Patchouli Intense / Patchouli Homme

Overall

About Patchouli Intense / Patchouli Homme by Nicolaï

Nicolaï

Reviews of Patchouli Intense / Patchouli Homme by Nicolaï

There are 32 reviews of Patchouli Intense / Patchouli Homme by Nicolaï.

As with many Nicolaï fragrances, you have to ignore the name. This is not a patchouli bomb. Nevertheless, this is one of the best from Nicolaï.

Patchouli Intense is a resolutely "French," dressed-up creamy blend of spices, florals, and a patchouli-amber base. The closest thing to it I've come across is Sheikh Al Faransi, which does a similar, albeit simpler, spicy-floral effect, but centers its base around ambergris.

The blending is artful, with a dense, layered set of notes that seem staged in an impressively precise dance. To pick out the individual notes here is less important than to enjoy the nuanced, dynamic contrasting levels of spicy and smooth, sweet and bitter. All of this unfolds without breaking its "starched shirt" classicism.

I find myself returning to Nicolaï's fragrances again and again because they are the rare modern works of perfumery that feel as though they have been truly finessed in that old, wonderful Guerlain way. They are thoughtfully calibrated and carefully controlled.
Nov 20, 2021

Words really can't do this justice.

Patchouli Intense is perfumery perfection to my nose and mind. A complete work of art. One of the few fragrances that could literally bring a tear to my eye. Something so beautiful. It takes over my senses and consumes me.

There are reminders of Coromandel. Not that they smell the same. But in the way they are constructed. Both are blended so superbly that it is extremely hard to identify individual notes. Both contain patchouli which is always in the background rather than dominating. Both smell typically 'French'. Although I will add that Patchouli Intense might just be the most 'French' smelling fragrance I have yet to encounter.

The opening of PI is quite feminine. It doesn't start the way the name would imply. There is a sweet prettiness. There are hints of orange, cinnamon and rose. The mid is where the fragrance really shines. The patchouli starts to come though, alongside frankincense and a bay rum type note. The drydown becomes much more masculine. The patchouli is still there but mainly dominated by sandalwood with a touch of amber and vanilla. No one note is obvious. It's a symphony of notes interacting to create one beautiful song.

I can understand how someone that wants a really raw patchouli could be disappointed but if you go into this knowing that patchouli only plays a supporting role you are surely in for a treat.

It really doesn't get much better than this.

Performance is outstanding.

Jan 29, 2021

Man does Patricia Nicolai know how to combine notes. I bought this based on some reviews and my love of NEW YORK INTENSE.
One of those blind buys we fantasize about: freaking blown mind minutes after first spritz to chest.

It is not as noted by others a "patch bomb." If that is what you seek, look elsewhere. But if the lovely interplay of notes in NY INTENSE grabs you, odds are you will love this.

Shockingly potent-- lasted through a shower and still tantalizing wafts were coming up from chest. An unexpected and lovely beast on me.

Somewhat conjures up the 80s sandalwood/patchouli powerhouse bombs, but in a cleaned up,modernized way.

Don't know how I lived without this.
May 16, 2020

This incredibly handsome patchouli-fougere-mousse fragrance is thick and rich as shaving cream. I call it a mousse fragrance because it very well may be just as much about the wet, well-lathered moss as it is about green patchouli. There's no earthiness to be found here: just a balance between long-lasting, creamy-fougere notes and the more minerally, vitamin-esque side of moss and geranium. Light vanilla peeks through toward the end. I often wear this to work, but sometimes, I even wear it when I'm having a stay-at-home day.
Dec 3, 2019

This is good. It gives me a memory of being in France. It works as a masculine fragrance, as labeled. It would make a virile aftershave. Maybe I've encountered someone in France wearing this. This definitely smells like being in France: in someone's house, in a car.

This came in a sample pack with some Etat Libre d'Orange samples, including Je Suis un Homme, which I preferred to this for being more wearable in my style.

This one, Nicolai Patchouli Homme, is strong, and makes a statement. It smells of essential oils, thick and concentrated. I could imagine it being too much for some people to feel comfortable trying to pull off. I could also imagine people being elated to have a bottle of this, and feeling extreme confidence and mood elevation wearing it. Because of my associations with the smell, it feels like a better fit for someone over 40, even a woman. It's so evocative.

I could imagine someone who wears Yatagan liking this. There's something similar in the boldness, bordering on brash, this one even more so, perhaps.
Apr 22, 2018

I received a 15 ml. travel size of Patchouli Intense as an extra when I purchased a another 100 ml. Nicolaï. It is a bit strange, but in my opinion, wonderful blend. The ingredients seem to work both with and against each other in a curious development. As soon as the top notes begin to fade and the bay rum note kicks in this transformation begins. This is not the bay leaf that goes into soups and stews, but a much sharper, somewhat camphor-like note usually only found in Bay Rum colognes. In a sense, it's the monkey wrench in the mix, but it also provides a crucial bridge into the dry-down along with the soon-to-follow cinnamon and patchouli. When incense and vanilla make their appearance, the whole show is on the road. The bay oil retains its linch-pin position to the end, but as the top notes fade further away, it sets up a new and equally pleasing impression with the base notes.

Some people my find this a stretch, but I think any fragrance fan can appreciate the artistry and bold stroke that it represents. The more Nicolaï creations I get to know, the more my admiration for the artistry of this house grows. I've visited their Rue de Richelieu store on two different trips to Paris, and their personnel are very kind, knowledgeable, and welcoming. Rumor has it the basement there is the location of their laboratory. Intriguing... As always, it's an advantage to speak French if you can...
Aug 15, 2017

Show more reviews of Patchouli Intense / Patchouli Homme...

Add your review of Patchouli Intense / Patchouli Homme