Reviews of Nirmala

Overall

Nirmala by Molinard

Add your review of Nirmala

Reviews of Nirmala by Molinard

There are 15 reviews of Nirmala by Molinard.

The comments about the sweaty mangoes made me laugh! On me, Nirmala just smells like a warm, complex, fruity patchouli. The sillage and longevity are moderate. I really enjoy it as a cool weather evening fragrance. Total thumbs up for me, but I can see how it has the potential on someone with different skin chemistry to be too animalic and unpleasantly BO-ish. But on me...it is like an inviting tropical evening.

(However, every once in a while it reminds me of Coty's Vanilla Fields...now how's that for weird? Shades of high school.)

Yes, I get the mango in each sweaty armpit. I mustn't forget to mention, a RIPE mango bathed in cuminesque sweat. Yet, I cannot give a full thumbs down. You know that bit in American Hustle, where she talks about how you just can't stop smelling something with that little bit of rotten in it? That's this! I can't quite figure out why I can't just give this one away. I don't want to wear it. But then I do. The mango is very realistic. Everything that's not dirty and rank is actually very nice, and I want to smell that. But then there's the sweat, and the hot, overripe tropical mango and the dankness.

I don't know what to say. At least it's interesting?

This is a review of the Nirmala EDT that I recently purchased in the Molinard shop located in Nice.

Nirmala opens with a splash of grapefruit and quickly transitions to a tropical fruit explosion with a strange chloride note. Sometimes the bleach morphs into cumin, making this fruity floral a slightly sweaty affair. What is interesting about Nirmala is that it smells like it is pretending to be fruity patchouli. I compared it to Angel and discovered that the 1992 classic had more green patchouli and not as much sweat as the 1955 classic. So we have bleach plus cumin plus super obnoxious fruit plus a jasmine note that I'm not very pumped about plus some creepy “pretend” patchouli. I should hate this. I should be scrubbing it off right now, but I'm not. Nose meet arm. Nose meet arm again. And again.

My only complaint is that the performance isn't that great, but maybe the EDP delivers?

Fans of contemporary fruity patchouli fragrances should check out Nirmala–this could be your classic!

Genre: Fruity Floral

Whatever Nirmala was in 1955, this isn't it. Molinard apparently recycled the name for this Angel imitator, circa 1993. In its third incarnation (since 2000,) Nirmala is a leaner, brighter Angel, both less provocative than the original and less distinctive.

Nirmala's lighter touch is evident from the start: the top notes are more tart than Angel's and suggest citrus rather than lush berries. The two converge after a half an hour or so, as the familiar sweet, foody notes of chocolate and vanilla wrap themselves around the fruit and the patchouli asserts itself in the foundation. Nirmala remains more acidic than Angel, with a touch of chemical abrasiveness at its center. The attempt to lighten an inherently baroque structure leaves Nirmala smelling unfinished – even skeletal – next to its progenitor.

Divergence occurs as Angel's notoriously animalic patchouli intensifies, while Nirmala's stays further in the background. Where Angel is propelled by the discord between its woody oriental base notes and its overwhelmingly sweet fruity floral accord, Nirmala remains more of a straightforward tropical fruit cocktail. This kind of beach vacation twist on Angel has been done better in Profumi di Pantelleria's Jailia, though admittedly at much greater cost. You can also have the same kind of fun-in-the-sun with the more readily available Fresh Sugar Lychee or Nicolaï's Eau Turquoise, with less obvious resemblance to Angel.

I got a sample of this in a grab-bag of scents I had not heard of before and had no preconceptions. It struck me at first as cloyingly sweet but I kept going back to it, as there was something wonderfully irresistible about it. Today I received my full bottle, and it smells even better sprayed. I love this take on vanilla, it is very sensuous and comforting. I have not noticed a sweaty cumin note in Nirmala, but am always unhappy when I discover that note after I have bought a fragrance eg Guerlain Pampleune and Gucci EDP 2002. Nirmala is lovely and I am so glad to have discovered it by chance!

