Reviews of Paris
Yves Saint Laurent (1983)

Overall

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

Add your review of Paris

Reviews of Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

There are 77 reviews of Paris by Yves Saint Laurent.

L'Oreal has finally ruined this. It may fool you briefly with the rosy topnote, but the thin, "carnation" abomination that follows reminds you more of an airport bathroom than a glorious violet-rose.

I purchased my EDT directly from YSL, 2021.

Edit - I managed to find an older bottle of the same eau de toilette, this time produced by Sanofi. Even from the colour of the juice you can tell it's different. Roses, violets, musks, and fruits. Beautiful. Grab one off eBay while you still can.

The opening is a floral mix, with a medium-bodied rose greeting me first. I t is not a heavy rose, and mainly rose blossom on me; I don't get much of the rose leaves and stems. Some bergamot infused brightness initially,and other florals are added with time. A lovely bright hyacinth is particularly noteworthy,whilst some geranium, and mimosa are added also. A restrained violet appears, which adds a darker shadow. Hints of cinnamon transiently appear with a slightly spicy moment, possibly the nasturtium and the cassia promised in the scent pyramid.

The drydown continues the floral theme, with muguet being dominant on me. a touch of jasmine is present, and some darker notes again, mainly violet, a smidgen on lily, and an impression and an earthier orris root - the latter is discreet and fails mo make a dent in the floral predominance.

The base Is still keeping echos of the floral fest, but changes to be mainly and ambery woodsy affair. hints of sandalwood and cedar fleeting raising their heads. Otherwise the base does not really develop anything new.

I get moderate sillage, good projection and five hours of longevity on my skin.

This spring creation's fabric of florals is quite a edifying and pleasant tour of the gardens of YSL. The dominating notes are crafted well, but some others are quite faint and pallid, which might be due to the age of my vintage version, but more recent edition have not been much more vivid and intense on me. The base is fairly nondescriptive. Overall - just - in the realm of a positive score. 3/5

Vintage... Deep, dark - like I imagine a winter afternoon in Paris might be, as I've never been there. This is a very deep, floral frag. It has a slight, syrupy sweetness - almost honeyed. A bit of toasted nut aroma comes from somewhere. Two notes that stand out the most are mimosa and geranium... Flowers here, are muddled and mixed with a touch of starch thrown in. It's beautiful.

I don't feel the need to dissect this one too much further. It smells old-school. It's refined. It could or may, be required wearing by women of a certain attitude for life, I imagine. I cannot think of any lover of florals, not adoring this... The orris in the heart is outstanding. The base exposes some extra love, with musk and heliotrope notes. All in all I am glad to have finally experienced Paris, in its vintage form and splendor. It IS a classic.

Paris EDT opens slightly sharp. It's ozonic, aldehydic and soapy. It then gradually morphs into a smooth powdery flower bouquet. Rose, hiacynth, violet, mimosa, lily of the valley, jasmine and other flowers interlock with one another. I can hardly pick either one out of the bouquet. It has a floral-type of sweetness, and it smells perfume-y. It doesn't smell unpleasantly synthetic, but it certainly doesn't aim to smell like real flowers. It's an artifice, cleverly structrued and well refined. Glamourous as it is, Paris EDT is surprisingly airy to my nose. I didn't find myself wearing a heavy velvet coat. Instead, it wears like a gauzy aura gently hovering around me. I doubt if the EDP has the same texture, though.

However, I do find that Paris is from an era other than our current one. Paris is like some timeless icons such as Audrey Hepburn : people admire their elegance and beauty but one does not necessarily wear exactly the same way as they do in their times. I admire and respect them as an inspiration. I'd occasionally treat myself with a few spritzes of Paris EDT to be embraced by its grace.

By the way, Paris EDT has a moderate sillage on me even with a few spritzes, but it lasts a good 12 hours and survives a shower.

Paris takes the form of an early-modern trope of perfumery and reworks it for the late twentieth century.
It's based around Sophia Grojsman's Hug Me accord of rose and violets.
There's a soft, pink, milky rose, which is paired with a mimosa-like lily, dusted with pollen - and this is grounded on a musky note that smells like formica. The rest of the smell is a hard and dry violet which gives an edge to Paris, an unfeminine feel - which isn't contradicted by the neutral muskiness in the base.

