Pathetique fragrance notes

• black truffle, bergamot, incense, juniper, black pepper, burnt woods, moss, mimosa, vetiver, amyris

Where to buy

Latest Reviews of Pathetique

A mixed sweetness at first. A mysterious sweet. There is a vague waxiness. An old, earthy soil note underneath - must be the truffle. I get a holiday candle accord. A great, expensive candle smell. The sweetness morphs into a delightful incense smell. Mimosa is present. It is a happy note. It's smile inducing. Nothing pathetic, here.

This continually moves in a positive direction. That waxiness begins to verge towards a starch accord. This fragrance seems to become daintier as it moves on. Sweetness changes, moves into a light honey. Pathetique seems to take on an ethereal floral feel. I thought I'd get more of a woodsy-forest flavor, but I do not.

In fresh air, outdoors, I get more hints of earth and juniper. I smell vanilla throughout, even though it isn't listed as a note... A sweet, woody aroma lingers on for hours. Nice!
15th May 2019
I didn't do any analyzing of this fragrance at all. I tried directly on skin from a shared sample vial, and all I thought was "MORE."
28th September 2018

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! Warm, woody, smoky, sweet; even though there's no vanilla or chocolate in this, that's what I get – a rich, creamy, smoky chocolate, with the black pepper giving it a kick of heat. The longevity is quite frankly amazing – I put this on at eight in the morning and I could still smell it, clearly, well over twelve hours later, and that was from just one spray. I love how this evolved over the day – that spicy, smoky, chocolaty note became more pronounced as the day wore on, not in an in-your-face way, but rather like sitting in front of the fireplace, with a nice big mug of spiced hot chocolate, and inhaling the fragrant steam. I love it, and given the longevity, I would seriously consider a full bottle at some stage. Thanks to purecaramel for the sample!
4th June 2017
Pathetique is one of the most dry and foward criticism of Angelo to the perfume industry as the name says it all. It's a mock of what marketing has become in the perfume industry, with all the perfume dinasties, fancy imaginary materials and fake royalty histories. The way the name is written on the bottle and it's described shows that this intentions here are ones of bringing back (or bringing for the first time) the ethical path to perfumery again (path etique).

