Floris (1951)

Overall

No. 89 by Floris

About No. 89 by Floris

Floris

A quintessentially English fragrance, the traditional gentlemen's choice. No. 89 for men is synonymous with suave and is in fact the preference of James Bond himself.

Where to buy No. 89

Reviews of No. 89 by Floris

There are 43 reviews of No. 89 by Floris.

No. 89 is a gentleman's delight: a fresh cut, fresh shave, pocket square, loafers, and a pep in one's step.

Who am I kidding? When have I ever been this man? I suppose its never too late, but for now, I am wearing No. 89 for just me, myself, and I, as I wear my WFH (work from home) attire of an Underarmor shirt and sweats. This is the beauty of fragrance. Do we really need to wear it for others, or can we be liberated from these expectations and just embrace it for our own ephemeral journey into reverie? My life has been a journey into reverie lately, so I will gladly take this No. 89 and wear the hell out of it. I'll revel in its classicism and aromatic panache!

There is a starchy, powdery elegance that is the backbone of No. 89, with its lavender, rose and moss being its soul, and its musk and woods its spirit. There aren't any plot twists, no cliffhangers, no thought-provoking notes that attempt to provide 'interest.' It is unpretentious, and it's a relief from all the pedantry and artful braggadocio that fragheads navigate through, because of course this was made as more an artful utility than as an artful expression. It reminds me that all the thin slices of pie that are rationed out in this relatively new subculture that is called "fragcomm" can dilute the personal experience and render it needlessly self-conscious, vain, and hedonistic. It can also make the yearning more painful. It can really be quite exhausting.

A fragrance like this sort of brings me back to center, and I am thankful for that.

This is a negative for someone under 45.

I gifted the fragrance to my father after wearing it a few times.

It reminds me of a powdery, soapier version of the scents that my grandfather wore.

I doubt that the modern James Bond would wear this fragrance as it reminds me of perfumes worn by more elderly gentlemen.

Another scent I tried on a blind buy whim that I've come to love.

It's not quite a cologne, but sort of has a similar vibe. Not exactly barbershop, but kind of. More than a bit soapy and a little powdery.

This is one of my "go to" scents for appointments where you want to smell good, scrubbed but not loud or offensive.

A gentleman's scent for sure.

FLORIS – No. 89 (1951)

Floris' No. 89 begins very much like its classic No. 127 with bursts of neroli and petitgrain. This is not surprising, since they share eight notes in the top and heart with nutmeg being the only addition in 89. The base notes in 127 are only two: musk and patchouli, wherein 89's base notes are more complexly woody.

The nutmeg pretty well takes over from the citrus blast, which fades quickly. This turns 89 into a dry, dusty, quiet scent. As it settles into the base, we are basically left with the cedar and sandalwood supporting the nutmeg. I get no oak moss or vetiver impressions and the rose and ylang are indecipherable to my nose.

Overall then, this is a dry and quiet scent, dusty and woody and rather unremarkable.

No. 89 attends the class reunion with Jean Nate Concentrated Cologne, Eau Sauvage, and other supercharged eaux de cologne, sharing their perfumey citrus and soap substructure. Floris's rendition is more discreet and somewhat shorter lived than some others in this class.

This is nice, different, a regal-type of fragrance. To my nose: rose, wood and a touch of soap powder. To use for special occasions in a suit and tie.

Show more reviews of No. 89...

Add your review of No. 89