This epicene floral - of hard dry violets and soft pink rose - was something quite new. Paris gave an unheard-of toughness to a feminine form, and did it when a new generation of women like Siouxie and The Banshees and Nina Hagen were rising stars in the post Punk world of New Wave.
Their style was unladylike: black leather jacket and dyed spiky hair. Old ideas of femininity were being challenged, both in fashion and in perfume.

Paris wasn't just a hard-nosed rerun of a traditional style, but a new blend of feminine and masculine which had something apposite to say about the gender politics of its day. It was, possibly, the first feminist floral.

The true 80s Paris was indeed a roaring beast that would tackle you to the ground in a pink powder swirl and stuff your throat with roses. I adored it and wore it for years, until changing tastes made it impossible to wear in public.

Note, I do not usually like rose perfumes.

The reformulated version is a little more sparkly and fizzy but has entirely lost the bass velvet growl of the original, and as a consequence seems rather run of the mill.

I've got a miniature that says Paris but the cap is pink, so I don't know if I'm reviewing the right version. The listed notes don't speak much. There's just too many things to distinguish anything. It's not bad enough for me to give it a neutral review. It's a nice floral scent. But that's pretty much it.

The dancer Gustav Klimt 1916-1918

As the name suggests, Paris always reminds you of this lovely beautiful city. The scent is just like the city, a song of light and darkness, of sunny days and hot nights, of deep love and flirty affair. I believe that's a scent for romantic retro-style woman somewhat older than 25.
Classic, powdery, floral, gorgeous, woody, ladylike, romantic, heavenly and absolutely french style.

With the first spray you can feel 80s chic, it's powdery yet fresh and clean. The heart is a explosive blend of jasmine, violet, ylang ylang and above all rose. The base notes dries to an dry woodsy texture of sandalwood, with a musky accord of the iris and the finishing touches of warm amber for a perfect powdery sweet floral elixir for a elegant lady.

The scent is very suitable for women who has self-confidence and born to be madame. When she walked by me in the hotel in Paris, I clearly remember myself turning towards her and smile dreamily as if I was entranced. The scent would be suitable for a romantic dinner candles in a fancy restaurant theatre night in paris. Definitely for Autumn weather. Paris, i miss you!

I have to admit it--I do not really like the scent of roses. Beautiful to look at, less so to smell--to me, anyway. On top of that, I have yet to find a scent by Sophia Grojsman that I like.... That all said, Paris is an amazing scent, a screaming rose chypre with violets and orange blossom in a supporting role. If a woman loves the smell of roses and wants a pedal to the metal way to shout it from the rooftops, this is the way to go! Beautiful packaging and marketing. I once was in Paris and bought a bouquet of flowers for someone who had done a favor for me. I ended up carrying them around for an hour or two before I was able to deliver them, probably looking like a besotted suitor, trying to screw up the courage to call on a girlfriend. That is what Paris the perfume reminds me of and yes, I gave this woman roses even though I do not like them; she did and that is all that matters!

When I first sprayed this one on, I wasn't sure how I felt about it. It's quite strong, and I felt a little overwhelmed by the smell of sour cherries. (Which I think is actually mostly the rose notes, but rose perfumes often smell a bit cherry-like to me.)
However, after it dries down a bit (after at least 20 minutes or so) it actually does have a very lovely powdery, floral scent. I actually sprayed the perfume on in my bedroom, then left the room for a bit, and when I went back in later I immediately loved this scent in the air. It leaves a very beautiful, sweet, powdery, soft impression. (This probably depends on how much you spray though. I didn't spray a lot.) This perfume just makes me feel good, and I recommend trying it. It's another one that I think should be considered a classic.

Roja Dove informs us that this rose scent owes homage to Guerlain's Apres L'Ondee with its rose, orris and hawthorn combination.

Turin gave it four stars and dubbed it a "roaring rose." The powerhouse rose of the 1980s that smelled "fruity, powdery and woody at once." He announces "it is not possible to make a louder, bigger, more complicated rose." One to definitely use in very small doses.

Top notes: Rose, Neroli, Mimosa, Cassia, Hawthorn, Nasturtium, Bergamot, Hyacinth, Geranium
Heart notes: Violet, Jasmine, Orris, Ylang, Muguet, Linden, Lily, Heliotrope
Base notes: Sandalwood, Amber, Musk, Oak Moss, Cedarwood, Ambergris

I found it to be a pleasant, rose-centered light floral, undistinguished from other rose florals I've experienced. Nice, yes, but not outstanding.