I can't imagine this being a fragrance released in 1955. It's far too fruity (but good fruity) and modern.But, aside from this being a different version (as opposed to a reformulation) of a classic, this is grand. It's Angel minus the vulgarity. I love Angel's vulgarity. It's a love-it-or-hate-it scent but I see Nirmala as being the go-between. It's sweet but not a bomb. It's fruity without being a giant berry. It's sexy without being all plastic and saline breasts.I smelled it at The Perfume House in Portland today and I had to buy it. I'm a guy and I can totally wear this. It's just a great pick-me-up and it makes me smell wonderfully lovely. Nothing more to it. Great all-around.

I've been on a bad run with cumin lately, and it's not stopped with Nirmala! Here's what it smells like:Don't shower for 3 days, then stick a ripe mango under each armpit. That's pretty much it folks.

Lovely lovely scent. I should preface by saying that I have a tricky chemistry, my skin does *horrid* things with overly strong, glaring fruit notes. Many of the modern "fruity florals" turn to bug spray, cough syrup, or earwax on me. I avoid the entire f-f section generally but got a sample of Nirmala and tried it before reading the notes. Happy accident, that! Otherwise I might never have discovered this. Nirmala is simply sublime, the fruits are so well blended that it is a golden, hushed resonance rather than an in-your-face ZOMG SWEET. Please do not confuse it with the modern concoctions that too often smell like perfume sprayed over kool-aid. If you think you hate fruity florals, give Nirmala a try anyway. The fruits and creamy florals are anchored with the wood which keeps Nirmala from getting sticky sweet or cloying. This is what most of today's fruity florals wish they could be.

I never thought I would like this one – a tropical fruity / vanilla fragrance created in 1955: Kind of my idea of a nightmare. It is humbling, enlightening, and a bit shocking to find how good it is. The tropicalness of Nirmala is real but it is accomplished without going over the top. The fruitiness is fresh, sweet, bright, and fulfilling while the vanilla is more of a firm, solid, near woody foundation: It restrains its exhuberance; it doesn't present itself as a super sweetened vanilla bomb. The restrained and mature vanilla is the secret of this fragrance, along with the reduced, skin-scent sillage. It's unique, it's refined, it's creative, and it's easy to wear: An excellent fragrance well ahead of its time.

At first it smells exactly like the blackberry chewing-gum (Hubba-Bubba).Sweet, a little plastic. After 20 minutes becomes "sweaty" (!) - and it is not a feminine sweat, it's the cumin note, which I personally detest.

Nirmala is my new found love. Yes, there is a similarity to Angel, but so well put by Lizzie, "royalty does not shout," and Nirmala though unique and arresting, stays close to the skin and has more of a natural feel to it than Angel, imo.Truly an exotic fragrance fit for a goddess. The mango and other fruits give it a succulent quality, the jasmine elevates, and the vanilla and sandalwood root one to the earth. Simply gorgeous. Make sure you are in your Goddess Mode when wearing.

When I was trying out the Molinard perfumes in their Nice boutique, this was the one that spoke to me the most. It seemed to suit the atmosphere of the French Riviera - citrus fruit,tropical fruit,exotic flowers and sparkling like the light down there. I felt invigorated and cheerful as soon as I spritzed it on. Gradually though I came to realise it had a sultry, more earthy underbelly to it too - like Nice itself - glitzy on the outside but with less salubrious areas lurking beneath the facade (that would be the cumin/mango facet.)

