proceed further towards the base, will challenge the oud and surpass it as the dominant nots in this mix eventually. The oud is still there, but it is enveloped in the rich, smooth and intense cinnamon that has just the right amount of sweetness to be never intrusive or cloying. And slightly ambery leather as well as a touch of white musks turn up on this olfactory stage towards the end.

I get moderate sillage, good projection and seven hours of longevity on my skin.

This autumn scent is another oud-centric product, but fortunately it is a bit more than that. The cinnamon as it's main counterpart is a nice concept, but apart from the two main players the other components are quite generic at times, and this fake oud is not particularly original, albeit it lacks the shrill and scratchy side found in ouds a lot these days. Not bad, but not great either. 2.75/5.
Mar 9, 2020

Marvelous. Love this fragrance. Definitely in my top 5. Great sillage. Enjoy wearing it out on special occasions. I find it unique.
Mar 7, 2020

This is a style I like (the clean-feeling floral-oud) and so I don't hate this, though it's undeniably an also-ran entry in a well-explored category.

It's hard, if not impossible, to recommend this given countless other options in this category (from low-cost options like Banana Republic Oud Mosaic on up to more upscale entries like the sublimely constructed Floris Leather Oud).
Dec 28, 2019

Red Door for the 21st century, but "unisex".

This is a scrubber.... Glad it's only a sample.

Honestly, this is the absolute last Guerlain I'll ever try.

Edit: After 15 minutes of pure olfactory punishment, I wrapped a washrag around a bar of soap and took a few mils of skin off in the shower.

And I may need to repaint my bedroom, as there was a thick fog of Santal Red Door Royal hovering over the bed. AFTER the scrub session..... So if nuclear beastmode Red Door is your thing, well roll around for a week with a spritz of Santal Royal.
Dec 3, 2019

Show more reviews of Santal Royal...

Add your review of Santal Royal