Oscar for Men

Oscar de la Renta

Oscar for Men is a men's fragrance launched in 2000 by Oscar de la Renta

Where to buy Oscar for Men

Reviews of Oscar for Men by Oscar de la Renta

There are 51 reviews of Oscar for Men by Oscar de la Renta.

It brings to my mind a strong man of nature in early 40s who is living in the forest,cutting trees for the fireplace and has a taste of classicism and calture.it spells classic elegance, sophistication & aura of good life.

Nutmeg,cloves and sour lemon with some flowery and woody aspects.the end result so durability is outstanding. opening is a bit strong, but it turns into a close to the skin scent after an hour but it's not a cloying scent so it can be applied liberally to extend sillage and longevity which are average to me. extremely stylish.special aroma for all occasions.

TLDR: OK (2.75/5). A scent with a lemon pepper seasoning opening that is rescued from absolute unpleasantness by some reasonably enjoyable floral notes and decent vaguely musky base.

I recently decided to become reacquainted with this fragrance's Pour Lui brand-sibling and was surprised when this fragrance arrived in the box with the Pour Lui.

Oscar for Men is a little (below average projection, minimal sillage and moderate longevity) nothing of a scent.

The opening, with its mix of citrus and black pepper is reminiscent of the smell of lemon pepper seasoning, which is OK, I guess, but not especially something I want to smell like. The florals in the heart smell nice. The rose and spices blend with a non-indolic, clean jasmine to produce a nice counterpart to the now citrus-free black pepper note (which persists into the dry down).

The base is an unconvincing leather accord with a hint of balsamic amber. There is a bit of musk in the far dry down as well.

Overall, this scent comes off as more than a little bit generic. It is not unpleasant, by any means, just simultaneously uninteresting and dated. Some folks must like it, or if would have slipped, unlamented, out of production, but I am decidedly uninterested in Oscar for Men.

I may try it again in hot weather to see if it becomes more interesting in different climate conditions. If so, I will update. For now, a very tepid neutral accompanied by the feeling that if I had actually parted with any money to get this fragrance, my opinion might easily be harsher.

Not one to be a reformulation drag - but I think this has lost it somewhat.
As prior comments - made in France is the one to get. I have had 3 so far ( cause I like it a lot!) but they're the more recent made in USA ones. I get low projection and sillage. I.e doused myself today- yet I doubt ANYONE noticed!

Now that's outa the way...!

This is tidy - fresh spicy pepper, woody, floral.

All works together really well to form an accomplished and refined scent. Leaning toward being a spring summer scent as its not got weight. That's my grumble. It doesnt seem to be very potent - skin scent albeit a darn good one - very quickly. Sheer is one descriptive term that fits well. It does stick around though.

More astute noses will have given more clear comparison and analysis'. Yet I can say its pretty regular in my rotation. Solid.

Thumbs up as I've got either duds or new versions are whack(!) but I can see what it should be with appropriate projection and longevity.

Edit 2 10/2019:
Underestimated this.
Its a creeper - subtle yet strong in presence -
Recently got a Made in France version - its real good.
Musky, slightly spicy, woody and floral. Smooth bubbly.
And I fear its actually a good performer for cool crisp weather too. All round good stuff.
Does remind me of a more fleshed out version of Blenheim Bouqet - citrus pepper - with a cushion of musk and flora.

Smelled like lemon bathroom cleaner and bleach mixed. I came for some pepper, which if I was being really generous could perhaps be recognised under all the under nose-searing chemical odours, but this one is cheap for a reason. I poured the bottle down the sink, and I didn't even like getting a whiff of it from the drain the following day.

I have a long history of buying and enjoying underappreciated cheapies, and as a pepper lover, I thought Oscar for Men would be right in my sweet spot.

Unfortunately, it wasn't to be. The citrus and pepper opening (and really the entire evolution) feels harsh and chemical to me. I'm OK with dry and sharp scents, but it's a category where the composition really needs to be top notch.

If shortcuts are taken, what would otherwise be a bracing, pointed statement of resolutely masculine freshness, turns into whining dental drill of sharpness. And that, I'm afraid, sums up Oscar for Men.

Beautiful...
Spectacular citrus & pepper opening
Love the heart notes and how the intermingle so well
Basenotes are bold without being overpowering

For me this fragrance will definitely be in my fragrance wardrobe rotation

Show more reviews of Oscar for Men...

Add your review of Oscar for Men

Perfumania - America's Leading Perfumery Chain!