parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Garage

Overall

parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Garage by Comme des Garçons

About parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Garage by Comme des Garçons

Comme des Garçons

The sixth in CdG's parfums*PARFUMS range is "Synthetic" and comes in 5 scents. The bottles each contain a plastic pouch that deflates gradually as the product is depleted.

Reviews of parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Garage by Comme des Garçons

There are 20 reviews of parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Garage by Comme des Garçons.

So this didnt smell like a garage when I first smelled it. I broke it down too hard, and it didn't smell like any of my garages I've had. It actually smells a lot like the back yard of a rental I used to live in. Had my wife smell it and she smelled it too. Not sure. It was like creeping charlies with little red berries everywhere. I don't know. As I wore it I got more shed. Like machine parts and tire stuff inside a wooden shed. Like a shed that had a floor, is well lit, and has a peg board where everything is neat. Its a sythetic feel to it all as well. I don't know. Its pretty cool.

In agreement with previous reviewers, I do think that this is more of an oddball leather perfume than the smell of a garage.

I feel like there's a tarry juniper berry leather at the core of this, paired with a rubber tire note, and enhanced with spices. The whole smell feels quite green to me, which I think is coming from basil and mint reacting with the juniper berry. Meanwhile, a salty tarragon makes things smell subtly meaty.

In all, I think this smells more "clever" than "good", but I appreciate that it goes beyond being a simple novelty and actually makes the effort to be a proper perfume. Thumbs up, but not really something I'd want to wear repeatedly.

Contrary to what it may seem from its name, Garage is a menthol-balsamic scent on a “plastic” base, halfway musky, anisic, glueish and dusty. Overall really clean, neat, sharp and bright. I totally share the concept of “garage” alfarom suggests below: Garage is a cold yet cozy and pleasant fragrance which reminds me of some “synthetic classics” (Miyake, Kenzo), just less friendly, less mainstream and more austere in its olfactory depiction of the smell of solvents, cleansers, whatever liquids used in a laboratory – or a “garage of the future”. The name may be misleading mostly because there's really no oily dirt or “raw” darkness here: Garage has rather the pale, cold brightness of industrial lights, and the clean, plastic sharpness of the abovementioned hypothetical “futuristic laboratory”. Either way it's a really nice scent, much fascinating and like many Comme des Garçons works, perfectly able to mix the concept with the wearability: Garage is elegant, appealing, totally pleasant and safe, whether you care about the concept of “garage” or simply want a good and distinctive scent. Now, for some reasons this did not completely made me “fall off the chair” – meaning it was just a “nice!” rather than a “WOW!”, but it's really worthy consideration.

7-7,5/10

Garage is a tarry, phenolic leather scent that occupies a space somewhere between the barbecued meat of Andy Tauer's Lonestar Memories and the auto interior of Santa Maria Novella's Nostalgia. It also hints at what Bulgari Black might smell like without its enormous powdery vanilla base note. In terms of development, Garage follows Nostalgia most closely, in that its drydown feels like an anticlimax after the aggressively rubbery, tarry opening. In this case the predominant base note is a laundry detergent-style white musk of no particular interest. While I find Bulgari Black's powdery vanillic amber intolerably cloying and Lonestar Memories' campfire base notes too literal, I give both credit for drydowns that don't representa cop-out.

I've decided that my problem with Nostalgia, Lonestar Memories, and Garage alike is that they're more parfums d'ambiance than perfumes. By literally evoking familiar atmospheres they succeed as interesting smells, but not as personal fragrances. They appeal to me more on paper than on skin, and would suit me better as candles or room sprays than personal wardrobe elements.

Odd and not my style. Yet it is a well-made and interesting fragrance.
The kerosene and leather notes are accurate. I also get the rubbery smell of tires. With a bit of a wood note, this definitely suggests a workshop or garage. A fairly straight-forward garage -- I don't get any science-fiction THX 1138 elements, as some reviewers have.
A little sweet in the dry down. Does not appeal to me.

If the word "garage" brings to your mind of Harley Davidsons, trucks, bycicles, cars or whatever you may have inside your garage, this is NOT for you. Comme Des Garcons rendition of the garage it's definitely more futuristic than a post-seventies motorcycle rider with a long beard and a leather jacket working on his bike. This is more the smell of a maintanance area where they repair and polish aseptic white androids designated as supportive doctors on an interstellar base.

Yes, it smells of grease, oil, traces of kerosene, rubber and various lubricants but it's overall clean, extremly bright and...plasticky. It's a tidy garage, almost aseptic, with metal walls and a clean white floor illuminated by neon lights. Wearable? Probably not as much as the others fragrances in the Synthetic Series yet incredibly compelling and futuristic. More an odour than a proper body fragrance but nonetheless worth experiencing for its unquestionable uniqueness.

Show more reviews of parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Garage...

Add your review of parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Garage