Reviews of Rahät Loukoum

Overall

Rahät Loukoum by Serge Lutens

Add your review of Rahät Loukoum

Reviews of Rahät Loukoum by Serge Lutens

There are 24 reviews of Rahät Loukoum by Serge Lutens.

After a brief second of an aldehyde burst, a blast of a rich and intense cherry-almond mix, and cherry-almond cake, with hints of marzipan in the background. This opening is gourmand galore!

After about half an hour i collapse and results in a concoction of rose leaves, a slight spiciness owed to the heliotrope, with the sweetness maintained by the addition if a honeyed vanilla-tonka impression; the latter is mixing with the cherry-almond core that carries over from the beginning. Double gourmand galore.

Towards the end touches of white musks arise, adding an, at times, a slightly powdery undertone.

I get moderate sillage, excellent projection, and nine hour of longevity on my skin.

This gourmand, which is nice for winter days, does indeed have some Turkish delight features , and the name promises, and a Christmas,as feel too at times. It lacks texture a bit, and the synthetic notes can be a bit cloying if applied too liberally - this is reported from own experience - but applying it sparingly alleviates this problem. A - just - positive score. 3/5

I like to think I'm critical and articulate when it comes to reflecting on my experiences of perfumes. And yet, there are, knowingly, a couple of blind spots within which I maintain nothing close to rigor or objectivity. The first is Serge Lutens, as a fragrance collection, as a brand identity, as an art practice, and as a cult icon. Color me obsessed (and that color is obviously black with violet trim). I'm a sucker for his melancholy glam photography; I find his riddlesome texts accompanying perfume releases entirely believable and intriguing; I fancy the lavish layers of luxe, psychoanalysis, and femme fatality that characterize his sensibilities. The shop in Paris is one of my favorite places. His designs on perfume are nearly always elegant, with shades of hysteria, realized mostly with Christopher Sheldrake as the nose. Whether moody gourmands, fabulous woods, or the more recent twisted takes on clean, airy vapors, I am seduced into the fantasies that Lutens offers. Pick an ingredient or direction, and I find the Lutens/Sheldrake genius to render them unique and perverse, with such depth of intelligence that I learn how to smell something anew with whole dimensions previously unappreciated. Maybe most incredible is that I tend to find them correctly priced–the ache of saving up and spending on them feels like part of the whole unsettling beauty of the thing.

My other blind spot is whatever approaches a toothsome heliotrope note. As accounted elsewhere, the marzipan and Play-Doh softness hypnotizes me on contact.

So with Lutens' Rahät Loukoum, I was most likely a goner from the start. Dadaist Tristan Tzara's line “Thought is made in the mouth” comes to mind. This smells of sinister almond pastry aerated with aldehydes, the finest dough (something of puff pastry or meringue) shaped more into spacious architecture than bite sized snack. The way a building is devastated to ruins, or the delicate crumble of the Mexican De La Rosa peanut candy that comes in rose-decorated wrappers, Rahät Loukoum falls apart into the most seductive powder.

This scent is divisive among wearers around the degree to which sweetness is perceived–so much so that I'm left wondering if we even mean the same things when we call something sweet. I've been revisiting sugared fragrances of late, and in that context I don't think of RL as particularly sweet at all, but more possessed of a throaty bitterness: crushed cherry fruit, pipe smoke, an alluringly pale reminder of the more wicked musks found elsewhere in the house of Lutens, and slightly screechy roses drifting through some back corridor of the scent. Other sultry, honeyed florals are nestled into the magnificent almond-heliotrope effect. Given the notes that make up Rahät Loukoum, part of its brilliance is how it turns up sharp where it should be saccharine, dreamily complicated where one would expect tawdry simplicity (indeed other reviewers find it inexcusably cheap). It is comforting insofar as psychologically fraught experiences covered over in pleasantry can be reassuring in their familiarity. For those who find it flatly sweet, inhale more deeply, find the agreeable madness, like a hatter at tea, that the depth of this scent affords.

This is a decent gourmand, but for me, a bit underwhelming.

The primary problem with it where I am concerned is that it's a riff on marzipan to me, not lokum, which is confusing to the point of being a little offputting (I might be a bit too literalist, but if you're going to create a perfume named "Rahät Loukhoum," I feel that it really should do what it says on the tin. Or at least not smell so very much like something else entirely). It's almonds and cherries. Almonds and cherries are lovely. But they aren't roses, or pomegranates, or mastic, or pistachios, or any other note one might reasonably expect to get from something purporting to be based on Turkish delight. I don't even really get a sugar/powdery note from it as I would expect with lokum, but rather a honey and vanilla.

Laying aside the fact that it just isn't very lokum-like, and judging it on its own terms: it's pleasant, but it's not very intriguing. And since it is not in fact lokum to me, I am a bit underenthusiastic about it all around.

