Oajan

Parfums de Marly
Givaudan

Where to buy Oajan

Reviews of Oajan by Parfums de Marly

There are 16 reviews of Oajan by Parfums de Marly.

Oajan is one of PdM's more underrated and perhaps under-the-radar fragrances, being overshadowed by mass appeal offerings like Herod, Layton and Sedley. Oajan is more a niche scent, opening with a blast of cinnamon, honey and blood orange. There's a thick layer of benzoin in the heart and a more standard patchouli, vanilla and musk in the base for support. It's got a holiday season vibe that could easily be worn by anyone (unisex), but best for cold weather wear. Great performance as well.
Nov 26, 2021

Marketed as a masculine fragrance, Oajan totally works as a feminine. My first thought when trying it was what a great holiday fragrance it would make for either sex. This delectable cinnamony honey, booze and warm resin fragrance would be appreciated at Thanksgiving and Christmas gatherings whoever was wearing it. The cinnamon note is what makes this gourmand festive.
I find honey fragrances welcoming, so Oajan has a skin vibe which makes it approachable and warm..
The price range with this house is a little high though, for what it is. What I plan to do is buy some samples during the holiday season. That will be enough for me. On Christmas Day, I’ll bring the samples with me, as there are sure to be queries about the scrumptious Christmas dessert fragrance I’m wearing. If they like it, I’ll gift them with a sample.
So, as delectable as it is, it’s a little too Holiday for me to wear other than at winter parties, because of the cinnamon. But it seems perfect for those times.
Oct 23, 2021

Opening: Gourmand honey and vanilla. Classic incense, resinous.

Then out comes patchouli, osmanthus jumping in with the fruity touch, all done in a refined way that reminds me a lot of how Kurkdjian did Ultra Mâle.

Ambergris helps in the marriage of classic and gourmand. From the heart notes onwards it does nicely stay outside of that gourmand territory but Oajan certainly has its array of mouthwatering notes prevalent.

Upon reapplying I seem to get more booziness this time over, from what I gather that would be the Davana. There is also something similar to oud present. So imagine the classicalness in this one as something like 80% incense resin, 20% boozy oud. Holding its own very well against aforementioned gourmandness. This makes it come across classy and niche. Think MFK, to put it in a tier.

However, I feel that there are better competitors out there. I'm not entirely convinced about the matched notes either. Also considering the price, this one's a neutral for me.
Jan 28, 2020

Well okay, I have to give this one to Parfums de Marly. I'm admittedly not a big fan of a house that has since 2010, taken the historical self-flummery of Creed and superimposed it over higher-budget but still clearly designer-tier scents. They figured heavier caps and a fake royal crest could make up the difference for their $300-ish price points, and later compositions have amped-up synthetic bases to try and give more performance factor for the money. With Oajan (2013), the house does something a bit different from the earlier barbershop/cologne vibes and the later bourgeois ambroxan bombs by going in a pretty authentic gourmand direction. This release sits in the same Middle East-themed series as Habdan (2013) and Hamdani (2013) but doesn't pretend to use any oud in the base. Instead, we get what is at its core an amber fragrance built up with gourmand notes, and it doesn't feel like emperor's new clothes or some luxe spin on a designer mold, which is surprising considering the house's release history.

The opening of Oajan is spicy with cinnamon, some blood orange, honey, and a fruity osmanthus note that is most rare in masculine market fragrances. Usually the apricot-like note of osmanthus is preferred in women's fruity floral bouquets, but here it lends sweetness and brightness to what would otherwise be an oriental tone. Oajan keeps going with artemisia in balance against labdanum and benzoin in the heart, keeping up the slab-thick feel but smoothing it all down with that amber base, boosted by ambrox and tonka. Patchouli and vanilla swirl in for a late-stage classic oriental feel but this is no Guerlain in terms of execution, so you will a bit of separation as the scent "comes apart at the seams" on the final skin scent hours. All told, the gourmand and oriental elements play well together and don't feel heavy-handed, but this is still something for fans of rich opaque and warm fragrances. I'd keep Oajan to fall and winter use myself for this very reason, and also use it on romantic evenings or cool weekends on the town. As for performance, you'll get hours and hours of time out of this, so be prepared to scrub it off when done.

Parfums de Marly is still a hard sell even if it hits all the check boxes because there are just so many better things for less that you could buy in the segments it typically stalks as a brand. However, in lieu of a classic Pasha de Cartier (1992), Opium Pour Homme (1995), Rochas Man (1999), or even Dior Homme (2005), Parfums de Marly Oajan will "get it done" with a similar warm fruit and spice on rich base if the price is right for you, although I wouldn't call this a good value or anywhere near as significant. Shyamala Maisondieu (wife of Antoine) did a phenomenal job here, and for someone looking to upgrade to a luxury house but looking for something comfy without pretense, I'd suggest Oajan as a good fit, but I'd also have that same person take a look at Serge Lutens as well, since this kind of vibe has sorta been his thing a lot longer than Parfums de Marly. Thumbs up, but test first, and consider looking online for a sample if you're in the US because most of this 2013 series didn't make it to US shores.
Sep 16, 2019

From July, 2016:

Obviously, Oajan is very similar to Ambre Narguile. In fact, unless I had them side by side I wouldn't be able to tell you a single difference between the two. That said, this is the best Ambre Narguile clone (no denying it) available. Dolcelisir, while close, smells significantly cheaper, and Helium feels drier and a bit spicier (it's good, but different). Oajan is more or less identical. In fact, it probably performs better, as Ambre Narguile is somewhat close to the skin, and Oajan gets out there a little more. As with most PdM fragrances, performance is very good. Aside from the superior performance, Oajan is significantly cheaper. You can find it for about $160 for a 125ml as opposed to Ambre Narguile which you're not going to find for less than $250 for a 100. While Oajan's MSRP is around $275, it's frequently discounted. So in my opinion, Oajan is the better buy. Several years ago, Ambre Narguile was the way to go as it was really the only one of its kind. Not anymore. While PdM loses points for more or less creating a clone, I'll give them credit for doing a mighty fine job of it and for making Ambre Narguile available at a much cheaper price. Thumbs up. Did I mention I really like the way this smells?
Aug 13, 2019

Ooh, this is a nice one! Oajan by Parfums de Marly reminds me so much of several of AJ Arabia / Widian niche offerings that are sophisticated gourmand formulations, full of layers of well-blended notes!

There is a deep, rich quality to Oajan that captivates me and feels like it's communicating a profound message. I know nothing of horse breeds and the whole equestrian lifestyle, for which Oajan is dedicated to; but I need not know anything of those to appreciate this masterpiece.

Osmanthus is a welcome dominating presence here, having a ripe apricot floral air synergized by the classy rich honey and tasteful sprinkles of cinnamon - REALLY pleasant! Davana adds a deep boozy red wine fruitiness that dances on the edges around the osmanthus. The ambergris adds a waxy, slightly bitter cloud inside the scent. And all the remaining notes serve to play artfully subtle supporting roles that inject tiny bits of sweetness and resin in the heart of this amazing cloud.

If I were to have thick liquid black cherry juice in a bottle, that would approximate my perceptions in toto of Oajan. It's friendly, philosophical, dignified, and truly a pleasure to wear - one of the best that I've sampled in recent times, and I've checked out a LOT. :-)
Feb 13, 2019

Show more reviews of Oajan...

Add your review of Oajan