Patchouli fragrance notes

• Base

• Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Cedarwood

Where to buy

Latest Reviews of Patchouli

More of a hardcore patchouli rather than flirting with the note. Comes on really strong for the first 15 or 20 minutes and then settles down. I really like this juice but I still prefer my much loved Patchouli Nobile. PN is cleaner while the Villoresi leans slightly dirty.

12th January 2019
View of Honfleur, one summer morning by Félix Vallotton 1910

11th January 2018

When I was growing up, my Chinese grandmother used to make something that must have had a proper name, but that we all called "Chinese medicine", a mix of Asian herbs and whatnot steeped in some sort of Chinese liquor. It was put on bruises and aches and it had a weird smell I'll never forget. Villoresi's Vetiver reminds me of that smell, boozy and herbal, mentholated to the point that it smells vaguely moldy, and also weirdly grassy. I find it a all bit more challenging than necessary, though it dries down into a fairly nice standard patchouli. It's too interesting to be "bad", but I just don't really like that moldy quality, so I'm going with a neutral rating.
20th September 2015
Genre: Woods

Lorenzo Villoresi's Patchouli is a pretty straightforward interpretation of its title note, expressing more of the herb's minty, astringent aspect than its earthy, quasi-animalic qualities. I don't find much to analyze here, nor to I perceive much development as the scent wears. The patchouli becomes suggestive of pipe tobacco after an hour or so, but otherwise Villoresi's Patchouli runs a linear course before it fades away. It's appeal will depend entirely upon how you feel toward simple, relatively isolated patchouli. My own preference is for more complex treatments of this note, whether in the animalic vein of Parfumerie Générale's Intrigant Patchouli or Parfums de Nicolaï's crisp, aromatic Patchouli Homme.
9th July 2014
Like other Villoresi scents, an "old school" perfume I quite enjoy. Simple, relaxed, nostalgic elegance, a honest and straightforward rendition of patchouli. Rounded and restrained enough to smell refined and wearable, with the right amount of earthiness and "organic" feel. Nothing else to either enhance or "disturb" the patchouli accord, which is free to express its several facets, from earthy/mossy to dusty tobacco. A subtle balsamic breeze with a floral touch enlightens and softens the rooty "severity" of patchouli. Mellow base of sandalwood with a balanced cedar wood touch. Simple, sophisticated, with the perfect amount of rawness without smelling excessive. Great persistence. Old school, in a totally good way, and Villoresi is one of the best when it comes to that. Speaking as patchouli lover, I'd rate this as one of the nicest, safest and most "honest" on the market. Not exactly a distinctive signature scent, more a cozy fragrance to "treat yourself" on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

