Reviews of Patchouli Leaves

Overall

Patchouli Leaves by Montale

Add your review of Patchouli Leaves

Reviews of Patchouli Leaves by Montale

There are 38 reviews of Patchouli Leaves by Montale.

Patchouli galore.

A dark (not only the colour of the juice) patchouli that explodes on my skin, rich and intense, with a discreetly resinous undertone, but, surprisingly, it is rather smooth. It lacks harshness and sharpness - this is no Purple Patchouli and comes across as much softer that Tom Ford's paradigmatic creation. Soon, quite soon, it is accompanied by an amber note that is equally brooding but remains an accompaniment only; nothing dents the predominance of the patchouli leaves here.

The main notes that contribute to the mix and add additional shades and variations are a nice labdanum, as well as a vanilla note that adds sone sweetness, although the latter is also provided by the judicious application of some white musks towards the end. Whiffs wood, oak mainly, as well of a slightly bitter cocoa, act as a counterbalance and keep the sweetness in check.

I get strong sillage, excellent projection, and a good nine hours in my skin.

This scent for warmer winter evenings is a luscious patchouli creation that is a good choice for someone who wants to explore patchouli compositions but dislikes the grating sharpness that they sometimes display. It is a bit linear at times, but overall it offers just enough development to entice. 3.75/5

Rampant promiscuity seemed like the only attractive feature of hippiedom for me (of course they preferred to call it ‘free love'). The flares, the music, the flowers in the hair passed me by; peace, yes, well I wouldn't quarrel with peace. But the ultimate repellent seemed to be the hippie juice – patchouli oil – which seemed standard issue; I couldn't imagine getting up close and tumescent with anyone reeking of the stuff.
Over the years my attitude to patchouli has matured a bit. I realize that its full throttle expressiveness can take the wearer on a journey, that its intensity has rewards, helping draw together sensation and emotion into a palpable rush. But it is a scent I still always approach with caution and could never think of wearing every day; I need to be in a frame of mind capable of channelling its power.
All that throat-clearing is just to say that one needs that receptivity to love Montale's Patchouli Leaves. It's a one-spray perfume presenting a huge but properly rounded patchouli realization – the narcotic main event ringed first with enticing humid soil and phenolic accents and then gathering up a creamy, dark chocolate layer before yeasty vanilla and a rich amber base finish the experience. All the time it stays true to its dominating ingredient – patchouli – nothing in the composition deviates from it. This singlemindedness has won it many fans. I won't argue with them, but my own preference is for something a bit more characterful, a point of imbalance even, say the Lethe-like darkness and density of Goutal's Mon Parfum Cherie Par Camille, the booziness of Patchouli Antique or the smoke-and-wood luxuriousness of my current patchouli fave, Meo Fusciuni's Narcotico.

Now THIS is patchouli! Raw, earthy, rich, and creamy! I own a few other patchouli-rich scents but this takes top honors in my book. It's a sillage monster, lasts FOREVER, and is addictive in it's dry-down. If you pay close attention when you spray it on your wrist, the juice is dark brown -- how befitting. My first impression of this was 'How am I going to pull this beast off?'. Having worn it for a couple of months now I say 'How can I NOT wear this beautiful beast?'. If you are a seeking a non-muted patchouli scent that doesn't hide behind too many fences then you need to try this. Thankfully you can pick this up discounted and avoid the ridiculous full price mark-ups. Pull out your best paisley shirt and go to town!

Beautiful scent, the patchouli is not too overbearing if you're afraid of it or don't like it. The vanilla comes on fairly quickly, reminds me of a sweeter Caron Pour un Homme. Lasts forever, and the patchouli comes back again, could still smell on skin next day.

Patchouli Leaves by Montale. From first spray I get a rich, earthy patchouli, with vanilla, amber and musk underneath. The patchouli, vanilla and amber are prominent, and the musk comes through late and semi replaces the amber. Not for everyone because you have to like patchouli, so try before you buy.  Average sillage, but it stays linear for an eternity. Right up my alley, and a definite Thumbs Up for me.

Out of the vaguely familial group of ambery, vanillic patchoulis, I find Patchouli Leaves to be the most satisfying and comforting. The marketing copy for this boasts that the patchouli leaves for this fragrance were first soaked in vanilla extract and then left to macerate for two whole years in an oak barrel. The top notes, consisting of insanely rich but dry patchouli that has a raisin-like booziness to it, like aged cognac, suggest that this might in fact be true.

The dark, boozy patchouli is joined very quickly by a buttery, warm vanilla and amber that serve to sweeten the mix. All in all, the impression is of a warm, golden river of almost drinkable, spiced brown patchouli, boozy vanilla, and thick amber. In fact, Patchouli Leaves is easily the friendliest patchouli fragrance out there. It is mouth-wateringly good; almost gourmand in a way. The amber is slightly resinous, adding at parts a slight roughness to break up the smooth vanillic undertow and a touch of powder towards the end. This is not for people who like their patchoulis raw or as they might say, ‘authentic', since the patchouli here has been shorn of its claws and stripped of its menace. But my God, it is sexy and rich and as comfortable as putting on a great big woolly sweater over your work clothes when you come in from the rain.

