Floris (1951)

Overall

About No. 89 by Floris

Floris

A quintessentially English fragrance, the traditional gentlemen's choice. No. 89 for men is synonymous with suave and is in fact the preference of James Bond himself.

Where to buy No. 89

Reviews of No. 89 by Floris

There are 42 reviews of No. 89 by Floris.

This is a negative for someone under 45.

I gifted the fragrance to my father after wearing it a few times.

It reminds me of a powdery, soapier version of the scents that my grandfather wore.

I doubt that the modern James Bond would wear this fragrance as it reminds me of perfumes worn by more elderly gentlemen.
Oct 8, 2021

Another scent I tried on a blind buy whim that I've come to love.

It's not quite a cologne, but sort of has a similar vibe. Not exactly barbershop, but kind of. More than a bit soapy and a little powdery.

This is one of my "go to" scents for appointments where you want to smell good, scrubbed but not loud or offensive.

A gentleman's scent for sure.

Aug 17, 2021

FLORIS – No. 89 (1951)

Floris' No. 89 begins very much like its classic No. 127 with bursts of neroli and petitgrain. This is not surprising, since they share eight notes in the top and heart with nutmeg being the only addition in 89. The base notes in 127 are only two: musk and patchouli, wherein 89's base notes are more complexly woody.

The nutmeg pretty well takes over from the citrus blast, which fades quickly. This turns 89 into a dry, dusty, quiet scent. As it settles into the base, we are basically left with the cedar and sandalwood supporting the nutmeg. I get no oak moss or vetiver impressions and the rose and ylang are indecipherable to my nose.

Overall then, this is a dry and quiet scent, dusty and woody and rather unremarkable.
Jun 25, 2020

No. 89 attends the class reunion with Jean Nate Concentrated Cologne, Eau Sauvage, and other supercharged eaux de cologne, sharing their perfumey citrus and soap substructure. Floris's rendition is more discreet and somewhat shorter lived than some others in this class.
Feb 2, 2020

This is nice, different, a regal-type of fragrance. To my nose: rose, wood and a touch of soap powder. To use for special occasions in a suit and tie.
Jan 19, 2020

The real James Bond would never have worn this. Sean Connery? Not on your life. This is quite strong Pot Poury. Dandy old man stuff. Close to a wash off.
Snap with photofinish's review.
Fragrance : 5.5/10
Projection: 7/10 (unfortunately)
Longevity : 7/10 ('')
Aug 2, 2019

Show more reviews of No. 89...

Add your review of No. 89