Ormonde Woman

Linda Pilkington
Creative Director

Ormonde Woman is a women's perfume launched in 2002 by Ormonde Jayne

Reviews of Ormonde Woman by Ormonde Jayne

There are 39 reviews of Ormonde Woman by Ormonde Jayne.

The opening is green & herbal, but not bitter or sharp, with the top notes of grass, cardamom & coriander clearly discernable. l also smell sage here, evoking the dry verges of a Greek mountain road in summer. As it develops, there's a vaguely citrussy note, & a peppery sweetness, perhaps violet? l had to look up the scent of black hemlock, & apparently it's a sweetish, fruity & mild conifer scent, which chimes with my experience here. After an hour, a more savoury, mossy element creeps in, & another hour later it's slightly more woody, & much softer. As ClaireV mentions, however, it does seem to advance & recede several times over the course of the day, still detectable the next morning. And those final traces smell to me just like the golden, fuzzy scent of mimosa, a scent I adore.

From reading the reviews, l expected to experience a deep, dark forest here, but was surprised to find a sunny Mediterranean hillside. The kind basenoter who sent me this sample tells me it's around eleven years old, so it's not a more recent reformulation, & the juice is a greenish-yellow colour, if that helps anyone. Not being usually a fan of very green scents, l find this one surprisingly cheerful & likeable.

This is another fragrance that was ruined by re-formulation.
I loved the original fragrance, so I put it on my Christmas 2020 wish-list. My husband bought it for me, and I thought there was a huge mix-up, or it was a fake. But it wasn't - he bought it from Ormonde Jayne's website.

Then I noticed the color was different, now being yellow-amber, instead of the distinctive original green juice. That's when I realized a major re-formulation must have happened. And I do mean major.

I've not been privy to the inner workings of this perfume house, not knowing if there's been a shake-up in management. But I'll be pretty cautious about purchasing anything further from them without testing first, so big is the change in Ormonde Woman.

The original was a warm, pleasant chypre-lite autumnal scent with a notable and likeable hemlock note. The predominant note of the reformulation is sneezy aldehydes and hairspray. My husband asked if I could apply the fragrance in the bathroom instead of our bedroom because the aldehydic smell lasts all day. That's a bad sign. To say I'm disappointed is understating it. Should the Ormonde Jayne site have made mention of such a major re-formulation on the perfume description page? I believe so. I won't go further into my Christmas gift disappointment of their 120 ml. bottle.

For lovers of the original, if you're wanting to replenish your stock, look for the older green-colored juice.

I think I must be anosmic/ reactive to a common aromachemical from the perfumes in this house- Iso E super ? as weirdly they all smell alike to me.

To my nose, all the 12 samples from a brand new discovery set bought in Selfridges- including Ormonde Woman- have a very dominant common and slightly nauseating disinfectant/ alcohol note. There is very little else I can pick up past this and what other notes I can smell are quickly dominated by this pervasive background smell. Almost all of these perfumes make me slightly nauseated and give me a headache. Anyone else with this problem? Made me quite sad that I cannot enjoy these at all...

This perfume is so lovely. It makes me feel like I'm in a sun-dappled mossy forest on a warm day. It has a fairy or fantasy like quality to it as well, but is still elegant and refined. It is light and airy while also maintaining a deep woodsy feel with a little spice. The performance is good too. Nicely done!

Sweet, feminine top notes - not fruity sweet, mind you. Cardamom, touch of coriander, sweet grass, fresh hemlock, gentle violet, and jasmine. The base reveals some amber and a touch of sandalwood. Unfortunately, this fades way too quickly, for me.

What a difference a year makes. I'm leaving my first review intact for sentimental reasons; this was the first truly niche fragrance I encountered, and I still adore it. Despite the gendered names, Ormonde Man and Ormonde Woman are both quite unisex and incredibly similar--so similar, in fact, that one wonders if both of these need to exist. At any rate, I find them both beautiful. Woman is softer and a tad sweeter than Man thanks to the violet, and Man is a tad spicier thanks to the addition of pink pepper.

Overall, these two scents celebrate green woods in a quintessentially British way. This is an ancient, slightly dank forest that was spent an eternity surrounded by fog. The woods are synthetic, employing the house signature developed by Geza Schoen, and yet there is still a naturalness here. The grass oil most likely contributes to this, and I wish it stuck around longer than 30 minutes.

Fortunately, the heart and base are tenacious, still projecting softly after 10 hours from two sprays to the neck. In the far dry-down, it even gets a bit powdery--perhaps the violet is shifting focus again. First green, then spicy, then powdery woods. Galadriel floating through Lothlórien.

Overall, I think Ormonde Woman is the jewel of this house alongside Privé, though I haven't sampled the critically acclaimed Gold series yet. I still find this practically perfect, and I hope to add a bottle or two to my collection this year.

Ormonde Woman: practically perfect in every way.

I don't mean to trivialize a masterpiece with trite movie quotes, but I honestly have nothing else to offer. I have been completely swept off of my feet. None of my past or even current signature fragrances hold a candle to Ormonde Woman. This speaks to everything I have been and everything I want to be. My entire collection, modest as it is, pales in comparison. I can only hope Ormonde Jayne never stops making this because I will be needing it for the next 60 years, give or take.

Show more reviews of Ormonde Woman...

Add your review of Ormonde Woman