Pure Poison

Overall

About Pure Poison by Christian Dior

Christian Dior
Carlos Benaim

The perfumer's words: The fragrances of the Poison line take new directions with daring provocation.
They are fragrances created to surprise and astonish, to let women assert their femininity with confidence.

Reviews of Pure Poison by Christian Dior

There are 54 reviews of Pure Poison by Christian Dior.

This style of clean white floral has never been of much interest to me, but I can see where some might really like it. But on my skin, to top it off, is the laundry detergent clean note. I don’t want to smell quite this synthetic. I’m with Varanis Vidari on this one, and he says it well. Name-manship like this makes me cynical.
Jul 2, 2021

Dior Pure Poison (2004) is another dissemination of the original Dior Poison (1985) accord in an attempt to extend the life of the line. Hypnotic Poison (1998) was a gourmand-focused flanker that defanged the original of its animalics, but Pure Poison strips even the oriental spice qualities still present in Hypnotic Poison away, focusing on the florals to produce a mostly jasmine and orange blossom perfume. In one way, it's impressive that the original was so dense that so many different perfumes can be made from its parts, but in another, it's kind of sad that Dior felt the need to since complexity was out in favor of mundane simplicity. People wanted clean or candy sweet in the turn of the 21st century, with sharp ozone top notes or tons of galaxolide laundry soap/shampoo lustre replacing galbanum or aldehydes. It took a whopping 3 perfumers to craft this, all the more puzzling since the three assigned are all fairly talented in their own right, but this is what they landed upon in their collaboration. Carlos Benaim, Olivier Polge, and Dominique Ropion crafted what is essentially a white floral from the carcass of the original Poison, and while nice in a quaint sort of way, doesn't really fit the name at all.

The opening is bergamot and jasmine, pretty obvious and not far away from J'Adore (1999), but without the fruity pear sparkle. Instead, we get the heavy orange blossom tone from Jean Guichard's landmark Poison, sitting all by its lonesome until joined by a puff of tuberose. This isn't the "terrible tuberose" of 80's feminine powerhouses, but a softer and less-fleshy variety, flanked with gardenia and slathered in shampoo aromachems until it glows in the dark. The heart is unnaturally pretty, but beyond that, we don't get much else besides soft amber, white musk, polysantal, and a general feeling that they were going for Edmond Roudnitska's white floral treatment in the mid-century Dior series, but by cutting a ton of corners. Aim high, shoot low, and hope nobody with the wherewithal to notice calls them out is the name of this game, and it just gets a slide. Wear time is average and sillage is just okay, but the 80's weapons-grade orange blossom can come out to bite if over-applied, so be careful. Many will see this feminine but white florals read unisex to me, although your conclusions may differ. Best worn in spring or early fall, since Pure Poison is too sweet for summer, but too weak for winter, and likely as a casual day scent at that.

If this was a perfume made by a house like The Perfumer's Workshop and sold for under $20, I'd honestly be giving it a thumbs up for being a simple and cheap thrill, much like my beloved Tea Rose (1972), but this is banking on the brand cachet of a legendary powerhouse and selling itself as something fiercer with a name like Pure Poison, so I'm not convinced. Furthermore, this stuff reaches niche pricing at over $130 a bottle, being almost half-again the price of the original with half the perfomance or artistry, despite 3 reputable names assigned to it. Lastly, something like J'Adore gets by for being novel at the time of release, being its own animal of sorts, but releasing something so close to it as a flanker for what should be a contrasting line seems a bit befuddled to me, like Dior just absolutely needed a "another clean Posion even more neutered than before", which is what this really comes across as to me. It sorta pains me to not give this a thumbs up but for the quality of what it is versus what you're expected to pay, and the legacy it tries to bank on, it just leaves such a bad taste in my mouth that all I can do is acknowledge Pure Poison's pleasantness but otherwise pass on it, so I'll compromise and rate it Neutral.
Aug 1, 2019

The little black duck in my all star poison family. It's got much jasmine and orange blossom. It's a beautiful white floral... I mean, another beautiful white floral. Very clear and green. Well done, but disappointing for the lack of originality. I guess I was expecting too much, after a date with every other member of the family. Sillage and longevity are weaker as well.
I didn't think I'd give a poison away.
Apr 20, 2017

The beginning is jasmine with a slightly hesperidic undertone, but the core of this creation is floral, pure floral. Gardenia -thinned out compared to older samples - orange blossom, hints of geranium and white of a very slimline non-waxy tuberose make up the first phase in its development.

The drydown and the base are a conglomerate of ambroxan, an nondescript white musk and a very generic patchouli, rounded off by a small amount of benzoin. Very much pure advanced biochemistry laboratory but without any originality in the latest version.

I get moderate sillage, very good projection and seven hours of longevity on my skin.

Very generic in the second half especially, a pleasant spring scent that in never unpleasant and its sweetness surprisingly uncluttered, but overall nothing exciting in the contemporary edition, which is like Poison Lite compared to the older version.

This poison does not cause pain and does not kill, but it does not delight either. 2.5/5.
Jul 4, 2016

This is for me a very light white floral - a mixture of jasmine, tuberose and gardenia. The Turin/Sanchez review describes it as a powerhouse, stretching its effect for "three city blocks." It must have calmed down a bit since she reviewed it, quite tame by my standards.

It's perfectly pleasant, but of no distinction, and not worth the four stars Ms. Sanchez confers upon it, in my opinion.

I don't get any of the candied orange peel or woodiness. Perhaps Dior has reformulated it.

Ah, well, even if its decibel level were increased, I wouldn't be compelled to try it again. Decent, but unremarkable.
Nov 7, 2015

Salutation.

PURE POISON is one of the best floral perfumes.Surely DIOR style and have a perfect balance of passion and Composure and in my opinion this is something that makes this scent EXCLUSIVE.It is truly Gorgeous.

Artistic,Elegant,Feminine,Classy and Special.The freshness of different citrus is complemented by Jasmine in the top notes However jasmine is dominant in the begining until the end on my skin.Romantic and Charming without being harsh.

Certainly this composition is Subtle and Sophisticated for a floral scent.It is more Natural than most Modern perfumes.A perfume for queen in AUTUMN/WINTER Eveneings.i recommended it for lady between 30/50 years old.ideal for present too.PURE POISON is Enjoyable to wear indeed.

Sillage?Decent.

Longevity?Good on my skin.

Apr 22, 2015

Show more reviews of Pure Poison...

Add your review of Pure Poison