Peloponnesian
Strange Invisible Perfumes (2010)

Overall

About Peloponnesian by Strange Invisible Perfumes

Reviews of Peloponnesian by Strange Invisible Perfumes

There are 2 reviews of Peloponnesian by Strange Invisible Perfumes.

A disclaimer: I tested this line in the store both on testing strips as well as on skin (for some of them), but because I don’t have samples to study in more detail, this is more of a snapshot than a fully fledged analytical review. I usually spend quite a bit more time with scents before I cobble together my thoughts, so do with it what you will.

I did not spend as much time with this, but in brief, it’s got a strong musk akin to what’s in Musc Botanique—sour, stale, ambrette/marine-like, but here it’s paired up with coniferous notes rather than frankincense. The coniferous notes seem fine, but lean more toward teal than dark greens—a cypress and sage combination. I didn’t try this on my skin, so I really couldn’t speak to the performance in the way that I can with some of the others, but I will say that there are other coniferous scents that I’d rather wear. If you’re looking for a sage-y coniferous thing with some sour musk notes, then this could be worth seeking out. Aside from that, it’s more of a show piece that’s highlighting expensive materials and creating a fairly effective headspace of a forest hike.
May 3, 2014

Let me start of by saying, I had no idea what to expect when I got this as a gift. I had heard of Strange Invisible Perfumes in the past and had simply dismissed the house on the basis that I did not care much for "botanical" perfumes that smelled more of nature than anything else. However, I was completely misguided in my assumptions.

When I first opened this box, which I have to say is a very beautiful design by the way, I immediately thought that I would be trading or selling this fragrance in no time at all. After that first initial spray, I thought that it wasn't for me. It opens up with a very natural orange blossom that smells of spring orchids in full bloom and juicy limes. Very floral/citrus at this point and I had thought that was the end of my journey.

Alas, I had been a fool and thought that the journey ended in the orchids without knowing that I had almost stepped off of a cliff into an ocean. The scent quickly evolves with the inclusion of honey, earth, and the scent of the sea itself. The smell of grapes is also apparent (the vineyard note I presume) and in combination create a quite unique blend. Do not think that this means that the fragrance is "juicy" or "fruity" as it remains dry throughout.

If you have ever imagined what it would smell like to live on a Mediterranean island with a citrus grove in bloom with the sea breeze gently wafting through it, than you have found your scent.

Simply giving this scent a thumbs up seems a disservice.
Apr 3, 2013