This certainly works because of the wonderful and sensual scent that unfolds on skin. It is for me one of the sunniest moments in Angelo's work as a whole. The languid impression that i feel on Satyricon base is the mood here overall, like a kind of feline enjoying the spot of sun in the middle of the afternoon. It opens with a beautiful honey flower impression that is set against of a quite coconut woody aroma - this is certainly an effect gave by a proeminent use of amyris wood, which has in itself this woody coconut sensation. Then you get a green berry-like aroma that is contrasted with something slightly aldehydic and woody and at this moment i feel like Satyricon is channeling a compact shape of Givenchy masterpiece Insensee. It settles down to a cozy and slightly incensy woody base that lingers on skin with very subtle sweet tones. Overall, it's a fragrance that gives me a relaxing and honest experience. The path is simple: do very good fragrances that speak for itself. They don't need to please everyone with generic marketing ploys, they just need to be genuine and well orchestrated. That this has to be reinforced at this moment of the game it's what is really pathetic in the perfume industry.
15th April 2017
This reminds me of Serge Lutens Chergui, and I was on the fence between neutral and like with that one before the sweet, long-lasting base won me over. Pathetique is similar in having a challenging, unfamiliar-as-a-perfume opening that I could grow to appreciate. It is interesting to wear, but not quite for me.
7th July 2016
Pathetique unexpectedly blows my old synapses as one of the absolutely best Pregoni's eccentric creations. Honestly a great surprise that anyway just confirms the Angelo Orazio's (by many of us yet well known) immense olfactory talent. Previously a praising word over all the others: uniqueness, yes, a rare quality, veritable peculiarity. Honestly I've never tested on skin something really close to this elusive stuff and while my interconnective nose enjoys playing the game of connections I can't seriously pick up a juice really-really similar to O'Driu' Pathetique. Second, I catch in here a remarkable "detachment/departure" from the classic O'driuesque vegetal-culinary (basically visceral, rural) "apparatus" since I get in here something far more modern, velvety, refined/silky, lounge/ambient and kind of fancy-chic. The juice starts by soon less bitter-sparkling (than usual for the brand) and more silky, something immediately more approachable and wearable (and it does not mean at all banal, synthetic or simplistic). I could find out vague (but really vague, somewhat evanescent) points in common with scents a la Slumberhouse Ore, Tom Ford Noir de Noir (the previously mentioned scents being the ones more "relatively" closely conjuring me Pathetique), Cacharel Nemo, the sharper Parfumerie Generale Aomassai 10, several Histoires de Parfums or Parfum d'Empire Cuir Ottoman (considered in particular scant moments of its run) but Pathetique is something basically diverse and I frankly find quite hard picking up around the right words to fully describe its dodgy substance and the main shades of the final aroma. First of all this creative stuff is a semi-gourmand with buttery-leathery (kind of simil suedish) and gassy molecules imo. What does the juice seem smelling like? Well, frankly I get a musky-resinous (the base) accord of (ostensible) powdery iris (or stuffs like that), vegetal mold (mushrooms??), slightly buttery cocoa, pepper/nutmeg, frankincense, smooth vetiver, suede, wax and something bitter/herbal/licoricey (could it be the note of amyris??). Anyway, probably the officially listed notes are just partial or incomplete since I can't stop catching the overmentioned "presences" on skin. The juice starts kind of liquorous, spicy, incensey and leathery. Opening is pure heaven, you can catch by soon mild piquant spices go merging with something almost buttery, mossy and darkly dusty (kind of cocoa conjuring). I get woods, powdery floral notes, something bitter-earthy and a final wave of silky suede and oakmoss. This modern mystical approach hides a more classic woodsy-ambery-aromatic (warmly chypre, subtle, refined and classic/distinguished) dry down. The balance is superb, also the more "molecular" opening is anyway "well measured" and tamed. The inebriating hypnotic dustiness (pepper, piquant sweet spices, kind of powdered sugar and frankincense) is always on this side of the fence and the silky-fancy dry down is quite dry (almost poudre) and softly talky (in a darkly woody/amberish way). The general atmosphere is quite elusive, bright/dark (chiaroscuro), vaguely gassy and "transfigured". A devilish sleight of hand by Angelo Orazio Pregoni, an aroma's illusionist, an alchemical wizard, a real painter in perfumery (one of the very few in the niche section), a profoundely struggling soul which expresses itself far better by manipulating aromatic notes than by useless words (respectfully, yes, since words are useless if you are such a talented creator). Keep on inebriating us Angelo and let your creations telling everything.
9th February 2016
I suppose one mark of "a work of genius" is the disagreement it arouses. If so, Pathetique is the brilliant achievement its creator claims. For me, or perhaps on me, it is simply and literally nauseating. It was on a list of perfumes I wanted to try based on the extraordinary descriptions it's been given. Instead of the half-ounce decant I hoped for, my husband bought me a couple of ounces of the stuff. I don't smell anything anyone else has described, with the possible exception of pepper and vanilla. I have an excellent nose and palate, and I prefer the original versions of perfumes of the 20's through 50's. As a benchmark, I love Bois des Isles, Habanita, and Detchema. I have worn Dans la Nuit and le Dix with pleasure. Pathetique starts with a top note of sweet pastries, moves through the hard-to-identify, and eventually develops a vague aura of burning tires. I find it quite long-lived, and sickening. It is without doubt the essence of surrealist perfume, presumably a personal in-joke by Pregoni, but its PR is its primary value.
26th December 2015
Angelo Orazio Pregoni, thank you for sharing your truth through this treasure. Facing our own realities we can all find a Pathétique moment to share. I feel your pain and celebrate this master stroke of clarity in anguished nirvana. Bellissimo!
25th October 2015
Pathetique is so far the worst perfume from this house. It smells like sweaty armpits that haven't been washed for weeks and you try to cover up the smell with a cheap deodorant.
25th October 2015
Beauty.

Drawn to the memory, of the Masculine hand drawing, no caressing across the curvature of the Feminine on the beach.

Aaaand.

The moments, after climax when a Masculine body and soul are most at Peace and overwhelmed by Such.

Truffles, Chocolate, Art, Creativity.

Pregoni asks to participate. Or not.

Choose the former.

One will see. Spicy Pepper, Cedar and Juniper, Creamy Suntan Lotion and sliced Truffles, Chocolate, Frangelico.