Notorious as a sweet candy bomb, with reviews so polarized that you know there's something really interesting going on. Rahat Loukoum is a kind of dare, along the lines of "bet you can't pull off this one." Well sure you can, if you love sweet almondy fragrances. This one moves to the head of that class via complexity and style. Various support notes, notably aldehydes and bitter almond, play in and out for hours, lending a much-needed air of playfulness and joy to a fragrance that easily could have veered into tragic overkill. Try to track down one of the older, smaller bottles. A tiny bit goes a very long way.

A variation on the classic formula of Mugler's Angel.

From the descriptions of cherry and almond in the reviews here, I was prepared to smell the first version of Lutens' Louve (almost a decade later), but no.

One immediately gets the Angel impression of Christmas potpourri one smells in all the mall shops at Christmas time. Candles reek of it, it is sprayed on wreaths and is contained in actual aerosol cans for spraying about the house at holiday time.

Being rather a fan of this scent, though not interested in wearing it after my first bottle of Angel emptied, I can recommend it as rather festive. I can only give it a neutral rating due to it being copied from Mugler's formula with fewer ingredients. Rahat concentrates on linear fulfillment of the top notes of Angel, rather than truly replicating that complex and unique creation.

Considering the cost difference, best to choose the original Angel and get the benefit of more thought and effort.

This is a very complex and pleasant feminine fragrance that you may not get all the layers of the scent with only one testing. it took my a few more testing because of it's complexity.
The opening is a sweet and bitter combination of cherry, almonds and honey. the cherry note is a little bit harsh at the start and I do recommend to let it stay on your skin for about 4-5 seconds and then try smelling it. there is a strong bitterness beside this fruity opening and it has an oily quality into it.
Actually it's like the smell of bitter almond's oil plus fruity cherry and sweet honey.
The honey note is the savior here that calms down the bitterness of the almond note and also with the help of cherry creates a sensual fruity aroma.
As time passes, I'm getting a little less cherry and at the same time a little more honey. the bitterness of the almonds does exist, but now it has less oily feeling and a little more bitterness. with these small changes suddenly musk kicks in from nowhere and it says hi! it's not that strong but I can feel it beside other notes.
The quality and blending of the notes is awesome. you can smell and separate all these notes one by one which is amazing.
In the base the fruity cherry and bitter almond notes are in the background. at this level warm and sweet honey note and musk exchanging their position with vanilla. the sweetness of the scent does exist though, but now it's vanilla like sweetness instead of honey like and musky sweetness.
If guys who reading this do enjoy sweet and bitter scents, this will work for them too. this can be unisex for sure.
Projection is good and longevity is around 6-7 hours on my skin.
Master Christopher Sheldrake did it again!

I sniffed out the milky bitter almonds right off the bat but they subside well enough to greet the arrival of heliotrope and cherries on a surprisingly resinous base of vanilla and tonka. Sweet? Hardly. And I do have low tolerance for sweetness. Yet this does not set off my saccharin siren. Perhaps the key lies in moderating the fragrance application.

The texture feels slightly powdery, much like a delicate dusting of icing sugar on a piece of confection but considering the hint of floral note at its heart the overall impression I have of RAHAT LOUKOUM is not of a dense and syrupy-sweet straight-out gourmand but rather of a light oriental with a gourmand twist. If you like airy powdery almond/heliotrope scents such as Hypnotic Poison, Cologne Blanche or L'Eau d'Hiver, chances are you will enjoy this.

Delicious! Not having read the list of ingredients I actually thought the cherries were a sort of screaming tuberose that got very food-y because of the sweetness of the juice. In the middle notes I got a very resinous vanilla, something reminding me of tonka... Along with a spicy, slightly burnt note which I guessed was something along the lines of myrrh or lapsang suchoung. A gourmand oriental would be my description. Couldn't stop smelling my wrist when I wore it.

This scent is amazing! It is way strong, way sweet, and can be utterly overwhelming unless you use just the tiniest little bit - and the result will be with you all day in little whiffs of wow.

I use this only to layer - as a sweet accent to a wide variety of fragrances, and it is perfect for that.

I love it, my 1 ml sample lasted me for months but now, finally, I need a bottle - and that will last for the rest of my life! I'd buy a thimble-full if I could, that is all I really need for the next few years, it's that intense!

Extremely sweet gourmand: cherry liqueur, bitter almonds, marzipan and vanilla. I enjoy the cherry note and I don't mind that it's strong and sweet and boozy, but it also has a sharp, plasticky quality that makes it smell really cheap and that seems to make me sneeze as well. Actually, the plasticky quality captures the tasteless jelly that is Turkish Delight pretty well, though the choice of gourmand notes does not really reflect the bland rose water, orange blossom and pistaschio aromas of the candy.

I don't get cherries or almonds, I get white chocolate. Waaaay too sweet on me, and yeah, nothing like Turkish Delight.

