Platinum Égoïste

Overall

About Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Chanel
Jacques Polge

The "alter ego" of Egoiste. A fresh fragrance enjoyed by many. Similar bottle to the original Egoiste, but with a silver lid. Packaged in a silver box.

Reviews of Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

There are 256 reviews of Platinum Égoïste by Chanel.

This smells like very expensive shaving cream that was made for a King. It's dry, clean and enticing. What I imagine heavens waiting room would smell like before you step off into paradise.
Sep 23, 2021

I find myself largely frustrated by Egoiste. It might just be a preference thing admittedly, but although it smells very good, it also smells very common, probably because it has been copied, but I know enough to know that it also copied so much from the past itself. In essence, it perfects what came before it, but in return it lacks a certain distinctiveness in the modern day at least, and I've smelled enough to know it wasn't that unique even back in the 90s.

Its strength really lies in the craftsmanship which is undeniable, there are a lot of notes and they all seem to be expertly blended. Egoiste takes what was already around before in a variety of men's colognes and starts it out sparkling and fresh. This is really where it pulls you in, but the mids and base just dry down to a woody bases that were ubiquitous back then as now.

This creates a conflict especially with those that like to match the seasons, a conflict a lot of men's colognes seem to have, trying to start out fresh and end sensual. The intent seems to be to make it universal and trans-seasonal but the result is something that seems right for no season or weather in particular.

All that being said it might just be your favorite scent, to the point where everything else feels extraneous. But for me? Feels like it could have used more focus.
May 15, 2021

A very easy going fragrance in the same ball park as Creed Himalaya, musky metallic and clean, Platinum has a creamy lavender feel in the opening that almost sways things into barbershop territory but never fully lands there and ends up becoming cleanly and soapy, finally resting on a metal and white soap vibe, overall this is a great all rounder that smells good anytime anywhere.
Jun 12, 2020

The notes are listed above, so I'll refrain from waxing poetic in flowery language about them.

I think of Platinum Egoiste as Creed Himalaya's blue collar cousin (if one could even call Chanel "blue collar")...it's less refined, and more linear, yet gets the same job done more efficiently, and for less $$$.

A go-to scent when I want to smell clean...like a luxury masculine bar of soap.

I'll add that even though it's pushing 30 years old, it doesn't smell like it. I find it a timeless classic.
Apr 22, 2020

Received more compliments on this one compared to hype king AHSEE... I think it's mainly because people can smell this on me, whereas AHSEE nowadays is soo darn watered down that nobody can smell me, I can't even smell it most of the time lol.

There are TWO main notes PE can develop on my skin. This first one is the signature green&citrisy smell from the initial blast. Even though this thing does not have any citrus note listed, you do get a citrus vibe. A friend of mine called this "lemony" and "fruity", which blew me away lol. Usually after 1 hour, I can detect a very prominent lavender. The lavender is very natural smelling so if you dig that smell you might like PE.
It does have a metalic smell to it. The entire accord is VERY cold. So I don't suggest you wear this on a date.

PE is probably one of the best professional scents out there, it comes across very manly and elegant. Pretty versatile too cause I would love to smell this during hot summer days and it's strong enough to last during winter (trust me where I live is pretty cold and windy in the 30Fs)
Feb 13, 2020

Really getting to me after 7 hours of repetitive, linear, aquaticness. The sweetness is not edible, and not noticeably cloying, but after so long it really needs to stop!. And I eat frog legs, gator, raw oysters, sashimi, sushi, etc...

Well blended, but boring, pedestrian, and done before a thousand times.

Great for Mad Men types, maybe?

Pass me the Boss, Ho Hang Club, or Woodcut and get me out of this 90's commercial nightmare, pronto!
Feb 5, 2020

Show more reviews of Platinum Égoïste...

Add your review of Platinum Égoïste