7,5-8/10
19th May 2014
In my perennial quest for the perfect patchouli, the first minutes after spraying this fragrance fill me with hope: dry, bitter,herbaceous, earthy, camphoraceus- all I ask from a patchouli! But- in Villoresi fragrances there always seems to be a big BUT for me- too quickly, and for too long a time, the fragrance insists too much on the boozy and sweetish facets of patchouli, at the point I feel like I've bathed in "amaro" (an alcoholic infusion of various herbs, popular in Italy as an after dinner drink). Not pleasant at all to wear on my skin, especially in hot weather. In the drydown- the longevity of the fragrance is quite good, eight hours at least- the medicinal bitterness of cedarwood is quite beautiful, but it comes too late, when I'm already exhausted by the sticky sweetness...
25th January 2013
In the course of the first two minutes after the first spray this one jumps out as a sort of fierce mix of Al Oudh L'Artisan Parfumeur and Patchouli by Etro, so dusty, earthy and aromatic in its cloud of incensey, mentholated and aromatic lavender, resins of woods and dry patchouli. As well as sprayed, at least on a paper (unfortunately i didn't taste it on skin), it smells as a sort of less dusty-incensey and more airy Dzongkha. The  prickliness is sheer but on the side of a sort of watery and cool fluidity coming from a starring lavender, a key element in this wonderful and masterly balanced concoction. Spices? I would have said yes at first spray but spices are not listed, it's the earthy patchouli supported by a rooty vetiver and a dusty lavender that produce that sort of prickly and aromatic whiff. The fragrance is almost minty and slightly boise', it doesn't develop too much , is instead linear in flavour and just tends to lose with time its pungency in order to smoothen towards something still aromatic but slightly creamy, smoky and endly talky, something represented by a blend of musks, resins and balsams. The patchouli is really starring but is neither too sharp not too creamy, is just dominant in its ancient, moldy, exotic chessel. The cedarwood is another fundamental note in its neutral and balancing role and its opaque taste is complementary to that one of the same patchouli. A woodsy tribute to a note that is the star of parfumery.
14th November 2011
I bought a whole 100 ml bottle of LV Patchouli back in 2007. Have a whiff of it and it is sitting in my wardrobe. I was arranging my fragrances the day before and now it is somewhere in the back of my cupboard. It is a good scent for a rather confident man but as a woman, I find it too strong for me.
9th May 2009
Simply the best patchouli on perfumery. Masculine, elegant, old in the right way, refined on the right side. Not vanilla, amber or another external sweets elements : patchouli rounded by rose. Quite dark, black point of it. A masterpiece for men.
4th May 2009
Notes:Top: Lavender, PatchouliMiddle: PatchouliBase: Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Cedar, Oakmoss, Musk, BenzoinThe notes pyramid gives the impression that Patchouli is loaded with patchouli, but thats not the case. Yes, theres a good quality patchouli note in there, but there's also a whole lot of other typical Villoresi notes bonanza clamouring about in this golden brown juice.If you aren't familiar with Villoresis signature style, Patchouli will initially impress. A sweet earthy herbaceous patchouli note dominates at first, supported by a green-musty accord of lavender, galbanum (although not listed in notes) and a woody cedar note. The patchouli note satisfies - it exhibits a rich wine-like sweetness at first, a quality indicative of top shelf aged patchouli oil, with slight bitter-musky accents. Strangely though, the balsamic intensity of the note dissipates fast and the patchouli is swallowed alive by the growling green-musty accord. To people familiar with other Villoresi compositions (especially Vetiver), Patchouli's structure will seem all too pedantic, adhering to the tried and testing formula: green-musty-lavenderish accord + [insert classic note]. Solid, but a little too predictable, like a Nickelback album. Longevity and sillage are moderate, clocking in at around 6 hours.Patchouli is well put together, but it also smelss like Villoresi's phoning it in. Take a well established "house" structure, and drop in a quality patchouli oil note. To a certain level it works, but I find both its patchouli note and supporting structure somewhat uninspiring. Interms of overall intensity, it lies somewhere between the rich sumptuous patchouli blast of Borneo 1834, and the light elegant mass-appeal patchouli of Patchouli Patch: less forceful than the first, grittier than the latter, yet strangely less alluring than either. Patchouli may be a victim of the success of its brethren.Rating: 7.00/10.0
9th November 2008
At first, I dismissed this one until my partner (who likes very few fragrances) took a distinct liking to it and wanted a bottle of it, which is very unusual for him, as he owns very few fragrances. He says that it smells like being in the forest at the mouth of a cave and smelling the cold, earthy cave smell emanating from the cave. In fact, he doesn't call it "Patchouli." If I ask him what he's wearing and it's this one, he says, "Cave." That pretty much says it all.
5th July 2008
My Singapore patchouli oil has a certain licorice quality to it, but Villoresi's Patchouli is dark and bitter, it smells what a bitter infusion of medicinal herbs taste like, to the point of almost reminding one of damp wood beginning to mould. I could swear there is also immortelle in this, providing a salty-spiciness faintly reminiscent of Sables. Dry-bitter-salty woodiness. It's intriguing in its sheer intensity, but I would not want to wear it as a perfume.
2nd July 2008