Paris opens as a pleasantly peculiar, almost odd chypre, quite herbal and stuffed with flowers but at the same time with a pungent, slightly skanky base, then sandalwood, resins, heliotrope, patchouli and "something" weird I can not isolate, a sort of camphoraceous feel quite humid and heavy which creates a dissonance in the blend that reminds me of Héritage by Guerlain. As minutes pass it then becomes more "balanced" and familiar, a floral-herbal chypre with a waxy-powdery side of orris root and violet on soft resinous woods - which in turn, after one hour or so again turns towards a bolder soapy-powdery mix, with a remarkable presence of tonka, cardamom and vanilla, and a light fresher breeze of flowers and herbs, "colouring" this creamy gourmand concoction. Finally, the drydown is more dry than one may expect, with flowers blossoming out again and aldehydes providing their signature's metallic-salty feel – however, it's globally and elegant, discreet and long lasting drydown. Overall a nice, fascinating scent, initially soft and elusive with a warm and creamy personality, not that sophisticated - on the contrary, it starts more like a lively, young, cozy and friendly scent, with a light and "urban" elegance underneath; then it becomes more and more mature, austere, feminine and sensual, with shades arising all over and all notes getting denser and spicier, and finally, like a dawn, it opens on a luminous, radiant and sophisticated drydown. Quite a complex but masterfully played evolution, a really modern scent, ironic and understated, but still with something I do not like entirely (perhaps it's "too much" complex to the point of smelling a bit confused at some points). However, surely worth a try.

Genre: Floral

Paris: As in “The Rose That Ate…”

I once described Etsée Lauder's Knowing as “a rose so big that a family of four could take up residence inside it and still have room to entertain.” If you dropped the rose they used to make Paris on your foot, you'd wind up in the emergency room.

Sure, it's larger than life, but Paris achieves the perfect balance between the fruity, liqueur-like quality of rose and the mossy bitterness of a green chypre. It stands with Estée Lauder's Knowing at the apogee of the late twentieth century rose chypre cycle, and to my mind represents one of Sophia Grojsman's most assured and brilliant compositions. Calyx, 100% Love, and White Linen may be more strikingly original, but none attain the poise and proportion of Paris.

That said, the sheer scale of Paris makes it very hard to wear today. Like Giorgio, Opium, Amarige, and Poison, Paris can feel more like a period piece than a living fragrance. The scale and the degree of artifice they embody is no longer fashionable, or even socially acceptable in some circles. Wearing them is the olfactory equivalent of driving around in an enormous, pink vintage 1950s Cadillac with tailfins or walking daylit city streets in a floor length ermine hooded cape. Good for Lady Gaga, or Dame Edna maybe, but not for everyone.

review by thanks sixxAfter reading Chandler Burr's book, "The Perfect Scent," where he gives a wonderful nod to YSL's " Paris", I had to buy it, to try it again. I came of age in the 80's, and remember Paris well. Everyone back then loved it, everyone wore it. It was the perfume equivalent of the band Van Halen. Have you ever heard of anyone "not" liking Van Halen? Likewise, no one I knew "didn't like" Paris. It was a fragrance mainstay of the day.Clean rose, a smudge of violet, shimmery green to lighten the mix. A big floral, but not overpowering....enough to let you know she is there, and will not be ignored. But not enough sillage to offend anyone. A lady can wear Paris when she is relaxing, feeling casual, enjoying some freedom in her day, and just wants to smell pretty. No agenda, no ego to boost. It is Saturday....put on your favorite jeans and cashmere sweater and drink wine by the fireplace with your beau. Deciding to go out to dinner? Then change into a lovely long black skirt with a silk bodice, and you don't need to change your perfume.Paris will fit the bill. I received my bottle of EDP from Neiman Marcus tonight, and eagerly sprayed it on my inner wrists, the crook of my arms.......... Delightfully, Paris still smells as I remember......I don't think any major reformulations have been done.Paris is still the clean, pink rose, green leafy scent I remember. It is probably more appropriate for spring and summer, but as a light spritz can be worn at the office, any time. I don't think you can go wrong with Paris (unless you do not like florals). YSL has a formula that delights those who are fans, but manages not to alienate those who are indifferent. Paris has stood the test of time, in a classy, quiet way. Nice to know she is still out there....