"Compelling, honest, true creativity at its best." Maillard.
7th September 2015
This will be yet another pathetic chapter about this perfume!
In fact it is not so normal that those who created a perfume also make its review. But there are two good reasons for this:
firstly we are in 2015 and internet is a popular media, the equivalent of being Modigliani and talking about your own work of art in a local for loser people of Montmartre;
secondly I'm going to die in 2023 so I have not much time to get rich and I hope this review will help me to sell more fragrances!

This perfume is my best work! Not surprisingly this isn't considered the one in the bloggers opinion. Few of the early modern masters got rich off their work; some died in bitter poverty. This is pathetic: Romantic tales of starving artists in picturesque Parisian garrets notwithstanding, the pioneers of modernism endured rejection, ridicule and often extreme privation and hardship to give expression to their extraordinary vision. Do I think myself as one of them? Sure, cause I'm a poor man and, as those artists, I know to be an artist. A time, you can only be thankful that I persevered.

Yes, of course! I'm evoking or expressing pity… This is so normal in niche… Pathétique is a French word, via Latin from Greek pathetikos, sensitive, from pathos suffering.
It is not easy to talk about the concept of this fragrance, the last time I tried (with a Russian blogger who did not know who were kandinsky) it was a tragedy!
I know that sometimes, talking about a perfume, we give importance to raw materials, and we look for easy feelings.
In other words this attitude is the attribution of human qualities to inanimate objects, it is another definition of pathetic.
So it was necessary to give birth to Gian Clod, a perfumer for the fate that met Rosin Patè Dudù, his muse, an Italian lady who has invested the money from the sale of her husband taxi to create a new brand of perfumes, with a French name: Pathétique. These characters represent the emotions, the feelings and views of many niche brands.
All that has been achieved without investing a penny in marketing, using an Iphone (and of course brain too) to shoot some short films. The result has been to attract the antipathy of the whole world of niche perfumery! I wonder why... A blogger depressed (as Kafka was) wrote: “ It's hard to talk about Pathetique without talking about its creator. Mr. Pregoni's character is part of everything, from the scent to its press release description and his interviews about it. My initial impression was that Mr. Pregoni was a progressive free-spirit who sought to work outside the lines out of genuine intellectual artistry, and whose approach was driven purely by a self-deprecating, whimsical sense of humour. I think I was mistaken. Several recent reports from people within the perfume industry that were told to me privately show a very different side to Mr. Pregoni…” One of the tragedies of bloggers is that they have too many friends and they come to believe that something said by someone, perhaps for illustrative or provocation purposes, actually represents that person. If the purpose of an artist is to create a provocation (which etymologically means “to call ahead”) someone had called himself back! Pathétique was conceived as a provocation. My other perfumes are different. If people smell my other fragrances then they are quite different. Pathétique is the only one of mine where my intention was to provoke the audience using raw materials really trivial: starting from a pathetic childhood memory of a sun lotion that my mother used on the beach. In full Oedipus complex, I found the smell of coconut and bergamot terribly sexy! This perfume is therefore commercial? Probably its ingredients may be, but no one can judges the type of white or black with which Picasso created his Guernica. This scent is an open door for true artists, for those brands that are independent from the business world and subjugated by liars. This scent is a closed door to all those perfumers/employees who had nothing to say as they continue to work for famous inspiring unknown persons. This perfume is a work of art, representing the diversity, the originality into banality, it is a symbol. Pathétique is Path Etique, the anti-marketing perfume.

P.S.
Gian Clod probably could not know that, after months and months in which he was photographed with his teddy bear tied on his chest, that same happy bear would become the packaging of another scent that defies the laws of marketing, I think by Moschino.
13th May 2015
I love some of the older O'Driu scents, and I can appreciate the populist direction-shift he's taken, but this one's not up to much. It's a woody, balmy, chocolate scent that feels like less substantial version of Ore. There are medicinal facets that sneak through, and something distinctly grassy – which serves as an odd contrast to the cocoa (which dominates) – but that's really all there is to it. It dries down to a semi-mossy, vetiver affair that smells a tad chlorinated. And somehow (not sure how), it lasts for an insane amount of time. Overall, it reminds me of those industrial hot cocoa packets you sometimes see by a water-coolers – a sort of not-quite-cocoa kind of effect. So, unless you're die-hard O'Driu fan (which is understandable given his range), or you're after a strange, medicinal, almost metallic cocoa, I'd skip this one and maintain hope that he returns to what he does best – apothecary-style animalic stinkers. Characterful, but a far cry from his best work.
5th March 2015