Red Vetiver

Montale
Pierre Montale

Red Vetiver is a shared scent launched in 2008 by Montale

Reviews of Red Vetiver by Montale

There are 43 reviews of Red Vetiver by Montale.

This is how Montale envisions its own idea of Terre d'Hermes. Citruses here are bit more pronunced, making Monatle Red Vetiver appear as an amped up hybrid of Terre d'Hermes and Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee. Montale is also a bit more sweet at the heart of the fragrance, however becoming more dry and mineral like as it settles down a bit. If you already own Hermes, then Montale will be redundant and vice versa.

Some might like Montale more due to supposed reformulation of Hermes in which I don't really believe. Theory is that Montale will be much more potent and last longer than Hermes. That may be indeed in your (reader) case, however not in mine. On my skin Montale Red Vetiver lasts and projects more or less the same as Hermes Terre d'Hermes does.

If you like terre de Hermes then you’ll like this!
Great performance. Slightly harsher but still awesome.
I love love love this one. But to be fair if montale farted into a bottle I’d buy it and love it!

The opening blast is bright: a gentle grapefruit mixed with a soft patchouli that is combined with a very restrained mix of black and white peppers - an interesting start. Whiffs of a sweet blood orange come and go too

A bit later a discreet balsamic note form a Peru balsam appears too; this aroma is gives added aroma without veering into a medicinal territory. After a while longer a vetiver arises and grows a bit more intense with time. This vetiver is bright and devoid of any significance earthiness or crispness; at times it is a bit flat.

Towards the end I get a subtle woodsy undertones that bears characteristics of cedarwood, but again it remains in the background.

I get moderate sillage, good projection, and seven hours of longevity on my skin.

This scent for cooler summer days is composed of ingredients that are not very exciting in themselves, but in the early stage they combine to a rather original whole overall impression. The art of an unusual result from mixing fairly standard components is mastered well here. The vetiver in the Montale does not play the dominant rôle one would expect from its name though, and it is a bit bland on me. Red Vetiver shows some similarity with Terre d'Hermes, but it is brighter on me and less woodsy. Overall 3.25/5

I am almost finished going through a full bottle of TDH... Yes, these 2 are very similar, but I have come to the conclusion that I like RV better...at least , to my nose , it's more robust and aromatic ...better support action from spices and woods...good blending and balance...gonna get a bottle of this instead of another bottle of TDH...

Finally got to try this one and, as expected, I have found the resemblance with Terrre d'Hermes from the first seconds. From the distance they appear to be undistinguishable, but up close I can sense how synthetic the Montale is when compared to Hermes.
In the opening there is a metallic note that fortunately doesn't hang for long. Besides that, orange and woods. Linear and good. Nearly as good as Hermes.

Somewhat resembles flowers at times. Like a floral-y green scent. The patchouli is sweetened. Has a balsamic, spicy, slightly powdery accord overall. Leans towards femme. I thoroughly enjoy this. I wish it lasted longer.

Show more reviews of Red Vetiver...

Add your review of Red Vetiver