Genre: Woods

Patchouli and amber. Amber and patchouli. Patchouli Leaves is sweet, dark, rich, and sensuous. The amber and patchouli sit on a base of viscous vanilla, and the whole composition unfolds in a gratifyingly warm, smooth manner. I consider this a simple fragrance, but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable. It fills the same role for me as several other thick amber and patchouli scents, including Mazzolari Patchouli, Profumum's Patchouly, and Les Nereides Patchouli Antique, being a bit sweeter than most, and leaning more heavily on the amber as well. Interestingly, it is less tenacious on my skin than other heavy patchouli fragrances.

A decent patchouli featuring Montale's signature dull and unsubstantial plasticity: nuances ranging from rubbery, balsamic, dusty to salty and nutty, a woody base powdered with vanillin and that's it. You can hardly make a "soliflore" of patchouli smell bad, and in fact Patchouli Leaves it's not bad: if you like the note, patchouli smells always good, and here it is all about that – a full, dry patchouli. Nonetheless, "not smelling wrong" is obviously not enough to stand out from the crowd or however, does not turn into smelling good or great: and in fact, this is quite dull – decent, but dull. Not because of the fact it's basically a mono-note scent, but because of its quality – it's synthetic, pale, plain and mute like a school exercise. I would personally place this next to other low-quality patchouli's like Reminescence and that market segment, miles below the great ones like Etro and the very good ones like Patchouli Nobile. I'd define it unassuming and unpretentious, if it wasn't for the annoying and unjustified "niche look" (and pricing) of Montale.

5,5-6/10

The earthy aspect of patchouli, and the warm stone-scent aspects of cistus labdanum are the thread that joins these two key players in Patchouli Leaves. Sweetness isn't hidden, but certainly isn't pushed to the front. I find the patch that is there exactly the viscous, hippy patch that I was looking for. But it's perfectly matched by amber, vanilla, and musk, which might make it sound candy sweet, but it isn't. They serve to add a rounded, cushioned feel. The whole fragrance reads like patchouli on a stack of pillows.

Another fragrance based on a single note where the patchouli represents the backbone of the smell and the other notes, i mean amber, herbs, may be some spice and woods, whirl around the main element just in order to characterize it. First of all this fragrance starts its projection, and basically holds on to carry out, as an earthy patchouli far from the syrupy temperament of fragrances as Borneo 1834,  although  is not so straightforward  as the Etro Patchouli and others. The main note appears after a sort of herbal and aromatic starting and takes the scene till the end being just a bit softened  by the insertion of woods on a base of amber with a minimal whiff of vanilla. The note of oak is listed and i get it as that woody element that characterizes the vibe of patchouli for the main part of the development, till when it becomes obscure, a bit resinous,  ambery and as many have written chocolatey ( as a dark chocolate because the smell is averagely sharp and the amber on the side of vanilla tame a bit the rootiness and make a whiff  of obscure smoothness to carry out). I detect a touch of metal and humidity in the middle phase but I'm not able to qualify that feel and its provenance. Longevity and projection of this dark scent are really impressive.

Wow, this is totally overrated. No, it doesn't smell bad, but I have smelled so many niche patchouli fragrances that smell like this - you know, the typical heavy patchouli oriental that is weighed down by sweet amber.

Bois 1920's Real Patchouly, Mazzolari's Patchouli, Kolnisch Juchten... and on and on - you've smelled this before. There is nothing even remotely unique or inspired about Patchouli Leaves. Sure, you can smell the patchouli note loud and clear, but it doesn't take long for the leaden caramellic amber to hijack the whole fragrance. I'm getting tired of all these sugary patchouli scents that seem to cater to people who are afraid of patchouli.

Although this is not a bad fragrance, I don't like it because it's too sweet and too boring. I like a rip roaring patchouli frag, not this wimpy stuff. This is like the perfume equivalent of a box of Sugar Corn Pops.

MY RATING: 5/10

Several years ago I was eating outdoors at a restaurant in Provincetown Mass. A woman walked by my table and was wearing a beautiful patchouli cologne. When she walked past my table again, I asked her what it was. She said "patchouli by Etro". Since then I've been buying Etro pachouli online. Simply the best - at least on me. However, recently when trying to replenish my stock I found that it was unavailable. I got a hold of the Etro boutique in New York but they wanted $150 to ship me a bottle. So I went to the Lucky Scent website, read a bunch of reviews and ordered samples of Indonesiano, Nobile, Noir, Patchoulissime, Antique, Patchouli Homme by de Nicolai, Patchouli Patch and Patchouli Leaves. Patchouli Leave smells the most like Etro. Strong, clean, but not simply "one note". It's not Etro, but it's good enough for me to wear.