Stop the presses! I think we may have a case of mistaken identity. I cannot speak of the EDT, but I do not recognize Molinard's classic and eternally lovely Nirmala parfum from the descriptions above. Incense? No such note (read below). Heavy? Pepper? Cotton candy? Heaven forfend! Created in 1955, it's a gorgeous, classy, light-hearted, still-current floral & fruit fragrance from the respected 150+ year-old French house of Molinard. It is somewhat similar to Creed's Spring Flowers, also a floral-fruit medly based on jasmine (but with rose instead of fleur-des-isles as its second floral note.) Spring Flowers was orignally a bespoke fragrance created expressly for Audrey Hepburn and was her signature scent for years. (It was finally launched commercially in the mid-90's and is not to be confused with the 60's aldehylic floral unleashed by Givenchy and named for her). Can one imagine Miss Hepburn scenting herself to resemble cotton candy or with anything reminiscent of body odor? From its website, with permission, here is Aedes's description for Normala parfum with which I wholeheartedly concur: "Nirmala was first created as a modern fantasy for royal women who understand the secrets and mystery of feminity. Nirmala is an ideal blend of the purest beauty of the fleurs-des-isles and the passion of scented fruits from fragant gardens: A note of mystery taken from an exotic vanilla found only in orchids. A scent appealing to artistic and mystical women. Top notes of mango, passion fruit, grapefruit and mandarine. Middle notes of jasmine and fleur-des-iles. Base notes of tonka bean, sandalwood, vanilla and blue cedarwood."The sambac jasmine is of the refreshing and tantalizingly green variety. Nirmala parfum is, in fact, what the more synthetic and perhaps a little too obvious (so slightly vulgar) Angel aspires to be. Again, I cannot speak for the EDT, but the parfum is a totally delightful and delicately rounded, well balanced and sophisticted floral redolent of piquant Levantine fruit (both bright & fresh and nostalgically candied). I find absolutely no trace of what some complain of in its poor relation, Angel, or apparently, possibly even the EDT versions of Nirmala (but perhaps that's unconscious guilt-by-association because of its passing resemblence to its sometimes annoying little kid-sister Angel?) The Tonka bean and sandalwood give the barest hint of a tender and all together feminine aura of warm skin and this lends an appealing groundedness, character and an almost nurturing quality to the composition. But it never approaches anything rudely animalic or *body*. This was created for royalty, remember? Nirmala is polite, it stays pretty close to the skin. While it has presence, I could never call this heavy or even intense. Royalty do not shout. One might be tired of fruited florals and that would be fair enough. But Nirmala preceded the fruity floral craze by almost 50 years and should not suffer from the whims of fashion. After all, there is fashion and there is style. When I wear Nirmala, I imagine this to be what Scheherazade would have worn as she courageously beguiled her Sultan with her tales of 1001 Arabian nights. If Aedes bothers to carry it in their carefully edited product lines, can the parfum really be the horrid smelling concoction as other unfortunate reviews might have it? But maybe personal chemistry really can play that large a role. Anyway, I love it on me. I find it feminine without any uptight formality or sainted sweetness, quite like the spirited and classy-sexy Miss Hepburn.

If you're not a fan of heavy "incense" scents such as Nag Champa or Patchouli, stay away from Nirmala.When I first applied Nirmala the initial punch knocked me for a loop. It went on with a strong, tropical fruit (mango ?), slightly black-peppery, Johnson's Baby Powder top note. It was extremely sweet at the start, almost like cotton candy. I had to fight the urge to wash it off.After an hour I sniffed it again. The dry down was extremely powdery, soft and creamy...but still heavy. Later in the day I tested it again. I could still detect the powder, but then caught a hint of patchouli and vanilla.This is an extremely heavy scent that's not for daytime wear. On the other hand, it would make a great nighttime fragrance.

Often compared to Angel, this one is similar but different. It's got the same characteristic heat - some might call it *ahem* body heat or even *sorry Angel and Nirmala fans* odor - but as best I can tell from all the note descriptions I've seen of Nirmala, that sense comes from its grapefruit topnote as opposed to a patchouli basenote. (Side reflection - amazing how those two notes can resemble each other; they are both STRONG and literally come to blows in a Samurai style dual in Aqua Allegoria Pampleplune, one of the most singularly offensive fragrances I've ever smelled.) Oily as it is, the grapefruit never goes away but rather blends down into the fruity heart of the fragrance, ultimately bottoming out on a drift of sandalwood and cedar (another "hello, can you smell ME?!" note in my book.) I just can't pretend to like this fragrance, as it does nothing for me but make me smell unbathed. Oh well, can't wear 'em all.