Percival

About Percival by Parfums de Marly

Parfums de Marly

Where to buy Percival

Reviews of Percival by Parfums de Marly

There are 12 reviews of Percival by Parfums de Marly.

If you are looking for a live jazz replacement this is it. Its a mainstream blue but i love the coriander note that comes to front here and its why i loved live jazz.
Sep 6, 2021

Percival is too generic for the PDM line. It's easy to wear, nice smelling, but not distinct in any way. Aromatic citrus top notes, over a lavender, violet mid and woody musk base, super amplified with aroma-chemicals, but in a deft and skilled way. It runs across many Versace, Montblanc and Banana Republic offerings but with five times the performance and ten times the price. I'll pass on it.
Aug 12, 2021

This is a product that gets very mixed reviews online, mostly due to the combination of its steep price tag and the familiarity of the olfactory experience that a lot of people consider it to provide. Many people out there say that this is basically a designer fragrance with a niche fragrance price tag.

It gets compared to Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce and Mont Blanc Legend. I have not had the chance to smell the former, but I own the latter, and I have to agree that, in a very general manner, Percival and Legend both feature lavender and bergamot as notes that really stand out. So, there is, indeed, a similarity.

In the fascinating world of fragrances, details matter quite a bit, and more often than not, subtleties in the accords of the notes, the strength or moderation of even the slightest notes can make all the difference in the world. And more often than not, this can be a major differentiator between an expensive niche fragrance and its clone, or a Mont Blanc Legend and a Percival. And this explains why I do like Legend, but I'm absolutely in love with Percival.

Among the details that turn this baby into a totally different experience are the fantastic base notes. I find that the musk note, especially, really has a lot to do with the magic here. As a base note, it just really carries the top and mid notes beautifully and constantly makes them fade in throughout the first few hours in a calculated yet powerful manner...and really efficiently.

Is it a ground-breaking scent? Not at all. It is a fresh, clean, blue-ish type of scent whose formula is reminiscent of cheaper designer fragrances that's unlikely to garner a whole lot of "What are you wearing?" type of questions from fragrance aficionados that lean on the connoisseur side of the aisle. But, given that such fragrance aficionados do not constitute such a large portion of the population that you're likely to encounter on a daily basis, I do not see this as such a big deal, as most well-known online reviewers among the fragrance community seem to find. Yes, this is mass-appealing, and incredibly versatile. It's an all-year round scent that you can wear on basically any occasion, and it will get you tons of compliments.

This has way more depth and roundedness than Legend's linear, squarely lavender-driven scent, and it takes probably three sprays of Legend to get the projection of a single spray of Percival, and it will not match its longevity either. So the steep price tag is not so unjustified, if you ask me, but I can understand why someone would differ.

To me, Percival is the Mona Lisa of fresh scents, as its relatively familiar combination of notes blend in a deeply elegant, sophisticated way and its phenomenal quality is undeniable with stellar projection and sillage, and a longevity that puts 99% of fragrances out there to shame. I was at a pool party one afternoon and wore ONE spray, and people around were noticing. I jumped into the pool and stayed in the water for 15 minutes and I could still smell it on my skin afterwards, and for much of the evening. This is some seriously strong juice.

So, is it fair to say that this is a designer fragrance with a niche fragrance price tag? I would disagree, mainly because of its superior quality, the way the notes blend together beautifully and its amazing performance. It is a very safe pick if you're looking for a crowd pleaser and a versatile scent, and yes, it is expensive, although you can find it on certain discount sites. The pyramid of notes might make you think otherwise, but the roundedness, incredible performance and tiny details take it a step above similar designer fragrances. So, to be fair, while this is not a daring scent at all, this is very sweet craft...niche house type of craft too.

One of my go-to's!
May 11, 2021

Parfums de Marly Percival smells like a Dove "masculine" scented body wash or an Axe body spray. It's like what you would smell wafting from the community shower at a YMCA.
Apr 14, 2020

This is so uninteresting, another "blue frag" like many before it. It's a very clear combination of two well-known, cheap designer scents: AF Fierce and Montblanc Legend. IMO it's no better than either of them (it might actually be worse), and at several times the price that comparison is laughable. Why anyone would spend $200/300 on this is beyond me.
Feb 26, 2020

I finally found the perfect use for this fragrance, flying long haul!

Anually I do a couple/few long haul flights 10-13hrs+. I was tossing up between Percival, GIT or Original Vetiver.

Yep I picked Percival and this thing rocked! The whole time from leaving home until arriving at my destination 18 hours later I was catching whiffs.

It is such a clean, pleasant shower gel type feel. If you want to stand out i do not recommend this but it will sure keep you smelling shower clean for a long time!

I do really enjoy this but i do not think it's worth the price point.

7.5/10

Nov 20, 2019

Show more reviews of Percival...

Add your review of Percival