Wow. It's been a while since I last smelled a patchouli scent as robust. There is a dark green almost herbal quality to it that makes 'PATCHOULI LEAVES' such an appropriate name. I find it rather chypre-like to be honest, with a simmering warmth that is just shy of sweetness. One marketing spiel even has it described as 'patchouli leaves macerated over two years in an oak trunk.' For once, I don't find all that hard to believe - the oak wood is indeed prominent. It does however veer towards the masculine side of things though chypre-wearing ladies should not find it too difficult to wear. Projection and tenacity is Montale-certified, giving this superlative fragrance an emphatic 'two thumbs up'.

Or. Gasmic.

My girlfriend suggested I use "smellgasm" or something similar but I just felt, in my bones, that it wouldn't do this superlative scent justice. A part of me dies a little death each time I wear it. One would have to search to find a knock on this scent, and I don't feel compelled to do that. Still, if forced, I'd say it's linear, but in this case the linear patchouli is so unbelievably fine that you don't want or need anything more. In an incident sure to have amused the therapists already, my aunt refused to let me go after she gave an otherwise innocent hug during which she discovered my Patchouli Leaves. My goodness this stuff is dangerously divine.

As patchouli is a favorite note of mine, I am not surprised to be in love with this fragrance. Montale continues to impress me with the quality and longivity of its frangrances. This is a dry, earthy, even tempered rendition of patchouli. Upon first application it seems extremely bracing, like my alarm clock in the morning before work. The patchouli is most evident, after a bit, woody notes come in and soften the sharp edge. This scent stays true to patch/wood notes on me, it does not turn sweet. I cannot detect the amber, vanilla or musk, but that isn't a bother, I love this scent from start to finish, and believe me, it takes a long while to finish. The longivity is nothing short of epic, but most of Montale's offerings fit this bill. I don't find this quite as resinous as Borneo 1834, I can see the comparisons, but the two are quite different. All in all, I can see this as a "must try" for fans of patchouli.

I'll tell you what I got with wearing this- old book pages in a library vanilla and I loved it. I'm going to own this some day (I hope). I sit down on the sofa and wear this as I read a book and it's so comforting to me. Funny thing how some different perfumes evoke different states of minds. This one makes me feel comfortable and it's a fragrance unlike any of the floral ones. I just love it as it does remind me of autumn.OK, now that I own it... the first 6 minutes are hard to get through, since something in there doesn't smell pretty. If I'm patient, it unfolds into something I like to wear. I can really smell this one on me. It's that vanilla ( I think) kind of a mustiness goodness.

To me this smells like SL Ambre Sultan mixed with some Montale Blue Amber. It is extraordinarily tenacious and long lasting. It is a beautiful scent but just far too strong for me to wear.

Powerful and flawlessly handcrafted blunt patchouli scent. I love it although it's probably not the most compelling patchouli scent I have tried.I love the way the supporting ingredients are engaged with patchouli making the structure very creamy (dark) chocolate-like. I see why someone can see this smelling quite medicinal too and even hippie-ish (Aaargh!).Simple, rich and round scent that is on the butch side – definitely. It lasts forever, and I mean it….It just doesn't seem to vanish from the skin at all if you don't shower.Patchouli Leaves makes me think of resinous, gummy dark chocolate plate that has a brown velvet winding sheet.Wonderful stuff.

I love this juice! On me, it starts out with a very surprising coldness that one one else seems to have mentioned. In fact, it's like a big scoop of Mint Chocolate Patchouli ice cream on me for the first 5 minutes. It develops quickly and warms into a loamy patchouli within 15 to 30 minutes on my skin, but it starts out as patchouli wearing a winter coat of bracing green (mint and/or lime and/or lavendar) and dark chocolate-oak boots. Granted, this feeling of coolness is very fleeting. It begins morphing almost immediately into a warmer patchouli and amber brew with a touch of vanilla. This patchouli/amber/vanilla dry down lasts for hours, continually warming until it becomes less about patchouli and more about amber (about 12 hours later). During the patchouli/amber/vanilla drydown, I somtimes layer other scents on top. (My favorite combo is PL with Gris Clair by Serge Lutens. My 2nd favorite combo is PL with Neroli by Anick Goutal.)

Like eating dark chocolate with your lover under a tree after it has rained.

I got a sample of this last august and wore it almost everyday that autumn while walking my dog in the swedish woods. This smells like the woods. Sweet, dry, powerful, earthy, serene. And it has the most beautiful deep brown colour. However, there is a lot of amber here. A LOT. A very beautiful fragrance that works amazing is the autumn.

The first thing I smelled when I sprayed Patchouli Leaves on my arm was oak. And not just a little bit of oak, but, instead, freshly worked oak that has been burnished by the hot edge of a tool. My only other experience of smelling oak in relation to patchouli is in Caron Yatagan, which is a sort of inky oak that is in keeping with the aromatic nature of the fragrance, whereas the oak in Patchouli Leaves disappears as the sweet base develops.For the first half hour there is also a metallic note that is neither interesting nor unpleasant. I can't work out where it comes from or where it goes.The patchouli is deep, earthy, and moist, and is a pleasure to wear.As the amber and vanilla come into play the base becomes progressively sweeter until the patchouli takes on an edible spiced chocolate note. I didn't expect the patchouli to become chocolatey, but I have to say that I quite like it.Longevity is very good, and sillage is moderate.