Red
Giorgio Beverly Hills (1989)

Overall

Red by Giorgio Beverly Hills

About Red by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Giorgio Beverly Hills
Bob Aliano

Red is a women's perfume launched in 1989 by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Where to buy Red

Reviews of Red by Giorgio Beverly Hills

There are 22 reviews of Red by Giorgio Beverly Hills.

This is an incredibly beautiful and sensuous scent, but deeply personal. I imagine a woman with dark, long tresses and nutmeg brown eyes that flash with golden ylang sparks. She leaves men in her wake, the unintentional side effect of mixing elusive cool and silken, golden flowers and with a warm, vanilla mystery wrapped in velvet spices.

After the fresh, bitter aldehyde opening it spirals through fields of roses, ylang ylang and cherry. It's full of flowers. Then the sweetness becomes oriental, spicy and close to gingerbread, where carnations replace neatly obvious cloves notes. Dry down is intoxicately dry like rich ambery liqueur, a heavy drop full of aromatic oils. Woody like oak that gives buttery notes to chardonnay barrels.

Totally It smells like a "night out" perfume to begin with it's spicy top notes, but evolves into a cosy floral with some wine/aldehydic accords. Red is a bonus for those who can't tolerate powerful spice scents like the Youth Dew or Opium.

Heavy cherry jolly rancher/cherry cola opening with blackcurrent/deep red berry notes. Odd mix of fruits that barely works together - there is a conflict of interests going on rather than a blended harmony. Red settles down to an overall floral buzz which reminds me of fabric softener or dryer sheets. Personally I'm a fan of the typical dryer sheet smell but understand that not everyone wants to smell like fresh laundry.

I have no idea how old my bottle is. I paid 5 bucks for it at a flea market. It was a blind buy. If I've sampled this years ago I sure don't remember. I enjoy this kitchen-sink wonder. Bold, brash, in your face.

Stand out, top notes are hiacynth, orange blossom, and ylang ylang. I get hints of peach and cherry, as well. Tuberose jumps up at you. The top and middle are pretty much a floral mess. Everything crowds together with no rhyme or reason. And still, I enjoy this. Nineteen eighties excess in a perfume, like its cousin Giorgio. No refinement here...

Besides tuberose, notes of rose, rosemary, and jasmine begin to take off. The other floral notes ping off each other. Sillage is monster here, if over-sprayed. Red is never overly sweet. It is never demure. The heart remains a floral mish-mash for hours.

Red, needs time to settle. It becomes smoother, more lady-like. Lychee brightens this floral with its mark of sugar. Iris adds a sprinkle of powder.

The base is an even blend of the usual suspects. It is also lighter. It's done screaming. Red is a floral oriental for the most part. It falls away with time. Becomes a whisper.

If the beginning of the grunge, music era were a fragrance, Red would be it. Floral angst, in a bottle.

I loved Red back in the early 1990s. Is it me or has it changed? I remember it being quite a long-lasting fragrance that projected very well and lasted all day. Now, it seems it is barely detectable only minutes after spraying it on. Have they decreased the amount of essential oil? The cherry/rosewood seems lighter than I remember. When I get fragrances that are watered down, I tend to pour them in a potpourri crock and let them "reduce" down to a stronger concentration, let them cool, and then transfer them to a different atomizer. This lets the alcohol evaporate and leave a more concentrated fragrance (in essence, changing an eau de toilette into an eau de parfum). I've done this with several fragrances and it seems to work because they now are more like an eau de parfum concentration and last much longer. I "reduced" many of the newer and weaker fragrances and got them to smell and behave like their original ancestors. I suppose I'll have to do this with Red for Women by Giorgio Beverly Hills. It is an eau de toilette, however, but would prefer an eau de parfum if they ever decide on making such a concentration in the future. I'll keep Red but "reduce" it to the concentration of my liking.

Against all odds, I have become friends with the reformulation of this late 80's icon.

The original was my signature, so when the reform came out, I was immediately aware that my baby had changed-- and not for the better. Where was the myrhh? And why add so much gardenia?

So I sent off for a vintage to test them side by side, and a strange thing happened. Either the vintage had aged into something I could not wear (too cloying), or my chemistry or taste had changed. I went back to the affordable reformulation a happier woman. Cherry, cinnamon, gardenia and patchouli? Why not?

It's lightened up over the years, and without my knowing it, so have I.

Not Vintage, but Not Bad EitherGreat scent for the buck. Pepper bomb that dries down into a soapy clean smell. The original had more to it. But beggars cant be choosers, and this still gets compliments. Just not the experience it once was. Pros: Long Lasting, Great scent, CleanCons: Reformulated all to hell"

Show more reviews of Red...

Add your review of Red