Chanel (1971)

Overall

About No. 19 by Chanel

Chanel
Henri Robert

Named after Chanel's birthday (19th August). A sophisticated scent which was created especially for Coco Chanel to use and to give to friends and favourite clients.

Where to buy No. 19

Reviews of No. 19 by Chanel

There are 120 reviews of No. 19 by Chanel.

The world is changed.

Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

Thousands of years from now, a Gandalf-like perfumer combs dusty archives, looking for clues. Looking for answers. What were these great works of art like before we changed them? Before we lost them?

Chanel No. 19 is the best fragrance ever created. There's nothing better. I wish everyone could have the same experience I did: I was fourteen or so, having fun in a cosmetics store, smelling different perfumes and suddenly-- there it was. Heaven. Perfection. Clear and simple and exponentially better than anything else.

I hadn't read a thing about it, and I only discovered years later that Chanel No. 19 is considered to be a "bitchy" or cold perfume to be worn by heartless cold bitches. This is not true. Don't believe those reviews. Those are words written by damned souls.

It's easy to hate something because it's beautiful. I can forgive this kind of jealousy; it's so transparent.

Harder for me to forgive are the changes to Chanel No. 19 itself.

No, stop. I don't want this review to be yet another ode to the past, another "back in my day" whine, a howl about how the band is much better live and how you kids will just never know what you missed. More and more that kind of review disappoints me. Because things change. The world changes. Perfumes change too. I'm getting older, you're getting older, there is no Santa Claus and the cup of coffee you just drank is *much* closer to your last cup of coffee than it is to your first.

Still. It's hard for me not to cry about this one. It is my precious and I do collect it to somewhat ruinous effect.

Apr 9, 2021

Green,floral and creamy. Unisex classy gem.7.5/10
Feb 1, 2020

It is disfigured since it was discontinued and reformulated ..... after the powdered 19 .... The color of the liquid is changed too ,it went from yellow to green and they removed the vetiver galbanum and the oak moos by some white musks (they did the same with the N ° 5) If you have the chance to own the 1980 version of the perfume (the yellow one) the vintage, estimate yourself happy, you know the true version of the 19 ... Les others who want to be "modern" are pale copies of a perfume that was iconic and wonderful, really cold "heat under the ice" .... A little "bitch" and terribly attractive .... They made a banal version that does not even deserve to be sprayed in the curtains.

Find the vintage version or forget this new erzats, this substitute who wants to be modern and is nothing good, it does not even deserve to be used to clean your windows. this review is for perfume extrait.
Edt & edp are worse. La Maison Chanel ( Chanel House)trying to regain lost customers by doing "Modern" .... lost her soul./

Aug 23, 2019

A few weeks back, a wonderful BN friend (thank you, Maggie!), sent me samples of vintage No. 19, and one evening while watching The Third Man for the umpteenth time, I absently sprayed on a bit of the extrait. As Joseph Cotten proceeded to fall ever deeper for the mysterious Anna, I became subliminally aware of the most bewitching, mossy-green scent--a sophisticated and seemingly morally-ambiguous fragrance that felt utterly a part of the whispery, rain-shadowed streets and alleyways of vintage Vienna. The only question was whether Anna would ever forget Harry and how had I lived for so long without this intriguing and extraordinary scent.

And since I haven't seen it posted much anywhere, I just have to repeat Luca Turin's summation of No. 19 here: "Chanel's mastery of raw materials and orchestration shines through. Starting with a tremendous leafy-peppery green as of the earthy breath of a lush jungle after a storm, the genius of 19 lies in maintaining this unripe greenness like a tense unresolved musical chord to the very end, without succumbing to sweetness. The rigor of intellectual elegance and restraint. An absolute masterpiece."

For once, I agree with LT unequivocally.
Jan 27, 2019

First minute or two I get that good old aldehydic blast from the past that , to my nose , reminds me a little of rubbing alcohol...then it shifts gears to a earth fresh green smell that reminds me a lot of Amouage Opus VII...i get smell of herbs crushed and green twigs breaking and exposing their inner greeness...a little powdery...a feminine/yin version of Macassar...faintly sweetish...smells of high class 50's and 60's to me...type of fragrance that friends of my mom smelled like when I was a kid...very exquisitely blended...a smooth ride, no bumps...as it develops it gets even more gorgeous as the delicate fragrance of different flowers flavor the greenery...the flowers are not overpowering but just blend in perfectly... just little nuances and accents...nice and smooth relaxing drydown...slightly musky and woody continuation of the middle...love it...would definitely rock this...
Sep 18, 2018

Heavy on the powdery iris in the opening and after about 2 hours it finally settles into a very clean but yet piercing green and musky scent. Sadly it also gave me a headache for a short time. I can see where the younger crowd would equate this to an 'old lady perfume', but I prefer this scent on a guy rather than myself. I agree that No. 19 is a very masculine fragrance. Although I cannot wear it myself, I love the smell of No. 19 on others.
Jul 3, 2018

Show more reviews of No. 19...

Add your review of No. 19