I don't care what anyone else says - this smells nothing like Turkish Delight. Maybe Lutens pranked us based on the Arabic translation ([i]rahat al-hulkum[/i], meaning 'contentment of the throat') and made cough syrup instead. This scent never gets past screaming CHERRIES!!! at the top of its lungs, and the cherry shriek sporadically takes on a metallic overtone which is just plain wrong.

Rahät Loukoum is a sweet almond gourmand scent, indicative of, as others have pointed out, the “Turkish Delight” desert treat. I've encountered almond scents before that I've found way too sweet – sickeningly bubble gum sweet – for instance, Blu Mediterraneo's Mandorlo di Sicilia was just too much sweetness for me. Rahät Loukoum is another story. I find that the almond / amber / rose accord is … perfect. It is very sweet, but somehow in an accord where the sweetness doesn't become cloying. This sophisticated restraint is important in order for Rahät Loukoum to be considered a serious fragrance. It is, however, quite linear. I don't really get much of a change of character throughout … just that delicious almond / ambery / vanilla accord staying tenaciously in the foreground. It's a strong fragrance and one with excellent longevity. I do think it weighs in more on the feminine side than the masculine, and I think it is quite youthful. Rahät Loukoum is beautifully put together and well refined. It's an enjoyable scent and I love smelling it, but, as far as wearing it… sniffing will probably be the full extent of my relationship with it.

Rahat Loukoum is the Turkish name for the confection known in english as "Turkish Delight". As such this is aptly named. Like many Lutens, it starts off with a wet blast of mainly one note, in this case almond/marzipan, one of my favourite smells and tastes. It settles in to a very sweet, yet mellow almond turkish delight fragrance, and as time goes by it becomes more "civilized". I can't recognize all the notes, but it really does bring to mind the feel of Turkish delight, the powdered sugar, the nuts mixed in.A little goes a long way with this one. it is quite strong, and lasts a long time, and thus must be applied discriminately. That works for me given how expensive and rare it is. Failure to comply with the above warning will result you will smelling like you took a shower in amaretto syrup, and hordes of bees will follow you around all day.Wonderful!

Used lightly, the cherries-and-cream aroma will develop beyond the Stewart's soda blast, making a calming scent envelopment for relaxation and study which I had previously experienced only with good Japanese bancha tea. Quite pleasant for private times.

I so wanted to like this fragrance. Unfortunately, the drydown ended up smelling like cotton candy on me. In the end, way too sweet.

To me this is a nice rosy/almondy eau de toilette. It is very faint, not alot of sillage. I like Un Bois Vanille alot more.

A Lutens masterpiece, Rahat Loukoum startsoutfor me as a strong gourmand, a cherry, almond, vanilla delight that makes me want to take a bite out of my own arm. I don't get any of the cough syrup note others speak of, just pure candy. Sometime during the day, I can never pinpoint where, it transforms into a smoky, tobacco melange that reminds me of the best tack rooms. Expensive leather rubbed, oiled and stored where men have stood smoking cigars or pipes and discussing the affairs of the day. It's the best of two worlds and I am in love with it.

This smells like Turkish Delight as I know it with hints of yeast or dough. That doesn't sound too attractive, yet this really is a great fragrance. There are times when I crave it and times when the cherry note is too cloying, but overall I really enjoy this scent.

Although I do foody / gourmand I do have a problem tolerating some overtly sweet ones (e.g. CDG Spicy cocoa which I found truly sickening). This is truly subtle in spite of a list of ingredients which could just end up smelling a mess, it is beautifully balanced. I got a load of SL samples off ebay & love a lot of them but it's this & Daim Blond that had me wanting bigger bottles. It's comforting & stimulating & moreish & won't make you plump like the harem women!

A bitter almond opening that reminds me of Amaretto liquor. Later becomes soft and fluffy and a little powdery , but not of the talcum variety. More of the dusting sugar persuasion. Sweet , but not sickeningly so.Having tasted many times the real sweet , Loukhoum, which is made of rosewater jelly and dusting sugar and is sometimes ( in one variety ) perfumed with almond essence , I have to say it is inspired by it , not copying or mimicking it.Nice actually, but not on a par with his others?

This Stunning unique fragrance is all women.it is sweet,elagant,and mysterious.I can't aimagine a man wearing this as it is distinctly female.I am not one for "foody:scents like angel or lempicka,but I am in love with this fragrance.It is sweet,but not cloying due to the subtle rose inflex.This is one of my all time favorite fragrances.

The sweetest blend of roses, vanilla, honey, cherries and almonds. The fragrance in fact does smell like famous "Turkish Delight" - a thick sweets scented with rosewater and filled with almond, pine nuts and dusted with sugar, that Oriental women in harems ate in order to keep themselves plump. Not for everyone.