Oscar

Overall

About Oscar by Oscar de la Renta

Where to buy Oscar

Reviews of Oscar by Oscar de la Renta

There are 33 reviews of Oscar by Oscar de la Renta.

This is for the new version - black cap as shown in the photo. I remember it as being a bit different back in the '80's, but I might be wrong about that. I like it. It is a spicy floriental - very much like Coty's L'Origan or Guerlain's L'Heure Bleue, but not nearly as complex or deep. But, it can be had for a fraction of the price of Guerlain. It has that distinct 'airspun powder' scent of L'Origan. I don't see violet anywhere in the pyramid, but I do get a strong violet note in Oscar. Oddly, I don't get much tuberose, which many of the other reviewers mention. All in all, Oscar is a very nice, somewhat derivative, safe blind buy for fans of florientals. While it is an 80's-type scent, it is not very 'dated' or a huge powerhouse like Opium or Diva. Oscar can be a safe office scent, a safe blind buy, not at all gourmand (despite cinnamon/clove notes) or aquatic. If you like L'Heure Bleue, you will like Oscar.
Sep 4, 2021

Scarlett O'Hara sits alone.and her boudoir sits in smells of her old well -worn leather purse,a vase of not fresh carnations,her favorite lipstick,and the powdery scent of her body,soft Mozart piano. she is wearing a white and green printed silk-organza dress with green velvet trim,topped off with a straw hat. she waits for Ashley but he never comes. she watches the rain,and wonders why. Oscar is melancholy and gloomy, slightly gothic,but retains it's sensibility and elegance.the fragrance of a woman's cherished reminiscence of someone once loved.by the bluish light of evening, the remembrance of a treasured love, silken sheets,a secret longing,memories, and warmth of the heart's flush.

Such a legendry scent.perfume of the solitude and romance.perfume of intimate spirituality. mysterious,powdery and soft.strong but at the same time subtle and dreamy.unforgettable, yet light.like your softest velvet pillow with all the feathers coming out in a soft breeze of wind,while you are surrounded by violets,irises and other mysterious powdery florals.sweet floral opening with iris,a little soapiness and powder but the dry down is incredible with a hint of creamy vanilla and elegant musk makes it mysteriously carnal and smells of desire and sends the wearer into another world.the absolute of femininity, inner beauty and richness.a fragrance for the person who loves the smell of vintage cosmetics.timeless,bewitching and intoxicating.
Dec 29, 2020

What we have here is a beautiful, elegant classic from the 70's! I get a bitter lemon opening with lavender & some floral arrangements, it is sweet, not sugary sweet.

There are herbs to cut out some of the sweetness. It is for a classy individual more so for an adult because I do not see this type of fragrance appealing to the younger gals. I owned a vintage EDT that I acquired but only kept for nostalgia reasons.

One day my granny came to visit me & I gave her my bottle of Oscar & she absolutely LOVED IT! She was happy to have it & I was happy she enjoys it! This is ideal for fall/winter wear as that is where it shines. It projects nicely & it last at least 8 hours on me. This was created in the 70's yet it does not smell dated! Enjoy!
Nov 3, 2018

My husband bought this for me before we were married in the mid 80's, and I wore it everywhere. After many years I remembered it when I saw a bottle, so I bought it again. On me it is a soft floral - light and delicate - with a decent longevity to it. I am not sure why it reminds me of carnations, and even though I dislike fresh carnations, I like this scent very much and wear it often.

Interestingly my husband doesn't remember buying it for me at all, ha ha.
Jul 24, 2018

Another Sieuzac dream. Mid 80's Vintage Eau de Parfum. Bergamot start with Aromatic Basil, Coriander Anise twist at first reminds me of Hiram Green Voyage and Shalimar.
Peach slightly sweetens and is countered by Clove/Cinnamon. Here, this nods to Youth Dew. A quiet Carnation Camphour cools, dries and mops up the sweetness of a drop of Nectar.

A Jasmin Indole, with it's gentle rot, draws me away from a mild Tuberose Heart.

The Rose drifts in and attaches to the real Sandalwood as a hint of Castoreum rises through the center with a light incense. Amber slightly Vanilla-ed anchors.

All in all a beautiful package that can be worn by a man as easily as Shalimar.

Drydown becomes a buttery Savon, I suspect a little Moss is to blame.

May 16, 2017

Beautifully soft & elegant floral...

This is a fragrance which has significance to me, as it was my mother's first signature scent and favourite perfume. This one comes from an age where perfumes didn't need to be cloying or sugary sweet, but which emphasised nature and femininity.

Oscar by Oscar de la Renta is a wonderful perfume done in a very elegant style of perfumery. Like a white floral bouquet of jasmine, tuberose, lilly-of-the-valley & gardenia. There is also a spicy base of amber, myrrh and opoponax. I also get ylang-ylang and herbs and a few aromatic florals. What a mix!

This is a perfume for someone dressed up in my opinion, but it would also make a great signature scent and a spring/summer favourite. It is quite floral but at no point is this fragrance ever overwhelming. It is done with such style and mastery that you can tell it was not made today, but in a golden age of female marketed perfume. Incredible stuff! This is worth a try if you like floral bouquets and wedding/special occasion perfumes. Elegant and floral and never overwhelming. If you're interested in a classic yet youthful style, then try this one.
May 11, 2016

Show more reviews of Oscar...

Add your review of Oscar