I little too girlie for me. It is a light, sweet, extremely rose and floral scent, that on me smelled the same from start to finish. There is nothing objectionable about this fragrance--after all in the mid 80s we all owned a bottle of it--but its just too little girlie and "pink" for me now.

Good fragrance for tweens.

Lovely if you love roses and florals. Beautiful long lasting fragrance. Been a favourite of mine since 1983.

this perfume is very clean and full of roses. it is very long lasting. i like it very much.

I vividly remember the day when Paris was launched in 1983. In every perfume store, they gave away scented red feathers. This fragrance was an acquired taste for me, though. At first, I was almost repelled by the overwhelming rose note and the aggressive alcohol vapors. Also, back in the early 80's, flowery perfumes were a little passé and Paris seemed a little anachronistic. Paris is a fragrance you have to try on. Merely sampling it on a blotter can be deceiving. Over the years, I ran into quite a few women who wore Paris with great elegance and I began to appreciate this original and delicate fragrance. If there were green roses, I imagine they would have a fragrance similar to Paris. Fresh, fruity, green, chic and feminine, this is how I would describe Paris.

Sweet soapy rose with very romantic, "girlie" feel. Not bad, but not my style.

Would be great if lightly applied on a young girl.

Simply gorgeous, I've always loved this from the very first moment. Although, in my view, it suits the younger ladies far better and is quite perfect with the "little black dress". For me it's got some quite "tarty" notes in there somewhere so i'd describe it as flirtaceous. I've never known it fail to make a good impression, as it seems to suit most skin with an aura of projection sufficient to ruin any wine tasting but never so overpowering as to make people want to open windows. It's equally good behind the ears and on the wrists. Sillage is whimsical and enticing. In brief, a “man magnet”. Beware, this fragrance combination might seem absurd, on anyone with a few extra pounds, it simply doesn't have enough basement wood or patchouli to balance the childishness of the wonderful florals, and the violet floral is so delightfully delicate, rather than blousy or musky, the violettes dance across with all the high notes and not the middle. If you're 40+ then perhaps you should please pass it on to your daughter or favourite niece, or buy them some for Christmas?

A beautiful rosa canina and powder scent that is a bit vulgar at first, but mellows considerably upon drydown. Very feminine, not overwhelming (if applied with a light hand), clean and uplifting. I own this as EDP & parfum. I prefer the parfum as there is no initial vulgarity to the scent. It's more subtle, too, but lasts longer. The body powder & lotion are also lovely - I do not normally care for perfumed lotions or powders, but these smell true to scent. For me, the ultimate springtime scent.

One of the few perfumes that is 80's in style, size and exuberance but can still be worn today without irony. It's a cartoon-like rose with candied violet. A bit shrieky up top, but fortunately by the heartnotes the rose grows citric and astringent, lending a sweet/tart quality to the accord. Paris has a crystalline quality similar to Guerlain's Nahema, but is far less dense and juicy than Nahema. Paris gains a woody, musky quality in drydown, but remains true to the artifice and exaggeration of its era and is proudly an 80's Huge Floral.

This is one loud rose fragrance that I do enjoy greatly.

As a child I always preferred the scent of the Black Madonna rose to any other rose in my Mother's garden. It had such a rich, distinctive smell that has been so well emulated through Paris.

This fragrance opens with rich, (and in some ways harsh) rose, gernanium, green notes and what seems to be aldehydes. There is a definite soapy/powdery quality throughout the composition which I find rather alluring.

Just looking at the adverts, I can't say that Paris is particularly sexy or seductive. I'd say forget the sexual aspect and focus on the romantic and classic feel of the scent. This is romantic, candle-lit dinners in a restaurant with a view of the Eiffel Tower, not a clothes-tearing, extremely urgent romp, beneath red satin sheets in a sleazy motel.

I also find this scent to be quite fresh, almost something that I could imagine wearing during the heat of Summer, despite the scent being quite strong. For me, Paris sparkles with vitality and commands attention.

The lasting strength is absolutely amazing. Even showering doesn't completely rid oneself of this potent fragrance.

To some this will seem out-dated, far too strong and 'nightmarish', however I do have hope that some will appreciate this fragrance like I have.